Alaska Float Plane Flight Time Cost/Info

Slugz

WKR
Whats the going rate per hour for a 182 on floats this year?

Expected increase to next year?

Lasty, whats a normal weight capacity for a 1.5 hour flight?

Thanks

I don't know of any flight services that use 182's on floats (not to say that there aren't any out there, I just don't know of any). Price/hr. will vary depending on what part of the state you're flying in, and it's anybody's guess as to what the prices will be next year. Also, most services nowadays charge based on where they are going to fly you into, not by the hour, and that charge seems to always be in their favor. Regarding wt. capacity, that a lot of the times is based on the outfit that you're flying with. For instance, there is a max. payload rating for a 182 on floats, but a particular outfit might say "We will fly you from our base to Lake A and back for a set rate, and you are only allowed to bring a backpack that can't weigh over 50 lbs." The best thing to do is just call the particular outfit that you're looking to fly with and ask them those questions.

In about three weeks when we will be using a floatplane to transport us from Lake Hood to the fishing lodge we will go to, it is costing us $300 (per passenger) this year for the round trip, about 65 miles each way.

The float plane company allows us to take about 50-60 lbs. per person going up and will allow that weight plus about 40-50 lbs. of fish on the way back.

The plane may be hauling supplies to the lodge on the way up and passengers, etc. on their return flight.

ClearCreek

It's been years, but I remember something like $300/hr for an Beaver, $600/hr for an Otter. Weight capacity will be based on the aircraft, not flight time (maybe unless you have something really big in mind). Best to just call them up though.

That is actually super cheap by today’s standards. The last time I flew in the Brooks Range, in a beaver on floats, they were charging $666 an hour. That was almost 20 years ago (2004).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year we flew out of Fairbanks in a 185 on floats. Max payload, passengers and gear we were allowed was 700 lbs. Cost for us per round trip flight (drop off, meat, pickup) was $1200 per trip.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
That is actually super cheap by today’s standards. The last time I flew in the Brooks Range, in a beaver on floats, they were charging $666 an hour. That was almost 20 years ago (2004).

May have been the Fed rate, I was working for the gov't at the time. (Or I could be misremembering). At any rate, OP just call 'em up, I bet gas prices aren't helping at the moment.

z987k

WKR
It's been years, but I remember something like $300/hr for an Beaver, $600/hr for an Otter. Weight capacity will be based on the aircraft, not flight time (maybe unless you have something really big in mind). Best to just call them up though.
That's pretty close to just the fuel cost per hour in a beaver right now.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
How about this one then.

Piper Pacer modified to a Bushmaster STC.
Flying out of Fairbanks 1.5 hours north
2 men
Gear, camp and rafts
Animals brought out included /moose

What should be a reasonable price?

Im asking these questions as I feel the current price Im being told is on the high end if not very high. I do understand the current inflation and fuel costs.

Just wanna make sure its all on the up and up.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
300-330 for super cup
450-550 for 206
Prices are lower outside of hunting season

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Oh and keep in mind 1.5 hour flight is a 3 hour charge

How about this one then.

Piper Pacer modified to a Bushmaster STC.
Flying out of Fairbanks 1.5 hours north
2 men
Gear, camp and rafts
Animals brought out included /moose

What should be a reasonable price?

Im asking these questions as I feel the current price Im being told is on the high end if not very high. I do understand the current inflation and fuel costs.

Just wanna make sure its all on the up and up.

So, take this for what it’s worth (an uneducated guess), 1.5 hrs. X4, = 6 hrs @ maybe/roughly $500/hr. is $3,000. I’m not familiar with the Bushmaster STC, so I don’t know how much wt. it and carry. So, I’d guess they’re quoting you $6k, give or take?

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
So, take this for what it’s worth (an uneducated guess), 1.5 hrs. X4, = 6 hrs @ maybe/roughly $500/hr. is $3,000. I’m not familiar with the Bushmaster STC, so I don’t know how much wt. it and carry. So, I’d guess they’re quoting you $6k, give or take?

Yes sir. You are in the ball park. 300lbs payload after pilot and fuel.