Alaska DIY Caribou

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to imagine walking/packing a good sized bull five miles on tundra? Add in some hills? Several trips for each bull? Nope.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I am trying to imagine walking/packing a good sized bull five miles on tundra? Add in some hills? Several trips for each bull? Nope.
We may regret it... but seems like a good challenge and something we will always remember!

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Pretty sure that area is a 1 bull only unit for Non-Residents and season ends Sept 15
I believe you are right, which is fine with us. All I’m trying to avoid is going to Alaska and putting myself in an area where there are no caribou.

Hoping that nobody thinks I’m asking for their trophy spot or best hunting location. I simply would like info on an area where we would at least have a chance at seeing caribou, period.

chucko

FNG
Okay after spending over 20yrs hunting caribou in northwest Alaska I would highly suggest throwing down for a airplane . You will spend close to the same amount anyways and your hunt quality will be significantly less . The flight in and out is worth the price of admission anyways . I would rather do a 20 mile mountain hunt then walk 5 miles in the tundra. Warren Miller always said do not wait another year or you will just be 1 year older when you do !

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Okay after spending over 20yrs hunting caribou in northwest Alaska I would highly suggest throwing down for a airplane . You will spend close to the same amount anyways and your hunt quality will be significantly less . The flight in and out is worth the price of admission anyways . I would rather do a 20 mile mountain hunt then walk 5 miles in the tundra. Warren Miller always said do not wait another year or you will just be 1 year older when you do !
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately we have been trying several plane and airboat outfits and have not had much luck getting any response...

Any suggestions as to who to use or get ahold of?

Have you tried air taxis out of Kotz in unit 23? Golden Eagle has been good. Like mentioned by the time you rent a vehicle in Fairbanks it may be similar cost to a fly out. The advantage is the pilot should have intel on the bou....

the only thing about the haul rd is like Nick said- the caribou can be anywhere and nowhere. Cant really tell you where they will be any given time... but the odds are in the right week you should see something....

Last edited:
Another thought- there are non-traditional caribou hunts-

Adak island has resident bou if you are willing to hike for them like you say you want to.

Also Kodiak has a herd of caribou and you can add 3 blacktail bucks each for the best combo hunt!

only dray back is trophy potential is low

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Have you tried air taxis out of Kotz in unit 23? Golden Eagle has been good. Like mentioned by the time you rent a vehicle in Fairbanks it may be similar cost to a fly out. The advantage is the pilot should have intel on the bou....

the only thing about the haul rd is like Nick said- the caribou can be anywhere and nowhere. Cant really tell you where they will be any given time... but the odds are in the right week you should see something....
I have not tried them, but will definitely look into it!

so you are saying that renting a Uhaul out of Fairbanks for a week may be as expensive as a flight in?

22lr

WKR
Driving up in a uhaul isn't too expensive for a pair or trio, if going alone then flying in won't be much more expensive. Just remember, when calculating gas, add about $3-$4 a gallon over the current price in Fairbanks, and be ready to pay it (you will have to prepay before you pump, cards are accepted but cash is safer and you dont have to worry about the card machine being down). I caution people wanting to drive up to the Arctic Circle all the time, once you leave Fairbanks there is nothing between stops and you have to pay the price. Pay attention to real MPG you get at each stop (not the gauges/readouts) and do math. You will absolutely hit points of no return where if you cross a certain line the only way back is 80 miles forward. Just know where those lines are. Getting a copy of the Milepost guide is the best money you can spend on this trip (if you drive). Do not rely on any digital maps to tell you where gas is, use the current years milepost guide.

To echo everyone else. Spots mean nothing, the herd moves. But, pay attention to the ADF&G website, phone lines and Facebook pages. You will have rough ideas of where to pinpoint your trip start once you land in Fairbanks. Be flexible, don't get emotionally attached to a location if the reports say the herd has passed that area or hasn't made it there yet.

Also, look up your cell phone company coverage maps. Not all companies have great reception in Fairbanks. Do not rely on being online for anything once you hit Fairbanks (have ADF&G numbers saved, maps downloaded... etc).

Finally, while in Fairbanks. Lock your damn doors. If you park at the Fred Meyers or Walmart to grab something, just expect someone will try to open your door. In a rental your all the more a target. Lock your doors, don't stay inside the store forever, don't let your gear sprout legs. Most out of staters are shocked at the levels of homelessness and crime in Fairbanks (not to mention Anchorage). Just something to keep in mind as your not going to have a bunch of options if someone walks off with your backpack.

Good luck, Alaska is a phenomenal place. I may see you on the road!

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Driving up in a uhaul isn't too expensive for a pair or trio, if going alone then flying in won't be much more expensive. Just remember, when calculating gas, add about $3-$4 a gallon over the current price in Fairbanks, and be ready to pay it (you will have to prepay before you pump, cards are accepted but cash is safer and you dont have to worry about the card machine being down). I caution people wanting to drive up to the Arctic Circle all the time, once you leave Fairbanks there is nothing between stops and you have to pay the price. Pay attention to real MPG you get at each stop (not the gauges/readouts) and do math. You will absolutely hit points of no return where if you cross a certain line the only way back is 80 miles forward. Just know where those lines are. Getting a copy of the Milepost guide is the best money you can spend on this trip (if you drive). Do not rely on any digital maps to tell you where gas is, use the current years milepost guide.

To echo everyone else. Spots mean nothing, the herd moves. But, pay attention to the ADF&G website, phone lines and Facebook pages. You will have rough ideas of where to pinpoint your trip start once you land in Fairbanks. Be flexible, don't get emotionally attached to a location if the reports say the herd has passed that area or hasn't made it there yet.

Also, look up your cell phone company coverage maps. Not all companies have great reception in Fairbanks. Do not rely on being online for anything once you hit Fairbanks (have ADF&G numbers saved, maps downloaded... etc).

Finally, while in Fairbanks. Lock your damn doors. If you park at the Fred Meyers or Walmart to grab something, just expect someone will try to open your door. In a rental your all the more a target. Lock your doors, don't stay inside the store forever, don't let your gear sprout legs. Most out of staters are shocked at the levels of homelessness and crime in Fairbanks (not to mention Anchorage). Just something to keep in mind as your not going to have a bunch of options if someone walks off with your backpack.

Good luck, Alaska is a phenomenal place. I may see you on the road!
Thank you very much! Great information!

So there are “real time” sites to locate the general location of the herds? Am I reading that correctly?

22lr

WKR
Thank you very much! Great information!

So there are “real time” sites to locate the general location of the herds? Am I reading that correctly?
Semi real time, they are often updated every few days/week. There are lines you can call to get info. Ill caveat, not all herds are covered with these lines, and your results may vary. I hunted the 40 mile herd in 2020, and while the lines said the bulk of the herd had passed the road system, me and my buddy still got our 2 apiece, just never saw the big bulls. I would definitely recommend the haul road over what I did though. Soon as you take quads out of the equation and people have to walk, the herd of people thins significantly. The 40mile hunt this year was a complete boondoggle, way too many people. Put meat in the freezer, but I won't repeat that hunt for sure. Hundreds of trucks at the trail heads.

If you walk in off the haul road, I wouldn't expect to be completely alone, but you won't be wading through herds of residents trying to fill their freezers. I love my fellow Alaskans, but dang can we pack a trailhead and shoot alot of rounds at questionable targets... Honestly I was planning to walk in off the haul road for just that reason, before my buddy drew a better tag and we decided to fly in for the hunt. They make pull behind sleds that roll up, I was 100% planning to take one to help drag a bou out.

Other than that, you have probably read it before, but just get good waterproof goods with good ankle support, good gaiters and trekking poles. Just plan to go slow and embrace the suck.

AKDoc

WKR
Semi real time, they are often updated every few days/week. There are lines you can call to get info. Ill caveat, not all herds are covered with these lines, and your results may vary. I hunted the 40 mile herd in 2020, and while the lines said the bulk of the herd had passed the road system, me and my buddy still got our 2 apiece, just never saw the big bulls. I would definitely recommend the haul road over what I did though. Soon as you take quads out of the equation and people have to walk, the herd of people thins significantly. The 40mile hunt this year was a complete boondoggle, way too many people. Put meat in the freezer, but I won't repeat that hunt for sure. Hundreds of trucks at the trail heads.

If you walk in off the haul road, I wouldn't expect to be completely alone, but you won't be wading through herds of residents trying to fill their freezers. I love my fellow Alaskans, but dang can we pack a trailhead and shoot alot of rounds at questionable targets... Honestly I was planning to walk in off the haul road for just that reason, before my buddy drew a better tag and we decided to fly in for the hunt. They make pull behind sleds that roll up, I was 100% planning to take one to help drag a bou out.

Other than that, you have probably read it before, but just get good waterproof goods with good ankle support, good gaiters and trekking poles. Just plan to go slow and embrace the suck.
Very well said guy...and absolutely true.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG

Thank you again!

Weavergm

FNG
Everything these guys are telling you is true. Nick Muche also pointed out what I saw regarding people walking in with rifles and walking out empty handed. If you're up for the adventure, cross the Sag and head East. The country looks much more interesting on that side rather than heading west. Start glassing once you're North of Galbraith Lake. Bring your bow so if that big bull crosses right in front of you, you'll be prepared. Bring a camera. Your smartphone won't do the country justice.

As far as hiking on tundra goes, from what you've said you're in good enough shape to handle it. However, you can't replicate walking on sponges the size of basketballs with 80 lbs on your back. Smile at the pain and embrace the suck.

mooster

WKR
Not a chance that renting a UHaul costs more than a flight for two people...
Uhaul rental, if you can get one is inexpensive. The alternative, a haul road approved rental 4x4 extended cab pickup w/bed cover ends up being quite expensive.

My experience, hiking tundra at 50 minutes per mile, is equivalent to hiking in a swamp locally. Jumping from hump to hump, then wading through muck, is about as miserable as the tundra.