Alaska DIY 2019 moose hunt a cautionary tale part 2

While we were gone the pilot stopped in and dropped off 3 jugs of water.
The weather got really bad that night and we saw 50 mph winds and sideways rain. Dad got bad cramping from the alder death march and dehydration so we just focused on rehydrating and waiting for the weather to break. After 3 days of this and no moose sightings we messaged the pilot to see if he could move us to the float. He messaged back the next day saying that now the float was no good and he saw two "trophy class bulls in our area when he came to drop off the water and we would be making a huge mistake by leaving". At this point I had a hard time believing anything the pilot said but it looked like we weren't gonna float so my as well stay here.
A couple days later (sept 8) I did glass a large bull moose a long way (2 miles) across the canyon up high in a drainage. The wind was perfect and the big bull never moved for 2 days but there was no way just me and dad could have packed that bull back without risking meat spoilage. I messaged the pilot and asked if there was any way he could land on one of the many flat ridges above the bull and he answered simply "no".

The one exciting day of moose hunting we had was on sept 14, the rut was definitely on. We saw 4 different small bulls, (nothing close to 50 inches) that day and all were pushing cows. One thing we noticed is that every cow was going in the same direction, down hill. The next day we were excited, the rut was on and it was just a matter of luck to see a big bull. We went to the same spot and had the same wind and nothing... Went to same spot next day and nothing...
I was concerned that because we were up so high in the mountains (4-5 miles above treeline) that the moose had left and gone down as soon as the rut started. All the research I did suggests that this is what they do. I messaged the pilot asking if he had seen this in his 20 years of flying/hunting there and if so could we move down lower just to have a chance at being successful. When he didn't ignore my messages he would respond with "be patient" or "keep hunting hard". It was very obvious at this point that the pilot had very little interest in us being successful.
The rest of the trip turned out to be a camping trip as we didn't see any moose after sept 14. We spent a total of 16 nights on the ridge. After I got out of the bush I had the opportunity to talk to two other groups who hunted with the same guy and there were both more disappointed than I was.
Locals in the village told me the moose do spend the summers in the high country but come down low to the rivers as soon as the rut starts and they were killing the big bulls on the river out of boats by sept 15-20.

Before the trip the pilot told me his average success rate was around 50% harvest on bulls. He admitted that amongst the 10 licensed hunters this year there were 3 bulls killed, which I bet is more in line with his average. I only got verification of one bull.

All in all we still had a great adventure but it could have been much better. I'm not disappointed about not getting a moose, as any time your pursuing a trophy class animal you better be ok with tag soup. I'm also not looking for pity as I knew it was a gamble going with a lesser known outfit but wanted to let other hunters know that they should be really careful. I've learned my lesson and would never go back to Alaska moose hunting unless it was with a well known highly reputable outfit even if that means paying more or waiting longer. The bottom line is there are alot of other really cool hunts you can go on for the same or less money and you don't have to travel as far.
If anyone wants to know who I went with PM me. Also if you had a good experience with a transporter or outfitter I would appreciate it if you PM me that info.

Sorry to read about your story. We went with a very reputable transporter this year in Unit 18 and killed bulls on days 2 and 4. We had to wait 4 years to get a hunt with the outfit. As someone else also posted, QUALITY DIY Alaska moose hunts are getting much harder to book and much more expensive. Demand is far exceeding supply.

OP
H
Pretty sure Rokslide allows positive and negative reviews of air services. Im looking forwsrd to reading all of this. Until then... If you didn't get what you signed up for, tell the world.

Not sure the policy on that, that’s why I didn’t include the name of the outfit in the post. I want other hunters to know about it so they can learn and avoid a similar situation

CCshirley

FNG
Rough deal I will say now that im living in AK that everything is just a pain. Totally worth it but ya

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank-you for sharing your story. I'm glad that you and your father had adventurous time together. I know you're not looking for sympathy, but you have mine, as well as my respect because It sure sounds like you did your research before the trip, and handled yourself well in the field with good intent and judgement. I hope you and your father can try again. Perhaps a DIY drop-hunt on a lake. I'm three years older than your dad, and I'm still doing it. There are reputable service providers up here. I have used Renfro for the past six years and will again next year. I know he is in high demand, but...

Was looking into a DIY moose hunt for 2021...is there any way you can post who you used? I have seen poor reviews done before...its on us to follow up...dont see how it would be a violation of Rokslide terms/conditions...this has me freaked out that in some way I may end up with someone like this. Know its definitely a possibility either way, however, if there is one I can cross off of the list, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your hunt but glad you and your Dad shared quality time together. As a pilot myself in Alaska I hear all the good and bad stories about the Transporters and Air-Taxi Services up here and have been called several times for advise.
As far as moose rutting grounds I know of areas where moose travel into the high grounds to rut and your can substantiate this by finding moose sheds in that area. I also hunt the marsh (low land) of Alaska and those moose rut their and don't travel as far. Regardless of where you hunt the moose are traveling after the 10th of September and can be called in (Cow Calling) from over 5 miles away.

Anyone reading this post feel free to DM me.

elkdozer

FNG
That stinks.
I too would be very appreciative if you would post up the outfit, as I'm in the process of shortlisting a service for 2021.

While we were gone the pilot stopped in and dropped off 3 jugs of water.
The weather got really bad that night and we saw 50 mph winds and sideways rain. Dad got bad cramping from the alder death march and dehydration so we just focused on rehydrating and waiting for the weather to break. After 3 days of this and no moose sightings we messaged the pilot to see if he could move us to the float. He messaged back the next day saying that now the float was no good and he saw two "trophy class bulls in our area when he came to drop off the water and we would be making a huge mistake by leaving". At this point I had a hard time believing anything the pilot said but it looked like we weren't gonna float so my as well stay here.
A couple days later (sept 8) I did glass a large bull moose a long way (2 miles) across the canyon up high in a drainage. The wind was perfect and the big bull never moved for 2 days but there was no way just me and dad could have packed that bull back without risking meat spoilage. I messaged the pilot and asked if there was any way he could land on one of the many flat ridges above the bull and he answered simply "no".

The one exciting day of moose hunting we had was on sept 14, the rut was definitely on. We saw 4 different small bulls, (nothing close to 50 inches) that day and all were pushing cows. One thing we noticed is that every cow was going in the same direction, down hill. The next day we were excited, the rut was on and it was just a matter of luck to see a big bull. We went to the same spot and had the same wind and nothing... Went to same spot next day and nothing...
I was concerned that because we were up so high in the mountains (4-5 miles above treeline) that the moose had left and gone down as soon as the rut started. All the research I did suggests that this is what they do. I messaged the pilot asking if he had seen this in his 20 years of flying/hunting there and if so could we move down lower just to have a chance at being successful. When he didn't ignore my messages he would respond with "be patient" or "keep hunting hard". It was very obvious at this point that the pilot had very little interest in us being successful.
The rest of the trip turned out to be a camping trip as we didn't see any moose after sept 14. We spent a total of 16 nights on the ridge. After I got out of the bush I had the opportunity to talk to two other groups who hunted with the same guy and there were both more disappointed than I was.
Locals in the village told me the moose do spend the summers in the high country but come down low to the rivers as soon as the rut starts and they were killing the big bulls on the river out of boats by sept 15-20.

Before the trip the pilot told me his average success rate was around 50% harvest on bulls. He admitted that amongst the 10 licensed hunters this year there were 3 bulls killed, which I bet is more in line with his average. I only got verification of one bull.

All in all we still had a great adventure but it could have been much better. I'm not disappointed about not getting a moose, as any time your pursuing a trophy class animal you better be ok with tag soup. I'm also not looking for pity as I knew it was a gamble going with a lesser known outfit but wanted to let other hunters know that they should be really careful. I've learned my lesson and would never go back to Alaska moose hunting unless it was with a well known highly reputable outfit even if that means paying more or waiting longer. The bottom line is there are alot of other really cool hunts you can go on for the same or less money and you don't have to travel as far.
If anyone wants to know who I went with PM me. Also if you had a good experience with a transporter or outfitter I would appreciate it if you PM me that info.
I would also like to know who u went with. Thank you