Alaska DIY Caribou (and so much more) by Billy Molls

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping to do haul rd 2023. Now to drive up there from WI or fly... that's the question

seashift

FNG
attachment.php

Billy's a 20-year veteran Alaskan guide. His how-to articles are some of the most read on Rokslide.

If hunting the Great North DIY is your dream, Billy says there's no better way to experience Alaska than a DIY caribou hunt.

Affordable Adventure sums up Billy's latest article.

Alaska DIY Caribou (and So Much More)

*If you have questions, you can post them up here but Billy is in Africa until after June 24th, so be sure and subscribe to "Thread Tools" top of this post so you'll receive a notification when he posts.

attachment.php
Great info! We are doing our first DIY this year!!

WILLMCC

FNG
Could anyone recommend a good transporter in Alaska for Caribou? How bad is the waiting list?

Could anyone recommend a good transporter in Alaska for Caribou? How bad is the waiting list?
WILLMCC; I would recommend Arrowhead Outfitters. This is not based on personal experience but on my feedback from satisfied hunters during the 2021 seasons. There are other transport companies out there also, I just don't have feedback on them. I own the Golden North Inn and had the pleasure of working with the many great hunters staying with us. We also provide complimentary freezer space for guests on a first come, first served basis.

Nwernig

FNG
This is on my dream list! My son(11 now) and I have began talking about doing something like this in a handful of years, so this article was very informative for me.

Lucas B

FNG
WILLMCC; I would recommend Arrowhead Outfitters. This is not based on personal experience but on my feedback from satisfied hunters during the 2021 seasons. There are other transport companies out there also, I just don't have feedback on them. I own the Golden North Inn and had the pleasure of working with the many great hunters staying with us. We also provide complimentary freezer space for guests on a first come, first served basis.
Now had I seen this earlier in the year I would have reached out. Golden North was a very under appreciated place to stay when I was looking around.

Please excuse my absence, but I'm sure you all will agree a totally wild cape buffalo safari in Africa is justifiable excuse-- by the it was was an unbelievalbe experience.

Anything I can help with on caribou, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm already itching to get my first taste of early season caribou tenderloin grilled over an open bed of willow coals!

Good Hunting,
Hey Billy, I am looking into a DIY caribou hunt in 2026 but trying to get everything booked and locked down. I’m much more interested in the terrain and opportunity to hunt larger caribou in the SBR but the company I have been in contact with only does NBR. Do you have any recommendations for outfits that we should use for a SBR hunt? Or any first time advice for my thoughts, if you think a NBR hunt will still be a good successful trip.