Alaska DIY Caribou

Enjoyed reading everyones replys. We're going to do a fly in DIY next year. Have been reading, watching everything I can. Can't wait.

I'm typically a bow hunter. Have taken elk, black bear, pigs, whitetail all with a bow. Is there enough brush to bow hunt there? My initial thought is my hunting partner is going to take his rifle. If we see a caribou I'd like to harvest and we can't get into range I just use his rifle.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to do this to everyone, but I am new here. I know there seems to be lots of discussion on some threads about DIY caribou hunts in Alaska, but I have some questions...

Obviously, I have never been to Alaska. DIY hunting is what I prefer, whether it be deer, elk, etc. and that harder the hunt, the more I like it. With that being said, my brother and I are kicking around the idea of heading to Alaska for caribou.

Have found several outfits that fly hunters in, airboat hunters in, and also just learned that there are zones along the Dalton Highway that permit rifle hunting over 5 miles off the road. I am confident our physical condition, gear, ability, etc would enable my brother and I to handle getting 5 miles off the road, and back no problems. However, one of my main concerns is WHERE??

Are there pretty much decent resident caribou numbers regardless of where you are on the North Slope? Or is the migration everything? Can anyone provide me any insight as to where we would ideally need to be? Unit 25? 26?

I have no objection of hiring one of the above mentioned outfits to get us in, especially if their knowledge of WHERE the caribou are pays off!!

Thank you in advance!

So, what did you end up doing?