Alaska DIY Moose RECAP 2020

WMR

FNG
Looks like some priceless memories just got made. That country looks familiar. In fact, the inside of that plane looks familiar. I believe I was flown out in it just before you arrived. No bull for me. The only legal one I saw was on the day before the season started. Still had a great adventure. My first time in AK. I was also surprised how hard the walking could be in those hellish thickets. That storm that came in 9-6 was also the real deal in our locale. Lasted 2-3 days. Our tipi held up but I wasn't sure it would. Had a backup tent but will upgrade it next time. I rebooked for next year, also calling it "unfinished business". I didn't name the air taxi since you didn't either, but was very impressed with his operation and now consider them friends. Best wishes.

OP
Robinhood21
Looks like some priceless memories just got made. That country looks familiar. In fact, the inside of that plane looks familiar. I believe I was flown out in it just before you arrived. No bull for me. The only legal one I saw was on the day before the season started. Still had a great adventure. My first time in AK. I was also surprised how hard the walking could be in those hellish thickets. That storm that came in 9-6 was also the real deal in our locale. Lasted 2-3 days. Our tipi held up but I wasn't sure it would. Had a backup tent but will upgrade it next time. I rebooked for next year, also calling it "unfinished business". I didn't name the air taxi since you didn't either, but was very impressed with his operation and now consider them friends. Best wishes.

You are correct! He told me about you guys in the tipi. Yeah that storm was intense to say the least. It was our first time in AK as well. I think the world of that family. They are great people for sure and I agree, very impressed with his operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Robinhood21
awesome! Is that a hole in the paddle in the backpack picture?

Yes it is. Definitely not from a bullet though it had to be from another bull fighting. It also had a huge crack going to the top of his paddles from that hole

Last edited:
Great write up! Bet your dad loved being out there with his son and his bro. Some questions on your reticle technique - that bull you said was too close to 50 to call, from the head-on picture you have posted, I would say he is 45" tops. Was he moving around a lot to get an accurate MOA count in the scope? You also said your dads bull was 57" according to reticle, but ended up at 61". Is there something that needs to be fine tuned in the process? I'm always interested in how people judge antler size, this scope reticle thing is new info to me as of a year ago, have yet to try it.

OP
Robinhood21
Great write up! Bet your dad loved being out there with his son and his bro. Some questions on your reticle technique - that bull you said was too close to 50 to call, from the head-on picture you have posted, I would say he is 45" tops. Was he moving around a lot to get an accurate MOA count in the scope? You also said your dads bull was 57" according to reticle, but ended up at 61". Is there something that needs to be fine tuned in the process? I'm always interested in how people judge antler size, this scope reticle thing is new info to me as of a year ago, have yet to try it.

The smaller bull in the pic was moving around a lot but I feel I got a good read in him. After he stopped moving. I would say the best measurement I got on him was about 47”. The pic isn’t good and had some points that stuck out pretty good. For a small bull he sure did lay out really flat.

On dads bull I didn’t spend that much time measuring. When I hit 19 MOA I didn’t try to squeeze anymore out of it, I knew he was good to go.

I will say it sure is harder to stay still out in the field then laying prone in your back yard range. Would try to find a way to get more stable next time. Obviously if it’s close you let him walk

wolfpup

FNG
Awesome hunt and story! Enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. Congrats and good luck when you go again.

Laramie

WKR
Fantastic write up and story. I too dreamed of doing that hunt and never got it done. I'm now getting to the age I have to question whether I could pull it off. To those of you guys out there dreaming about it- start planning now!

Wow!!!!

Incredibly well done. I had a pilot booked for 2021, but had to cancel, and lost my partner.

I am now officially reinvigorated!!!! Need to find another hunting mate.