Alaska - Fed Subsistence Board meets June 16 WSA 21-01

FYI:
Federal Subsistence Board to hold teleconference on Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01 (Units 23 and 26A caribou and moose)

The Federal Subsistence Board (Board) will hold a teleconference on Wednesday, June 16, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to take action on Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01.

The public is invited to listen in; however, public comments will not be taken. To join the teleconference, dial toll-free (800) 857-9670, passcode is 6992079.

Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01, submitted by the Northwest Arctic Subsistence Regional Advisory Council, requests that Federal public lands in Units 23 and 26A be closed to the harvest of caribou and moose by non-Federally qualified users from August 1 through September 30, 2021.

A public hearing, Tribal and Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) consultations, and a five-day written public comment period were held for this temporary wildlife special action request in April 2021. Additional Tribal and ANCSA consultations will be held in late May 2021. Over 1,300 received comments will be incorporated into an analysis presented by Office of Subsistence Management staff to the Board for their consideration prior to taking action on WSA21-01. The analysis will be available approximately two weeks before the teleconference, at https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/board.

The Board is committed to providing access to this meeting for all participants. Please direct requests for accommodation needs to the Office of Subsistence Management at (800) 478-1456 or (907) 786-3888 or by e-mail at [email protected].

I see subsistence hunters and fishers all the time in Alaska. They tool out in their super duty diesel, $10,000 4 wheelers, or fancy aluminum boats and kill much more than what they need. As an example I saw several coolers of salmon at the dock and they were only keeping the bellies for smoking. The rest went into the water. Don't get me wrong I think poor and remote Alaskan's have the right to hunt and fish for what they need without question but it should be a true need.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Update on this deferred judgment about WSA21-01 in case anyone is following these threads. Public testimony is scheduled for Nov 17, 2021.

WSA21-01_public_hearing_NR1.jpg

OP
AlaskaMark
Nothing has changed and the feds didn't really answer questions put to them by one of the FSB members at the last meeting. Won't hurt to call in and reiterate opposition based on the WACH population data showing the herd is well above the objectives the WACH Working Group themselves agreed upon when any restrictions should take place, and subsistence needs are being met.