Alaska Dropped... 300 RUM Project

A quick and dirty backstory of how I got here first:
From Kansas, I grew up bowhunting whitetails since I was 11yo. I never really got into centerfire rifles until I started coyote hunting when I went to college. I bought a Savage .243 for predator hunting and would take the occasional late season doe with it. Then I built myself an AR15 and the passion started from there. I loved small calibers and still do. We never really big game hunted with rifles until Dad and I went on a pronghorn hunt about 5 years ago (and have gone 3 times now). We have an absolute blast and it was after that first trip I realized that I was no longer an archery purist and it didn't matter what weapon I was using as long as I was having fun.

wyoming1.jpg
antavatar.jpg

Dad and I's dream hunt has always been Alaskan Moose... ever since I can remember. It was always "someday" or "one of these days we'll go." Well years went by and I figured out real fast that if we didn't set a date it would never happen. 2 years ago I told Dad in 2020 we were going so start saving your loose change. He'll be 60 and I'll be 35. Now were 1.5 years away and sitting pretty good with equipment and saved funds.

Now I need a rifle... I have a several but nothing larger than a 6.5CM.

I definitely wanted to go stainless/synthetic combo. I went back and forth between 300WSM & 300Win for the longest time. Then the 300RUM crossed my mind. At first I chuckled and said to myself that I don't need a HAND-CANNON. But the more I thought about it and researched it, the more I found myself wanting it.

I'm constantly looking at forum Classifieds, Gunbroker, and Buds for deals and current pricing.
I came across a Gunbroker ad with an unfired barreled action Remington 700 AWR in 300RUM for $450. It's all 416 stainless and Cerakoted matte Black. Great deal considering these go for around $800ish and I didn't really care for the Renegade stock anyways. The guy selling it was going to put it in a chassis so he sold the Grayboe Renegade Stock it came with to put towards the chassis then decided to go another direction. I thought to myself, if I'm gonna to go big, I'm gonna go BIG (atleast to me). I went ahead and scooped it up. I'm having my gunsmith install an APA MiniBastard Brake, thread the bolt handle and flute the bolt body.

300RUMBA.jpg

The same day I ordered a Grayboe Terrain, Gray w/ black webbing from Optics Planet that had it on sale for $285 to my door. I'm not familiar with Grayboe stocks and I know they're not a Manners but I also didn't want to dump too much money into this rifle as it won't be my main squeeze. Although, the Terrain does have a very similar shape to my Manners EH2 that I like very much. It'll weigh about a pound more but I won't mind the extra weight on the 300RUM.

GBT.png

The next day I found a Vortex Viper HST for a great price in the Classifieds on Rokslide. Sent the money and received the box. The box it was supposedly in did not look right. Sure enough I opened the box and I received somebody's SOIL SAMPLES. WHAT THAAA!.... Something else did not look right on the box... somebody inside USPS cut the label (with cardboard still attached) and slapped it on this box and I was left with a pile of dirt as they ran off with my scope. I contacted the seller and he has been nothing short of great with it all. He filed a tampering claim with USPS but immediately refunded my money. So now I'm stuck looking for another good deal for an HST.

Bad thing is, that's not the only USPS hiccup I've had with ordering parts for this project. The seller for the barreled action still hasn't received my Money order because of weather delays and the stock is also delayed due to weather. Brighter skies ahead I'm hoping!

I received my dies a few days ago and picked up a box of 200grain Accubonds to start load development with. I was torn between Accubonds and the Barnes LRX. I really don't think I could go wrong with either but Ryan Avery talked me into the Accubonds and I like the extra BC as well. I'll still give the LRXs a whirl though. Both will get a dose of Retumbo first and if that doesn't show promise I'll try H1000.

I will continue to update this thread as the build goes along as well as load development and range time. Hopefully happy endings in Sept. 2020!

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
Let the fun begin. Sounds like you're off to a running start.
I'm pretty excited to be dropping a 90+ grains of power charge into cases. I've never seen my UNIFLOW powder measurer go through that much powder before HA!

Also, I'm pretty interested to see what this thing will do at 1000+ yards on steel.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I hope your rifle is a shooter.

I got my first 300 RUM about a year after mtmuley got his. It is a left hand Remington 700 LSS. It would put five 180 gr Nosler Partitions (Remington factory) into an inch at 100 yds. I found a load using large quantities of H870 that shot just as well but a little faster. After I ran out of H870, I started shooting 200 gr Accubonds at 3150 fps.

About 5 years ago, I found my rifle’s twin in a pawn shop. It is just as accurate as the first one and it likes 210 gr Bergers (bought a lifetime supply before I read up on 215s) and 200 gr LRXs.

Retumbo has been my go to powder since H870. I had some loads that shot well with H1000, but I could not get the velocities I was hoping for.

Good luck!

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
If you are impressed by how much powder is flowing through your uniflow, wait until you see how fast a pound of powder disappears. I don't buy powder in one pound increments for that caliber. I always look for at least two one pound jars of the same lot for the 300 RUM.

Sounds like a great moose gun...you can kill them with just about anything, sure is nice to see those hooves go up when the gun goes boom though. Really sucks when they take off running, they can run FAR with lead in them sometimes...:confused:

OP
Robinhood21
Sounds like a great moose gun...you can kill them with just about anything, sure is nice to see those hooves go up when the gun goes boom though. Really sucks when they take off running, they can run FAR with lead in them sometimes...:confused:

That’s what I’ve heard. Out of all the videos I’ve watched I’ve only seen 1 moose go down immediately at the shot and it was hit with a 338 Lapua Ackley Improved. I know that they’ll go down with about anything but I’ve never owned a magnum and after a little research the RUM looked fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
If you are impressed by how much powder is flowing through your uniflow, wait until you see how fast a pound of powder disappears. I don't buy powder in one pound increments for that caliber. I always look for at least two one pound jars of the same lot for the 300 RUM.

Good idea!

OP
Robinhood21
I received a couple items for the build today. The stock and Talley lightweights came in.

The Terrain stock was pretty much what I thought it was. Fit and finish looks great. The action and bottom metal inletting is done very nicely. A little heavy but I knew that going into it. It is very similar to the Manners EH2.

d84c6d3324a1b3d848d1b5ab3d34535a.jpg

Comparison of the Terrain below the EH2

5a284411076d75591572fb03e1d7a8c9.jpg

I’m really hoping the barreled action shows up soon so my GS can started and I can start shooting!

I have not had much chance to shoot any RUM's (a friend's 338 RUM some) but it's a great round from the looks of it -
I have "thoughts" after reading comments here … Seems like you are building pretty much a version of a "long range rig" (which is great and none of my business) After having done 2 DIY's for AK moose and 2 guided B.C. hunts (guide required), score 2 / 4, I'm thinking that moose are not a long range proposition normally (if at all) IF your AK moose hunt will be a DIY'er then I believe you'll want to be very cautious of making darn sure your bull is 50" wide or 4 brow tines - Having glassed several at ranges around 400 yards, a few with 3 obvious tines and "a nub", I would think that would want to be your absolute maximum range, or close to it ? Like I said, this is YOUR and YOUR DAD'S hunt, NOT mine, it is your choice AND YOUR ANTICIPATION, but my first choice would be a 338 Win Mag (336/06 & .35 Whelen good too) shooting no lighter than 225's with 250's being the first choice (anything bigger would be better IMO) - I understand the rep that "moose aren't that hard to kill" AND the 300 RUM must pack on HECK of a whallop but you'll also be in bear country AND/OR often brushy thick terrain, often you'll find the moose you might want standing in water feeding that is neck deep for a human, when he lumbers to the bank for a moment or 3 and you want him DRT it's sometimes a bit different than the average say … elk hunt - pardon my interruption, I'm not meaning to highjack or offer unwanted advice

OP
Robinhood21
I have not had much chance to shoot any RUM's (a friend's 338 RUM some) but it's a great round from the looks of it -
I have "thoughts" after reading comments here … Seems like you are building pretty much a version of a "long range rig" (which is great and none of my business) After having done 2 DIY's for AK moose and 2 guided B.C. hunts (guide required), score 2 / 4, I'm thinking that moose are not a long range proposition normally (if at all) IF your AK moose hunt will be a DIY'er then I believe you'll want to be very cautious of making darn sure your bull is 50" wide or 4 brow tines - Having glassed several at ranges around 400 yards, a few with 3 obvious tines and "a nub", I would think that would want to be your absolute maximum range, or close to it ? Like I said, this is YOUR and YOUR DAD'S hunt, NOT mine, it is your choice AND YOUR ANTICIPATION, but my first choice would be a 338 Win Mag (336/06 & .35 Whelen good too) shooting no lighter than 225's with 250's being the first choice (anything bigger would be better IMO) - I understand the rep that "moose aren't that hard to kill" AND the 300 RUM must pack on HECK of a whallop but you'll also be in bear country AND/OR often brushy thick terrain, often you'll find the moose you might want standing in water feeding that is neck deep for a human, when he lumbers to the bank for a moment or 3 and you want him DRT it's sometimes a bit different than the average say … elk hunt - pardon my interruption, I'm not meaning to highjack or offer unwanted advice

No offense taken at all. In a perfect world, my hope is that I'm 100yds or less but if I have to take a longer shot, then I know I can with confidence. I have a moose antler silhouette painted white that I made with Plywood. They are 55" in width. I am going to set them up from 100yds to about 600 yds in 50 yard increments. I will record the amount of hashmarks it takes on the reticle for each distance and will have that attached to the stock of my rifle. Just another way to double check the width while in the field.

OP
Robinhood21
Barreled action is at the gunsmiths right now getting the minibastard brake installed. Also, I just got a notification from LRI that my bolt was recevied for their fluting work.

Brain fart on my end... I just realized the other day that I needed bottom metal. I found a guy selling a LA BDL hinged floor plate in SS for $50. I snatched it up and it should be here tomorrow. I also need to get mag internals and action screws.

Turkey season will consume me for the next month but I'm hoping to start working up loads after I tag out. I'm getting excited to see what this rifle can do on paper.

OP
Robinhood21
Things are coming along on the project.

I contemplated for a while what brass to use for this rifle.
I ultimately decided on ADG. Heard pretty good reports on them and the price was good.

I just received the brass today and it looks great. Not only does it look great but it's VERY consistent from the few pieces I measured. I grabbed 4 random pieces from the bag and every piece measured out at 2.838"... I'll take that any day.

.338 Lapua on the left, 300 RUM in the middle & 300WM on the right. 300 RUM looks GOOD

Also, I received an email from my Gunsmith and the rifle is ready. I'll be picking it up tonight! Rifle pics to come...

Last edited:
Jewell, Timney, Trigger Tech , all good triggers but none will compare to the original Pre- 64 Winchester trigger for a "SIMPLE, get out in the weather, get down in the dirt and mud, rough and tumble, DEPENDABLE trigger" no matter how much a person wants to spend