Alaska draw units and transports/transportation

Couple questions about transportation out to some areas.

1. Let's say I draw a moose tag in one of the limited areas in Alaska. In general, is it easier to book a flight out to an area?

2. Being that it's a draw area, there is no way you can get on a waitlist a year out, so back to question 1, easy enough to get a ride out in such areas?

3. I know the general area I want to go. A few lakes look like you can land on them, and I know for a fact one is landable (past hunters). If I get in the air, will the transport know about others in the "General area"? Let's say I want to go to lake "A" and on the way in, there is a camp there. Will they reroute to lake "B" within reason, say several miles away?

I live in alaska and even living here it can be a challenge to find a flight to some areas. I got a few friends that fly, and our agreement is, if I draw certain hunts, they will take me and help in the hunt.

Cornelius is correct - the only guy that can answer your questions is the guy flying the plane and what his policies are. But, any Part-135 pilot worth his salt will know beforehand where hunting camps are or are likely to be, and will advise you as such.

OP
C
Back to the top. I don't need an outfitter or guide, only a "ride" Is there a difference in pricing? I would expect to pay more for a full load out, but I keep hearing there is a big difference between an outitted flight out to an area vs. paying a pilot to drop you off and pick you up in an area you want to go.

Last question, say you do good, how do you protect these areas?

As a pilot for nearly 30 years in Alaska the answer to your questions are these:
You first need to decide if you want to book with a "Transporter service" or an "Air-Taxi" Service. In your situation, Air-Taxi is your best shot because you know the lake or lakes you want to go to. Also, Air-Taxi services can only take you where YOU are chartering them to take you. You will need to pick at least a second backup lake just in case someone is already on your lake of choice.

The second option is a Transporter Service, ( least desirable ) when booking this type of service you will inquire with them about your lake of choice and then they will most likely know if anyone is on your lake prior to your arrival.

Keep in mind you are booking a Moose hunt with them and legally they can take you anywhere they want. This option can also be a good choice if you don't care where you go just as long it's in your draw area. I personally don't like Transporters services because they look out for their best options and not yours and are very hard to contact again once in the field.

In both considerations keep in mind that 95% of all pilots flying for service "are not hunters" and by law cannot consider your success on their flights, they can only consider the safe flight of operation to and from the field.

I would give all the flight services a month before contacting them, they just finished the fall hunts this year and mostly like taking some time off to regroup. After this time book as soon as possible and buy your commercial airline tickets after booking your bush flights.

Good Luck