Alaska DG720 Unit 13D

02crewcab

FNG
Hey yall, new memeber here. Been lurking over Rokslide for years now reading on opinions and gear reviews, but this year my wife drew a goat tag so I figured it was time to create a account. I already contacted Meekins Air, and from talking with Mike we are leaning towards the last week of August or the first week of September to hopefully avoid the rain that August brings. We will be doing lots of camping and glassing leading up to August once break up season is over this spring. I am not posting this to ask "which area to hunt", but more for general advise or helpful info from experienced people that have either hunted goats in AK or even this specific tag. This will be our first fly in mountain hunt together and although I have been creating a gear lists for awhile now, the thought of being dropped off for 7 days and potentially not having the best suited gear can be intimidating. She''ll be shooting a 308 and ill be bringing my 338 win mag.

So...if anyone has any advise, tips, or favorite gear that made their trip better off please feel free to post away. I do have 3 specific questions off the bat.

1. For a spotting scope. Im leaning towards the Kowa 553 due to it being compact and light weight, but would I be missing out by not carrying a 65 or 80mm spotter? Budget is $1500ish, so swaro is not a option unless I find a good deal on a used one.

2. With all the glacier fingers in the mountains of 13D, during late aug/early sept should we be expect to be hunting a little lower near the edge of the vegetation line or higher up on the rocks?

3. What is everyones opinion of side hilling vs coming downward when closing the distance on a billy. I have heard and read mixed opinions on which is the better tactic.

Thanks,
Tyler

Mike and Matt can help you with all the questions you asked here. If I were you, I would pay close attention to their advice and recommendations. Good luck!

OP
02crewcab

02crewcab

FNG
Mike and Matt can help you with all the questions you asked here. If I were you, I would pay close attention to their advice and recommendations. Good luck!
Yes Mike was very helpful when I confirmed our dates yesterday, 27 Aug to 3 Sep. Only thing I didnt pick his brain on was the spotter question. He said plan to be dropped on a glacier and hunt in the rocky lichen areas. Any chance you hunted goats and can provide your experience with side hilling vs coming down on goats during the stalk?

I'm pretty sure I know where Mike's dropping you. I spoke with him again yesterday. I have a DG720 tag, too.

I’ve had that tag three times and killed three goats. Never flew in, but sure hiked a ways. In August, they’re going to be as high as the country allows. Have fun.

IMO that light wt. Kowa is the perfect ticket for goat hunting. I bought mine especially for that purpose. There's no sense in lugging much heavier, even if it is better, glass up the mountain when is not critical to determine legality at long distances.

IMO that light wt. Kowa is the perfect ticket for goat hunting. I bought mine especially for that purpose. There's no sense in lugging much heavier, even if it is better, glass up the mountain when is not critical to determine legality at long distances.

I second this thought. The Kowa 55 was pretty much made for Goat hunting. I’ve even used it, successfully, on sheep hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience in goat country, the "side hilling vs. downhill" question will largely be answered by the terrain in each particular situation. Most of the billies I tried to close the distance on had only one reasonable route of approach...or none at all. Best of luck and please post follow up pics of your hunt! Sounds like you're in for a great time.

OP
02crewcab

02crewcab

FNG
I second this thought. The Kowa 55 was pretty much made for Goat hunting. I’ve even used it, successfully, on sheep hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it from both of y’all. I just picked one up on a mother’s day sale. Sheep are in the plans for future hunts and I was hoping this little spotter would still have enough magnification.

OP
02crewcab

02crewcab

FNG
From my experience in goat country, the "side hilling vs. downhill" question will largely be answered by the terrain in each particular situation. Most of the billies I tried to close the distance on had only one reasonable route of approach...or none at all. Best of luck and please post follow up pics of your hunt! Sounds like you're in for a great time.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll be posting a follow up for sure.