Alaska DIY Caribou

JohnsonA

FNG
Sorry to do this to everyone, but I am new here. I know there seems to be lots of discussion on some threads about DIY caribou hunts in Alaska, but I have some questions...

Obviously, I have never been to Alaska. DIY hunting is what I prefer, whether it be deer, elk, etc. and that harder the hunt, the more I like it. With that being said, my brother and I are kicking around the idea of heading to Alaska for caribou.

Have found several outfits that fly hunters in, airboat hunters in, and also just learned that there are zones along the Dalton Highway that permit rifle hunting over 5 miles off the road. I am confident our physical condition, gear, ability, etc would enable my brother and I to handle getting 5 miles off the road, and back no problems. However, one of my main concerns is WHERE??

Are there pretty much decent resident caribou numbers regardless of where you are on the North Slope? Or is the migration everything? Can anyone provide me any insight as to where we would ideally need to be? Unit 25? 26?

I have no objection of hiring one of the above mentioned outfits to get us in, especially if their knowledge of WHERE the caribou are pays off!!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If you have never been to AK than you have no idea what hiking 5 miles in the Tundra is like!! Nothing in the L48 can prepare you for it. That said, you should do it! Paying for a fly in IS usually worth it if you plan weather days and have all the gear. Most outfits (air taxis) are reliable, and will put you by at least by some caribou. The unit doesn't matter as much as getting lucky.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
If you have never been to AK than you have no idea what hiking 5 miles in the Tundra is like!! Nothing in the L48 can prepare you for it. That said, you should do it! Paying for a fly in IS usually worth it if you plan weather days and have all the gear. Most outfits (air taxis) are reliable, and will put you by at least by some caribou. The unit doesn't matter as much as getting lucky.
Thanks for the reply, and duly noted. That being said, we've carried elk out 8 miles in, with two grade climbs of more than 4,500 feet of elevation change. I hear the horror stories of tundra walking, and tussoks, but I believe we are up to the challenge physically.

But my biggest concern is that we have no idea where we are going, and make that slow 5 mile walk into an area where we never stood a chance to see anything anyway!

(I hope this didnt come off as arrogant, I just want you to understand my thought process and my questions)

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
I have read quite a few posts by Western state hunters who said nothing prepared them for slogging 5 miles over the wet tussocks, so please don't underestimate them, even if you consider yourself to be in excellent shape. That said, hunting caribou in Alaska is an awesome adventure, and might provide the opportunity to see caribou, moose, bears, wolves, wolverine, or perhaps even musk ox if you are up north. Go for it and enjoy a hunt you'll remember for the rest of your life.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I have read quite a few posts by Western state hunters who said nothing prepared them for slogging 5 miles over the wet tussocks, so please don't underestimate them, even if you consider yourself to be in excellent shape. That said, hunting caribou in Alaska is an awesome adventure, and might provide the opportunity to see caribou, moose, bears, wolves, wolverine, or perhaps even musk ox if you are up north. Go for it and enjoy a hunt you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Again, thanks for the reply, and we certainly wont take it lightly. But we are up for the challenge of getting more than 5 miles off the road.

Any suggestion of what unit/area?

AKBorn

WKR
Again, thanks for the reply, and we certainly wont take it lightly. But we are up for the challenge of getting more than 5 miles off the road.

Any suggestion of what unit/area?
I've been hunting unit 20 (specifically the 40 Mile country) for the past 15 years or so, so my intel is way dated on the other areas of the state. Some guys should be along soon to chime in on other good/best units. Unit 20 is a good unit to hunt the 40 Mile herd, if you can get a bush flight into the good areas. Those guys get booked up pretty fast.

Ono

FNG
I think someone here said hiking through the tundra was like walking on/ through a field of endless fuzzy basketballs. Wasn't sure what they meant until I tried it. Apt description. ADFG has a ton of info on herd status, succes rates, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I think someone here said hiking through the tundra was like walking on/ through a field of endless fuzzy basketballs. Wasn't sure what they meant until I tried it. Apt description. ADFG has a ton of info on herd status, succes rates, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks! I did try to call up there but have not gotten thru to anyone yet.

z987k

WKR
It'll be a crapshoot if there's many caribou near the road. Sometimes there is, sometimes they're 100 miles away. Time of year will also play a factor. Are they hearded up and migrating yet or are they all over the place. Couple hear and there.
If the ground is frozen and there's snow, a little kid's sled pulls really nice, behind some x-c skis if there's a lot of snow. Usually they're all but gone at that point but not always. It makes it a lot easier though. 5 miles on skis is nothing.

If you don't care about a trophy, you'll probably see a cow at some point. Bring a bow also. Nothing worse than a heard crossing the road 15ft in front of you and you can't shoot one.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you decide to hunt from the road, travel there in late august to first week of sept for the best chance of a non-white experience with some caribou scattered.

Drive past Galbraith Lake to Happy Valley before you try to hunt or stalk anything. This gives you a road range to survey for animal traffic. Once you spot where they are crossing, find an elevation point and scope the Sag River to ID where they are actually crossing that river toward the road. That's the focal point you want to concentrate on. Once the travel ways are laid down, time is what decides your success, not stalking everything you see with hunters on either flank. You'll see plenty of that, but success is about 10% that way.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I've been hunting unit 20 (specifically the 40 Mile country) for the past 15 years or so, so my intel is way dated on the other areas of the state. Some guys should be along soon to chime in on other good/best units. Unit 20 is a good unit to hunt the 40 Mile herd, if you can get a bush flight into the good areas. Those guys get booked up pretty fast.
Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for air service?
If you decide to hunt from the road, travel there in late august to first week of sept for the best chance of a non-white experience with some caribou scattered.

Drive past Galbraith Lake to Happy Valley before you try to hunt or stalk anything. This gives you a road range to survey for animal traffic. Once you spot where they are crossing, find an elevation point and scope the Sag River to ID where they are actually crossing that river toward the road. That's the focal point you want to concentrate on. Once the travel ways are laid down, time is what decides your success, not stalking everything you see with hunters on either flank. You'll see plenty of that, but success is about 10% that way.
Thank you. Still the same objective if we are making the 5 mile trek from the road?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yes. Chase them in reverse from where you see them cross the road and go the five miles somewhat close to the trail network the bou use...you'll find small bands moving on the same trail system. Now, that wont be a beeline 5-miles that way. They zig zag all over for no apparent reason, but that's the most effective pursuit.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
yes. Chase them in reverse from where you see them cross the road and go the five miles somewhat close to the trail network the bou use...you'll find small bands moving on the same trail system. Now, that wont be a beeline 5-miles that way. They zig zag all over for no apparent reason, but that's the most effective pursuit.
Perfect thank you! I guess my “million dollar question” at this point is this:

Let’s say we are in Unit 26 and head west of the highway (anywhere)... are we apt to at least find some resident animals, or are large portions of the slope void of them until the migration starts? Do we need to do serious research to even find a caribou or do most areas generally host at least some?

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm not sure if your realizing this, but most people aren't willing to give up locations on the interweb. Do some research. Asking a question like "where should I go?" does not count as research.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as planning a haul road caribou hunt in the near future. I've done research and have come to what I believe to be a conclusion, without straight up asking people for spots. From this point, its just going and seeing for myself.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I'm not sure if your realizing this, but most people aren't willing to give up locations on the interweb. Do some research. Asking a question like "where should I go?" does not count as research.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as planning a haul road caribou hunt in the near future. I've done research and have come to what I believe to be a conclusion, without straight up asking people for spots. From this point, its just going and seeing for myself.
Haha you’ll have to copy and paste where I asked anyone for “their spot”..... I’ll wait.

I felt pretty confident I was asking very broad, general questions about the North Slope. It’s a pretty big area. Best of luck on your hunt!

Geewhiz

WKR
Haha you’ll have to copy and paste where I asked anyone for “their spot”..... I’ll wait.

I felt pretty confident I was asking very broad, general questions about the North Slope. It’s a pretty big area. Best of luck on your hunt!

1. "However, one of my main concerns is WHERE??"
2. "Can anyone provide me any insight as to where we would ideally need to be?"
3. "Any suggestion of what unit/area?"

There's a few.

You've got 7 posts since joining this site and they are all on this thread. I don't mean to be rude but maybe you don't realize how hard folks work for the information your asking for. Exert a little effort on your part and do some of your own research. Stick around a bit and contribute some of your expertise. If you use the search function there is a wealth of information on this site alone about your specific question. Take a look at the alaska fish and game site, other forums, you tube etc. etc.

Kinda stereotypical for a new member on this site to ask a question like yours. "I know its really hard for most people but its no problem for me. I'm willing to hike farther than everybody else but I just want somebody to tell me where to go. Not asking for honey holes of course."

In my humble opinion, there isn't a hunt that is overcomplicated more than the Haul Rd Caribou hunt. If you are in shape, you can walk the 5 miles, it's not that bad. Yes, there are resident caribou throughout the unit and if you walk out, find a good knob to glass on for a few days, I'd guess you're likely to see Caribou. Over the past 8 years of hunting up there, I see more caribou traveling NE to SW than any other direction, In August/September.

I see several groups walking out the 5 miles each year, but I rarely see them return with caribou. I honestly believe you'd have better luck bowhunting them even if you are brand new to bowhunting, than the 5 mile aimless wander into the tundra to an area you hope to see some.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
In my humble opinion, there isn't a hunt that is overcomplicated more than the Haul Rd Caribou hunt. If you are in shape, you can walk the 5 miles, it's not that bad. Yes, there are resident caribou throughout the unit and if you walk out, find a good knob to glass on for a few days, I'd guess you're likely to see Caribou. Over the past 8 years of hunting up there, I see more caribou traveling NE to SW than any other direction, In August/September.

I see several groups walking out the 5 miles each year, but I rarely see them return with caribou. I honestly believe you'd have better luck bowhunting them even if you are brand new to bowhunting, than the 5 mile aimless wander into the tundra to an area you hope to see some.
This is literally all I was looking for, thanks a bunch!

And with that, I will be signing out!
1. "However, one of my main concerns is WHERE??"
2. "Can anyone provide me any insight as to where we would ideally need to be?"
3. "Any suggestion of what unit/area?"

There's a few.

You've got 7 posts since joining this site and they are all on this thread. I don't mean to be rude but maybe you don't realize how hard folks work for the information your asking for. Exert a little effort on your part and do some of your own research. Stick around a bit and contribute some of your expertise. If you use the search function there is a wealth of information on this site alone about your specific question. Take a look at the alaska fish and game site, other forums, you tube etc. etc.

Kinda stereotypical for a new member on this site to ask a question like yours. "I know its really hard for most people but its no problem for me. I'm willing to hike farther than everybody else but I just want somebody to tell me where to go. Not asking for honey holes of course."
Best of luck to you fella!

Below youll find a gentleman who answered all I was simply asking for, without any baggage or compalint. Cheers to him!!

Maybe I'll run into you in Fairbanks, Ill buy you a beer, seems like you need it!

This is literally all I was looking for, thanks a bunch!

And with that, I will be signing out!

Best of luck to you fella!

Below youll find a gentleman who answered all I was simply asking for, without any baggage or compalint. Cheers to him!!

Maybe I'll run into you in Fairbanks, Ill buy you a beer, seems like you need it!
Pretty sure that area is a 1 bull only unit for Non-Residents and season ends Sept 15