Alaska DG345

Hi all. I am new to this forum and am trying to get my 10 posts to post in classifieds. But I did also draw a goat tag this year. I’ve never hunted mountain goats before or hunted in the Seward area which is where my tag is. I’ve hunted for moose, caribou and bear a lot. But this will be my first time not hunting off four wheelers or hunting buggy’s. Looking for anyone that has possibly hunted this tag before? Or just any general knowledge anyone could share. I plan to hunt the last week of September. I also plan to fly over the area at least once hopefully more before our hunt.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Did you make a similar post on the Alaska Outdoor Forums? If so, I responded to you there, but didn't see anything after that. I am familiar with the area, although I haven't hunted this specific tag. You can PM me with specific questions about it if you'd like.

I would say instep crampons are a great idea, and worth packing. Definitely bring trekking poles or a longer ice axe too.

Jimss

WKR
How do you plan on getting to DG345? It can be a treacherous boat ride! It can also be a challenge getting from the water to beach. I'm pretty sure a goat hunter died there several years ago from exposure....and he was a knowledgeable outdoorsman! The weather in late September can be downright horrible! Be careful and watch the weather.

OP
K
I am already in pretty decent shape but I do plan on doing more weighted pack training. And yes I did make a post on that page and sorry I didn’t see your response. That forum didn’t seem very lively and then I found this one so I’m gonna use it. I have some Camp Frost crampons to use as well as some nice trekking poles. We plan on hiring a water taxi to drop us off for the tag. Haven’t called one of them yet but from looking at the map they will probably need to drop us in a sheltered bay on the east side of Day harbor. I know the weather that time of year can get quite nasty. But from what limited old forum posts I could find people seemed to agree that end of September was a good time to go to best most of the bad weather and the goats would have nice coats. When most people hunt mountain animals do they hike everything to the top or close to the top and stay? Or do they run a larger base camp and only spike out for a night? My hunting partner and I are having some discussion over that.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I think middle to end of September is the correct timeframe to aim for as well, the goat hair is starting to get longer but there is still some chance for decent weather. I've hunted goats early September, middle of September and end of September all around your tag area. There was a noticeable difference on the hair length for each of those time periods. It also might be hard to find a water taxi who wants to leave Resurrection Bay, and round the Cape. It can get nasty when the seas pick up, Cape Resurrection becomes like a bathtub with waves coming from all directions. Even though it's not far, that area is still exposed until you get a ways back towards Day Harbor. I think you're on track with your plan though to take a water taxi and hunt Day Harbor side. The other option is to have an air taxi drop you off on floats in the lagoon between the beach of Day Harbor and Whidbey Bay. Either way, you'll be starting at sea level.

When I hunt goats I pack light, bring about 3-4 days of food and set camp above the treeline, or at the start of the alpine. Since I'm not selecting specific dates ahead of time with a transporter, I can go during a decent weather window and bring less food. All of most of my goat hunts I have been able to take an animal the next morning after climbing. Goat hunting is a pretty fast and furious type hunt (if the weather is cooperating), compared to say sheep. I wouldn't want to leave a base camp at the beach, and hike up and down multiple times. I would recommend just pack light and take enough food to last through a decent weather window and stay up there until you get one.

Some other random suggestions. Bring leather palmed gloves for bushwacking up. It can be a good idea to bring some rope thicker than just paracord, in order to lower your packs down a steep chute if you get yourself into a tight spot. I obviously try to avoid this, and has only happened to me once solo. But I am glad I had some rope to lower my pack down a steep waterfall ravine. The lesson here is pay attention to the topo map, and select a more gradual descent down with a loaded pack. Even if this is further or different than the way you climbed up.

OP
K
I am proving out both options of transportation just in case. And yeah I want one with nice hair that and my work schedule are two reasons for picking that time. And yeah I think the discussion is pretty much settled on packing for approximately 5 days above tree line and not have to go back down. I would have never thought to bring rope other then paracord so good call on that! Will definitely throw some in. I wonder if water will be a concern. I’ve never had to purify water when hunting off wheelers and trucks before. My current plan is to use a steripen and some tablets.

WRO

WKR
A guy I know did that hunt and flew in to a high lake, they killed nice goats if I remember correctly, may be a better option and It will get you a significant amount of elevation.

There are a couple boat charter options out of Seward that can get you there safely and for cheap. Most of them do not operate towards the end of September and into October because the weather historically doesn't allow it. You can access from the bay directly where the plane landed in the youtube video by either landing craft or raft from a boat, it's fairly protected. Alternatively, there is a private dock in the day harbor if they're willing to drop you there. It's a nightmare getting above tree line, but once there just chill out and a goat will come by. Bring a good climbing glove and crampons. Very thick moss, devils club, and pushki.

Not sure what kind of horse shoe the people in that you tube video have lodged in em, but don't expect weather to be anything link that. It POURED on us for 7 days. Very rarely could we see further than a few hundred yards, but we killed our goats no problem when we could see. Probably would've been a day trip if the weather was clear. It rained so much when we were in there that the narrow channel where the plane was landed in the video opened up to the ocean. It was rushing through the the rock shown in the start of the video. Our boat captain said he had never seen that lake drain to the ocean in 20+ years he accessed that area. Complete shit show.

This is one of them tags that I'm very surprised how crazy the draw odds went in the last 5 years or so. The logistics and access are a legit PITA.

OP, any gear suggestions you've run across that can be helpful? I'll be in DG473 the first week of October.

OP
K
I have found two boat transports that said they would drop me in day harbor weather pending. There suggestion was to be flexible with my dates. I want to go after September 20 because I’ll be moose hunting. So he just said be ready to take a weather opportunity anytime after that. I talked to one company so far that would fly me. The same one from that video. It’s 6x as expensive as the boat. Not totally ruling it out yet but the boat can drop me in the same spot for much less money. Also as far as gear that could be helpful. There were some things listed above like some sort of traction aid like crampons and rope for descending. I was not planning on bringing actual climbing rope until that suggestion. I already run leather palmed gloves for devils club and what not that’s really helpful. I’m new to backpack hunting so I don’t have too many suggestions unfortunately. Buy quality gear so you aren’t miserable is what someone told me haha.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I think if the water taxi is suggesting you can be flexible with your trip dates to ideally go during a nice weather window, you should 100% go that route vs. the air charter. I wouldn't think air taxis have as much flexibility.

Had an amazing time. One of the best trips of my life. Had snow and super high winds early. Didn't end up with a goat but I'm ok with that. Came back with 2 nice foxes and a ton of memories.

sure...here are a few. Haven't transferred all of them over to my laptop yet.

Attachments

• IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8453.JPG
    IMG_8453.JPG
    614.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8486.JPG
    IMG_8486.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8526.JPG
    IMG_8526.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8567.JPG
    IMG_8567.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 69

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
How about the guys who drew DG342? MooreAK and Kaveman907, how did it turn out for ya? I didn't make it out to chase goats near that tag this year, but I was paying attention to the weather. Wind and seas looked pretty rough most of mid-late September.