Alaska Grizzly Bear Hunt 2019

Beauty bear! Always been curious about the grip n grins with a shed paddle under the bears head, is that just a popular trend with guides? So many lying around that every bear you shoot up there lands on one? Or just more easy to find than logs up that way? Either way, congrats on a successful hunt and a tasty trophy meal!

OP
6mm Remington
I hunted with Ovis Outfitters out of Wasilla Alaska. A husband and wife team that are just fantastic people. Originally came from Montana so you know they can't be half bad. The outfitter told me that for 5 weeks straight it had been clouds and rain, sometimes snow for all of that time. It continued on my hunt. The first day after being dropped at spike camp with my guide out in the middle of nowhere on the North side of the Brooks Range, we set the tent up as quickly as we could and got all of our gear stashed inside and got warmed up and dry. The rain continued and visibility was very poor.

The next day same thing. We couldn't see 50 yards at times. Had to hunker down in the tent for the whole day. So goes the first day of hunting. The next day it was still raining, but not hard, and we could see half a mile at times or more so I just had to get out. My guide was also excited to go.
We went up on a ridge above spike camp to an area where the outfitter had suggested would be a good spot to glass from. We sat there glassing for a long time without seeing anything.

Not wanting to spread our scent around, but wanting to at least glass the back side of the ridge, we worked our way up over the top so we could see into the next drainage which was a huge canyon. We worked our way slowly down the ridge on the other side glassing as we went. We got down the ridge maybe half a mile from camp when we found a fantastic spot to glass from. We had not been there for very long when all of a sudden about 300 yards away a grizzly bear just materialized out of the fog. He was feeding along on roots on the other side of the creek. We had the wind in our advantage, we were above the bear, and he had no idea we were there.

We closed the distance to 158 yards and I got set up with my rifle laying on top of a pack. Had to wait what seemed like hours, but was roughly 5 minutes before the bear fed in a position where he was perfectly broadside. I held tight against his shoulder and shot. He spun around, did two somersaults, and that was it. Never moved again. My bear was absolutely gorgeous. I could not be happier with him.

I had a great time on my trip. It was for me the hunt of a lifetime. I almost got a wolf a few days later, but that's another story. Days later back at base camp I got to fish for Arctic char and graying. It was fantastic and the cook at the base camp was amazing. I highly recommend these folks if someone wants to hunt of fish in Alaska.

David

Last edited:
OP
6mm Remington
I did a review/evaluation on Ovis Outfitters in another section if anyone out there wants to check it out. A husband and wife make up the head of this team. They are wonderful people and I know I had the trip of a lifetime.

Reactions: Guy