Alaska DIY Pant/Rain Gear Suggestions

I’ll be making a trip to Alaska next August for a DIY deer hunt and from what I’ve been told from a friend is that the u see brush is pretty thick and nasty. Anyone have any suggestions or do/fonts as far as gear or specific rain pants they’d recommend? I’ve always just used cheaper lifter rain pants but have the feeling they’ll get shredded on that trip. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TKvamme183
What type of hunt (boat, drop camp, vehicle?) and how much hiking do you intend on doing?

I’m going with a friend who has a friend up there. But my understanding is last time they went they boated in and hiked from there. I was told to expect lots of thorny and thick underbrush and for it to be wet based on the time of year we’re going. Distance I’m not completely sure on but from what I’m gathering it sounds like it’ll be a days hike in probably.

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
I worked a few years in SE Alaska doing forestry so I've put many miles of hiking down. If weight is not of concern, and you truly want to stay dry, HH is the way to go on a budget. If you want to invest in hunting specific gear, Sitka stormfront rain gear is pretty darn durable in my experience but I'm not as harsh on it as when I'm wearing HH. Cheap frogtogs will be shredded within half a day. Krypteck rain gear lasted me a about a week or two. Hope that helps.

For the most part, deer hunting up here in Aug. is going to be a very wet endeavor. You might get lucky and have some nice weather, but I would just plan on nonstop rain for your entire trip, anything else will be a bonus. With that said, and if bush whacking is going to be part of it, think either Kuiu Chugach, or Yukon if you’re going to be dealing with a lot of major brush. Again, who knows with the weather we’ve had the last few years, you might not see a drop of rain, but if I were you, I would plan for the worst case scenario.

duchntr

WKR
If your hunting deer in august, in the Sound or SE that means the deer are in the alpine aka above the tree line, you are boating there so your going to be going on a decent hike to get to the game. So waders an HH are not a great option due to the level of physical output reqd. Although there are hundreds of ways to skin the cat my preference follows Troutbums logic, plan for rain every day even though weather will most likely be mild. Idealy get some good 3layer breathable raingear like Kuiu chugach etc , but if your on a budget use whatever you have an you will be fine.

ramses342

FNG
Here in SE it’s tough but I would say it depends on the season and the trip.

If I am Alpine hunting for the day even if it’s raining really hard I will wear my Sitka cloudburst pants and Jacket. They will help a little, are very breathable and have the pit zips which are nice. They will eventually get soaked but as long as I stay moving, which in August I am than I am fine for the day. If I am doing an alpine overnight and the weather looks Iffy I wear/ bring rubber Helly Hanson top and bottom and just really take my time so I don’t get soaked in sweat if it’s raining. Remember rubber does not breath so your ventilation is it being large. If it’s not pouring I will wear helly hason bibs and my Sitka Jacket which works great. A big mistake people make with rubber is getting it to tight and to small so it does not vent any heat.

During the rut I basically exclusively wear my helly Hanson bib and my Sitka jacket. I can vent heat, control my temperature, and sit wherever I want to call, swamp or moss it does not matter. I am kneeling and sitting a ton that time of year with minimal hiking so it’s perfect.

Every company says they make a line disigned for SE Alaska which is breathable: First Light Seak, Sitka Cloudburst, Kuiu Yukon. I have seen them all fail under enough rain.

Last edited: