Alaska DIY Moose RECAP 2020

Whip

WKR
What an awesome trip! I'm also just back from an Alaska moose hunt. Mine ended meatless, but I know I'll be back to try to rectify that.
Congratulations!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Extremely well done sir...a thoughtfully planned and wonderfully adventurous life experience with family that you guys safely made a reality...priceless, life-long, and treasured memories for each of you together! Those exceptionally nice bulls were an added bonus. I'm truly happy for you!

OP
Robinhood21
Extremely well done sir...a thoughtfully planned and wonderfully adventurous life experience with family that you guys safely made a reality...priceless, life-long, and treasured memories for each of you together! Those exceptionally nice bulls were an added bonus. I'm truly happy for you!

Thank you sir! It truly was an amazing trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and bulls! A friend and I hunted with the same transporter in 2019. "MR" turned out to be a bit nicer in person than he was to us on the phone and he did put us on bulls he scouted the same day (not entirely sure that was legal?). That aside we had some issues and this year we chose another company to rebook with. Unit 17 was a beautiful area but the early season dates makes it difficult to kill more than one bull close to camp unless your on a big lake with a boat/motor. This year we hunted a different part of Alaska during the last 10 days of September (currently on our way home now) and each killed great bulls no further than 600 yards from our cabin. For us, hunting the peak rut was a huge advantage. Anyone looking for DIY moose should ask plenty of specific questions and avoid any transporter who cant give straight awnsers.

mcseal2

WKR
Congratulations, glad you guys had success. You did your homework and put a lot into it. Your write up and photos are awesome, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Humpys does have awesome food, we ate there on our way through Anchorage too. Then we hit the Humpys at the airport for the $6 BLT special they had. I will be eating there every trip through Anchorage when time allows.

You also aren't the only Kansan who is addicted to Alaska! We were researching a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak before leaving Alaska this trip. I will be back in 2022, and again every time I can pull it off after.

OP
Robinhood21
Congratulations, glad you guys had success. You did your homework and put a lot into it. Your write up and photos are awesome, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Humpys does have awesome food, we ate there on our way through Anchorage too. Then we hit the Humpys at the airport for the $6 BLT special they had. I will be eating there every trip through Anchorage when time allows.

You also aren't the only Kansan who is addicted to Alaska! We were researching a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak before leaving Alaska this trip. I will be back in 2022, and again every time I can pull it off after.

That’s awesome man! 2022 I plan on going back for moose again. I had the best time of my life this last trip but I have a hole to fill!
I’ve always wanted to hunt blacktail on Kodiak, especially after I watched Bob Fromme shoot one with his bow on an old realtree video. I’ll have to get some info from you after you guys do it. Congrats to you as well on your caribou hunt! Looking forward to your write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Awesome trip and awesome write up. Congrats!!!

I'd love to do it, but you really need the right set of hunting partners for that. I'm a little too much of a loner I suppose and finding guys committed to an Alaskan hunt is easier said than done.

Good luck on your future hunts.