Alaska Dall - Backpack Hunt: What Clothing?

Stid2677

WKR
What’s that hanging under your arm Steve(caliber/make)? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimber Adirondack 6.5CM/ Swaro Z5 Sheep Hunter with a Spartan Bipod.

2rB3qfah.jpg

Stid, I like the wind shirt principle as well. I use a Patagonia Airshed. Which do you find work well for you?

Stid2677

WKR
Stid, I like the wind shirt principle as well. I use a Patagonia Airshed. Which do you find work well for you?

I use the Patagonia Houdini the most.

But have a few others by OR and Sitka.

ColeyG

WKR
I am a big fan of the Houdini as well. Awesome piece for a variety of activities. More recently I've been digging the Sitka Vapor SD jacket. It's like the Houdini in size and weight, but waterproof. Nice insurance piece for training hikes, etc. They only make it in solid colors unfortunately.

You’ve got the rain gear and puffy covered. In your “Group 1“ owned clothing, the only item from that group that I would bring is the Apex Hoodie. I never bring a softshell on a backpack hunt and you already have the other layers covered With the Apex and Puffy.

From your “Group 2” owned clothing, I’d bring the Sitka Core Lightweight LS and the First Lite SS.

Bring you favorite pants a couple pair of underwear and a few pair of socks and you’re good to go on clothing.

This is the answer. Maybe throw a 3.6 ounce houdini wind shirt in there and you’re set.

anshla

FNG
If you're hunting the opener it can still be pretty warm. I opt for much lighter weight pants than timberlines until September up here. side vents are a huge plus. It's hard not to overheat when hiking 1000' straight up. Start the day with zip-off thermals if its a chilly morning and throw rain pants on if its windy on a ridge.

How heavy of a puffy do you guys recommend bringing. I'm wondering if my Patagonia nano puff would be warm enough

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
It could be warm enough most the time, and not close to warm enough every now and then. Haven’t been on as many sheep hunts as Stid and others in here, but the last two years I found at least a couple times where I was so hot wanted to literally strip to my boxers. Even up high, clear, sunny calm days get just downright HOT. But also had at least a couple times where is just couldn’t get warm enough. When the wind is whipping, spitting rain/snow and your spending hours or overnight up top, it’s hard to be warm enough.

The First new piece I got for the year was upgrading my old Kuiu down hoodie (pre-ultra) to their heavier pro version. Decided on that addition 3 days into my hunt last year.

Like many of the folks, I bring basic layers and no extras except 1 additional pair of underwear and two pair of socks. I do bring a gridfleece (Patagonia R1) layer, light vest, and a poly or silk weight wool short sleeve shirt. The short sleeve is my climbing shirt if super hot or drizzling. That way when I reach top, shed it, dry layer and carry on.

JonnyB

WKR
Just got done with a late season sheep hunt in the wrangells. My brother and I walked about 60 miles and got within 650 yards of a couple shooters but couldn’t seal the deal. As far as clothes go:

Tops:
Fuse LS
Klamath grid fleece
Uncompahgre puffy
SG M5

Bottoms:
OR next-to-none (2 pair total)
Kuiu pro 200 zip offs
OR Ferrosi pants
Uncompahgre bottoms
SG M5

Accessories:
Random ball cap
FL brimmed merino beanie
FL midweight neck gaiter
Merino glove liners
Kuiu Yukon Pro gloves
Kuiu North Star Glommits

Footwear:
Lowa Tibets
OR expedition crocs
Fox River liners (2 pair total)
SG compression socks (heavy hiking days)
Darn Tough hunters HW OTC (2 pair total)
Crocs water shoes (not the original crocs)

Temps were anywhere from mid 20s to low 50s. I will drop down to the lighter weight kuiu mits and possibly eliminate one pair of the socks. Other than that, I wore everything on my list at least once a day and was never uncomfortable.

Just got done with a late season sheep hunt in the wrangells. My brother and I walked about 60 miles and got within 650 yards of a couple shooters but couldn’t seal the deal. As far as clothes go:

Tops:
Fuse LS
Klamath grid fleece
Uncompahgre puffy
SG M5

Bottoms:
OR next-to-none (2 pair total)
Kuiu pro 200 zip offs
OR Ferrosi pants
Uncompahgre bottoms
SG M5

Accessories:
Random ball cap
FL brimmed merino beanie
FL midweight neck gaiter
Merino glove liners
Kuiu Yukon Pro gloves
Kuiu North Star Glommits

Footwear:
Lowa Tibets
OR expedition crocs
Fox River liners (2 pair total)
SG compression socks (heavy hiking days)
Darn Tough hunters HW OTC (2 pair total)
Crocs water shoes (not the original crocs)

Temps were anywhere from mid 20s to low 50s. I will drop down to the lighter weight kuiu mits and possibly eliminate one pair of the socks. Other than that, I wore everything on my list at least once a day and was never uncomfortable.

Great info. I've got a similar setup except for gloves and I wish I had a brimmed Merino Beanie.

We leave Fairbanks in 7 days including tomorrow, and we hike out Wednesday the 30th. I'm crazy nervous. Going through fits of anxiety, excitement, fear, anticipation every couple hours. HAHA. First backpack hunt and we will be out 12 days.

JonnyB

WKR
Great info. I've got a similar setup except for gloves and I wish I had a brimmed Merino Beanie.

We leave Fairbanks in 7 days including tomorrow, and we hike out Wednesday the 30th. I'm crazy nervous. Going through fits of anxiety, excitement, fear, anticipation every couple hours. HAHA. First backpack hunt and we will be out 12 days.

You will do great brother! Just remember, take your time and soak it all in. There will always be some level of discomfort but the entire hunt flies by so fast you will be back home wondering how the hell you teleported from your tent back to your bedroom.

Do you guys have one of the federal permits?

You will do great brother! Just remember, take your time and soak it all in. There will always be some level of discomfort but the entire hunt flies by so fast you will be back home wondering how the hell you teleported from your tent back to your bedroom.

Do you guys have one of the federal permits?

No I got the DS140 Draw Dall Sheep Hunt.

Ah gotcha. Good luck man. I’ve seen some dandies come off that tag.

I'd love to get a good one!
Mine is an any ram hunt, so since this is my first backpack hunt, first Dall Sheep Hunt and first Archery Hunt of this style/caliber I'm going to get the biggest ram who gives me an opportunity. So I'm not going to be too picky. Its going to be a heck of a trip!

JonnyB

WKR
Mine is an any ram hunt, so since this is my first backpack hunt, first Dall Sheep Hunt and first Archery Hunt of this style/caliber I'm going to get the biggest ram who gives me an opportunity. So I'm not going to be too picky. Its going to be a heck of a trip!

Heck yeah man, I don’t blame you. I’m still in the less than one club so I’d be the same way.

Go Cam Hanes on'em brotha!

Going on my fist sheep hunt in the Western Alaska Mountain range with Alaska Summit Guide Service.
It's a fly-in backpack style hunt, so I'm trying to balance warmth to weight on what to bring. From what I hear, temps will be 60's - 30's 'F

So far this is what I've decided to take on the hunt:
For rain gear, I have the Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants.
Insulation layer - Arc'teryx Cerium Hoody (850 down fill)

I'm mainly trying to decide what other top clothing pieces to use.
Below is a list of items I already own.
What else would you pick out for me to bring?

Sitka Jetstream Jacket (soft shell)
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket (breathable Polartec)
KUIU Kenai Hoody
Sitka Traverse Zip-T (fleece)
Sitka Apex Hoody

Sitka Core Lightweight Crew LS
Sitka Merino Core Lightweight Half-Zip LS
First Lite SS merino wool shirt
BSeals71, How did you feel your cloths held up when you got back? We cut our hunt a day short technically but I was pretty impressed with our gear over all. Wanted to see how you liked your gear.