Alaska DIY Caribou (and so much more) by Billy Molls

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
I’m booked with 40 Mile Air this August. They told me no to Jet Boil brand because their canisters are not DOT approved. But they said there are several that are and you can bring them. So I’ll bring my jet boil with one of the approved fuel containers.

bgiac49

FNG
Im a few years out from this but this article gets me excited! Thanks for the good info and comments

I know this is a long way out from when this is written but does anyone know how covid has affected the ability to get up to Alaska and has it affected the companies that are flying into the backcountry? Are there any new requirements?

Thanks,

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a long way out from when this is written but does anyone know how covid has affected the ability to get up to Alaska and has it affected the companies that are flying into the backcountry? Are there any new requirements?

Thanks,
Are you planning on going to Alaska this year? Because there are restrictions. If your thinking for next year? It’s anyone’s guess what you will have to deal with.

Are you planning on going to Alaska this year? Because there are restrictions. If your thinking for next year? It’s anyone’s guess what you will have to deal with.
I had originally planned on going up there with my wife this year but with covid we just postponed it. We are looking at starting to plan and we aren't really sure where to start as far as planning with restrictions or plan assuming they will be lifted.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Just go to the state of Alaska website when you get closer to the time of your trip. It changes like the weather so, good luck.

mcseal2

WKR
Check the state regs and regs of any city or village you might travel to. Some towns have stricter rules than the state. Also as was said earlier they can change any time. Check regularly as your trip approaches. Thats what we had to do.

Voyageur

WKR

Tons of info in this thread. Much of it is dated by now, but it gives you a good idea of what can possibly be required.

elk_hntr

FNG
Caribou is at the top of my list for a destination hunt. As my concrete company takes off and gains traction I think this will be my first destination hunt in the next year or two. What is a ballpark price for DIY? Assuming I have all the gear and I'm hunting off the Haul Road how much do I need to save?

AKBorn

WKR
Caribou is at the top of my list for a destination hunt. As my concrete company takes off and gains traction I think this will be my first destination hunt in the next year or two. What is a ballpark price for DIY? Assuming I have all the gear and I'm hunting off the Haul Road how much do I need to save?
I don't think you can PM yet - shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can send you a generic list of DIY AK hunt costs. Then you can pick those that apply to your desired type of hunt...

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard