Alaska Dall sheep hunt and its weather

tstowater

WKR
As I sit in the Anchorage airport waiting for my flight, I can only think of the weather here since the 30th of August. The long and short is that I did not get to camp until day 6 of a 10 day hunt. The good Lord must have believed I had suffered enough and provided a sacrificial ram on the morning of the 8th day of the hunt. No decent pictures on my phone so I will post some on Thursday if I can figure how to do it. I love to hunt, but this weather was unbelievable. Good luck to the rest of the Alaska hunters.

I feel your pain, that same thing happened on a goat hunt a couple of years back. Sounds like conrats are in order though!!
I heard the weather has been unreal....

looking forward to pics.

R

rebecca francis

Congrats! The weather has definitely been hard to work around this year up there. Can't wait to see the pics!

shanevg

WKR
Congrats on the sheep. I'm glad the sheep cooperated with the weather long enough to make your hunt a success!

swat8888

WKR
What range? Weather was gorgeous up north for the early season...however, I did endure 7 days of straight misery last year in the AK range.

My buddy was hunkered down during the hurricane level winds and driving rain we had a week ago. Demolished a Hilliberg Nallo 3 and had rocks crashing down around them from the cliffs above all night. Luckily they got through it unhurt by some miracle. They ended up stashing about $10k worth of gear in a hole one it calmed down and hiked back out for a new shelter. Went back in with bivi"s the next day and recovered everything then managed to take a decent ram!

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
IMG_0211.jpg

Here is a picture of the ram. I have never had a hunt with so much adverse weather. When the weather cleared long enough, we saw quite a few sheep. Had about 6 hours of decent weather on Saturday and ended up with this one. Ended up getting snowed on going back to camp. Beautiful country whent the clouds clear. KUIU worked great. Guide jacket and pants on with gaiters and base layers. Used vest and spindrift also. Didn't need rain gear, but had it along.

Congrats, and good job. Sounds like you got to experience typical Aug weather. That's our version of "dog days of summer".

Last edited:
OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
I had never experienced Alaska, so I was taken somewhat by surprise. I plan on going back as it is a really neat state. Will do things differently next time as to plane tickets and weather expectations. To used to things going generally without a hitch. Actually was surprised that I didn't "freak out" as much as I could have. Sheep are such a neat animal to hunt. Just wished I could have had some time to hunt something else, but I got really nervous that the weather was going to turn bad and not be able to get out on any sort of timely basis. Patience is the key and be ready when the opportunity presents itself.