Alaska drop hunt

HunterMN

FNG
Looking into a Caribou drop hunt next year. I see some posts on Arctic Air but can’t find any on Ram Aviation. Has anyone used Ram before? Or recommend any other outfitters in Kotzebue to use? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sconnie77

FNG
Looking into a Caribou drop hunt next year. I see some posts on Arctic Air but can’t find any on Ram Aviation. Has anyone used Ram before? Or recommend any other outfitters in Kotzebue to use? Thanks!
I'm looking at Ram as well. I did reach out and ask if they could provide references and got a reply that they don't give out references anymore, but to check out the FB and Instagram pages. I'm thinking I'm going to messages some of the people who posted pics to see if I can get some feedback.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
LOL They do not give out references any more? Our economy is too good right now. Used to be, references are what helped close many hunt deals.

MNGaryB

FNG
I'm looking at Ram as well. I did reach out and ask if they could provide references and got a reply that they don't give out references anymore, but to check out the FB and Instagram pages. I'm thinking I'm going to messages some of the people who posted pics to see if I can get some feedback.
I’ve heard nothing but great things from ram aviation. they were my second choice for our 2021 hunt. He posted up some impressive bou this past fall on his Facebook. A very respected billy molls also suggested them to me. Brian and his wife will answer any questions you have very promptly. Best regards in finding the right fit for the hunt you want!

It's almost to the point that the hunters must provide references attesting to their abilities in the bush.

It's definitely a seller's market for diy caribou and moose in Alaska.

"Now accepting applications. Limited openings. Best qualified candidates will be contacted for interview. Proof of income requ......"

Trial153

WKR
I glad that I grabed a spot for the august. Plan is to rebook as soon as i step off the plane and try to keep a steady slot or moose and caribou.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
It's definitely a seller's market for diy caribou and moose in Alaska.

"Now accepting applications. Limited openings. Best qualified candidates will be contacted for interview. Proof of income requ......"

Whose site is that on? Feel free to PM

Sconnie77

FNG
I’ve heard nothing but great things from ram aviation. they were my second choice for our 2021 hunt. He posted up some impressive bou this past fall on his Facebook. A very respected billy molls also suggested them to me. Brian and his wife will answer any questions you have very promptly. Best regards in finding the right fit for the hunt you want!
That's great to hear - appreciate your feedback.

OP
H

HunterMN

FNG
Thanks, glad to hear that! We booked with Ram for Sept. 2020. Can’t wait it should be a great time. Good luck on your hunt in 2021!

LOL They do not give out references any more? Our economy is too good right now. Used to be, references are what helped close many hunt deals.

I would not put much stock into references for a number of reasons. I have guys ask every year for references and my standard reply is as follows..." I would be happy to cherry pick my best clients for you to call" You all know no-one will give you anything less that the Best of the Best of the Best! I also tell my clients just get on most forums and ask the question." Has anyone worked with Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters"? Most often you will get a better look and who you're doing business with. If your doing your homework and your doing this at least a year out you will get a good outfitter or flight service most of the time! Remember that there are LOTS of shady outfitters and pilots out there.Do your homework or you may end up on a very expensive camping trip!

This is a true story so listen! I have a friend who is a Pro Staffer with Cabela's and one of the flight services pays him to be a reference and provide quotes for the web site....What do you think about that reference?

Walt

Last edited by a moderator:

Sconnie77

FNG
I would not put much stock into references for a number of reasons. I have guys ask every year for references and my standard reply is as follows..." I would be happy to cherry pick my best clients for you to call" You all know no-one will give you anything less that the Best of the Best of the Best! I also tell my clients just get on most forums and ask the question." Has anyone worked with Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters"? Most often you will get a better look and who you're doing business with. If your doing your homework and your doing this at least a year out you will get a good outfitter or flight service most of the time! Remember that there are LOTS of shady outfitters and pilots out there.Do your homework or you may end up on a very expensive camping trip!

This is a true story so listen! I have a friend who is a Pro Staffer with Cabela's and one of the flight services pays him to be a reference and provide quotes for the web site....What do you think about that reference?

Walt
907-259-4290
Thanks for the information, I appreciate the input. It makes sense that they aren't going to give you the names of anyone who had a terrible experience.

twtays

FNG
Ram Aviation followed through on every commitment and went beyond for my son and I on a DIY caribou drop camp that we just returned from. Make sure you let them know which type of area you would like to be dropped in and let them take it from there. A+ ating in our book

Uintah

FNG
3 buddies and I are booked with Ram for a hunt next year, September 2021...I did a ton of research and looking into different options and ultimately settled on Ram for several reasons:

1 - Local knowledge - Brian is born and raised in Alaska and knows his stuff
2 - Price - Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either
3 - Accommodations - Ram offers camp package rentals if you want
4 - Brian himself - I met Brian in person at the hunt expo in Salt Lake City he was so easy to talk to, answered all my questions and all of my follow up questions and all the followups to my followups! He was a very friendly, outstanding guy.
5 - Customer testimonials - Not like Walt (Northwestalaska) mentions above. But authentic experiences and opinions. At the hunt expo, there were several guys coming and going that were talking about Ram and the previous years results and how Brian delivered. There were also several guys wishing they had booked with Ram but hadn't and were disappointed so were looking to book for 2020 or 2021.
6 - I also like that Ram isn't flashy. Meaning, I respect a company that doesn't have to spend tons and tons of money marketing it's brains out. Business is earned quietly based on reputation, results and repeat customers rather than flashy marketing.

Last edited:

twtays

FNG
3 buddies and I are booked with Ram for a hunt next year, September 2021...I did a ton of research and looking into different options and ultimately settled on Ram for several reasons:

1 - Local knowledge - Brian is born and raised in Alaska and knows his stuff
2 - Price - Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either
3 - Accommodations - Ram offers camp package rentals if you want
4 - Brian himself - I met Brian in person at the hunt expo in Salt Lake City he was so easy to talk to, answered all my questions and all of my follow up questions and all the followups to my followups! He was a very friendly, outstanding guy.
5 - Customer testimonials - Not like Walt (Northwestalaska) mentions above. But authentic experiences and opinions. At the hunt expo, there were several guys coming and going that were talking about Ram and the previous years results and how Brian delivered. There were also several guys wishing they had booked with Ram but hadn't and were disappointed so were looking to book for 2020 or 2021.
6 - I also like that Ram isn't flashy. Meaning, I respect a company that doesn't have to spend tons and tons of money marketing it's brains out. Business is earned quietly based on reputation, results and repeat customers rather than flashy marketing.
Don't have enough posts to PM yet and don't know how but if you want please PM me with any questions I might help with. You asked me on another thread to post photos and full story about my and my sons' hunt this year but I am more private than that but would be glad to help on a personal basis if I can.