Alaska Grizzly Bear Hunt 2019

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
David - congratulations again on a terrific hunt! And I'm so doggone glad that you shared those great photos. :)

It's one heck of a hunt, way up there.

Guy

OP
6mm Remington
David - congratulations again on a terrific hunt! And I'm so doggone glad that you shared those great photos. :)

It's one heck of a hunt, way up there.

Guy
Thanks again Guy. I sure am glad that I bit the bullet and booked the hunt. I cannot imagine missing out on it now that I've done it. Memories to treasure for a lifetime.

Reactions: Guy
OP
6mm Remington
I just have to tell this part of the adventure too since I made it pretty brief. Before my father passed away in 2012 he told me that he wanted me to do something just for me. Dad said I always do for my wife, kids, and never for me. He wanted me to do something special, something like a guided hunt even. He made me promise to do something.

Fast forward a few years and I actually started talking about going on a grizzly bear hunt, and a friend of mine down here was interested in doing a trip with me. He wanted a grizzly bear and a Fannin ram from the Yukon, or maybe a ram in Alaska. It didn't look like that would pan out for us at least not this year. I had contacted this friend because he's been fortunate to hunt many different locations to include Alaska already and I was hoping he might help me find a guide. So this year didn't look like it was going to happen and we would see if we could make 2020 work.

Then this other tag was issued by the F&G at the last minute, and the outfitter dropped the price of the hunt by $2500.00 hoping they could get someone to get the tag and book a hunt. Then Emily Thoft called me and told me about this extra tag. She helped me fax off my application and an hour later she called and told me I had the tag and was going grizzly bear hunting in August! I was so excited, afraid, nervous about spending this money, wishing my father could hear this, and lots of other things. I started crying on the phone talking to Emily, well a little bit, maybe just had dirt in my eye or something. Anyway I got my composure back after a couple minutes. That's how special this was to me.

Okay fast forward a few months and I get this beautiful bear and I am happy that I made a nice quick clean kill on this wonderful animal. After he dropped my guide told me to just watch him a few minutes to make sure he's done. I was still watching 5 minutes later, and once again I had a couple eyes with leaks in them all over again. I was pretty emotional but I was not so emotional that I saw an opportunity that begged to be taken and could not let it go by. My Guide Mike Lettis had by now relaxed and was sure my bear was done. He was giving me a few minutes I suspect and was looking around and not paying any attention. I got this idea in my head and I shouted out all of a sudden as he's looking the other way, "Mike he's up he's running!" Mike spun around so fast thinking my bear was getting away. I started laughing, it was the funniest thing. He said, "You got me on that one!"

I just had to add that part as it's all part of the memory. Man what an adventure!

Last edited:
OP
6mm Remington
UPDATE: I never got to see my bear and his coloring out in the field as he was drenched like a drowned rat. So was I. He's back from the tanner and is at the taxidermist now. I couldn't believe how many different colors he has and how pretty he is. When he's all finished and his hair is brushed out he's going to be just beautiful!

David

Tanned grizzly.jpg