Alaska Here I Come!

Well I just got off the phone with Will from Wrangell Outfitters and I am going sheep hunting in 2023!! I talked to him last week over zoom for about an hour and had a great conversation. I have spent months looking at and researching sheep hunts. Will seems like a great outfitter who offers a hell of an adventure. More than anything else I am looking forward to just being in sheep country. Taking a sheep home would be icing on the cake.

Being this is my first sheep hunt, really my first guided hunt at all, is there any do's or don'ts you guys have for me? I think I have my gear situation pretty squared away already except for rain gear. I have a Kuiu Chugach rain jacket but have never needed pants on any hunts. I may end up getting a new rain jacket if you all had a better recommendation. I also will probably switch out scopes, I have a V4 4-16 on a Tikka 6.5 PRC right now but may go to the SHV 3-10 for a little piece of mind as far as reliability.

I have been hiking the river trails by my house since I got back from the sheep show and plan to continue to do that and also get back to going to the gym regularly. If I hike the one section of trail up and back 4 times thats 1000' of elevation gain and roughly 4 miles. Should I try to find something with more elevation gain or does that seem reasonable? Thanks for any help in advance!! I cant wait till 23! Good luck to all the lucky guys who are booked this year!!

As a guide/outfitter myself, I can recommend that you precisely follow the pre-hunt instructions given to you by your guide, and be certain to follow the gear list and weight limit requirements he provides.

And, I would follow his recommendation on rifle, caliber, optics, sighting and bullets.

Lastly, I recommend that you also closely adhere to his pre-hunt mental/physical training program.

OP
ReddingArcher
You've made a great choice with Will. The scenery is worth the trip.
It sounds like you are well on your way with gear and training.
I am looking forward to seeing the country just as much as the actual hunt itself! 23 cant get here soon enough.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overthink it. A Tikka 6.5PRC with a Zeiss V4 is a great setup. The Kuiu raingear is good stuff, just get a pair of pants to go with it. Quality boots are a must. I like my Kenetreks but everyones feet are different.
Good luck on your adventure!

OP
ReddingArcher
Don't overthink it. A Tikka 6.5PRC with a Zeiss V4 is a great setup. The Kuiu raingear is good stuff, just get a pair of pants to go with it. Quality boots are a must. I like my Kenetreks but everyones feet are different.
Good luck on your adventure!
I may stick with the Zeiss, we'll see. I do like the scope so far but havent dialed it a ton, so far dialing to 550 and back it has been fine. I have been using Lowa Tibets the last 3-4 years and like the boots but I was going to try some Hanwag boots also. What are everyones recommendations for a camera? I was looking at the Canon G9xii.

. What are everyones recommendations for a camera? I was looking at the Canon G9xii.
Great decision on booking with Will. Please do a report here when you get back and share your pics.

My Nikon Coolpix 300 takes perfect pictures no matter if its near or far. Always very high resolution, blows my Samsung Galaxy and my wife's I-Phone out of the water. 1 battery lasted me through a 12 day hunt with plenty of energy to spare

Sounds like you're on the right track and I'll echo what's already been said, don't overthink it too much, and regarding rain pants, the Chugach or Yukon's will work just fine. My biggest recommendation for folks that don't have the option of hiking around in the mountains is to either spend at least 5 hours/week on a stair stepper, or hike the steps at your local high school football stadium. Whichever you choose, do it with a weighted pack, and IMO, it's best to do it with the pack that you'll be using on the hunt, and work up to the similar weight that you'll be carrying on the hunt. If you do have some hills to hike around it, I would also recommend doing it with the boots that you'll be wearing on your hunt. My general thinking is that, if I'm using much of the same gear for my exercise program, when it comes show time, I'll already be accustomed to everything (boots, pack, trekking poles, etc.), and it will just feel second nature when I'm there actually doing it. Plus, your boots will already be broke in, or your feet will already be broke in to the boots, your pack will feel normal on your back with wt. in it, and everything will just seem to flow better.

OP
ReddingArcher
I will definitely do a write up on the hunt, both as I train leading up to it and after the hunt. I have been backpack hunting for quite a few years but feel like this will most likely be a whole different ball game. I have been hiking the hills rotating off and on with my Kifaru loaded with kitty litter and going with no pack but pushing my son up the hill in his stroller. Thanks for the camera recommendation I will check that camera out. I have been kicking around taking my spotter that way I can digiscope, being its a horse back hunt and weight may not be as big of a concern, would you guys bring the spotter for taking pictures and judging sheep?

..... I have been backpack hunting for quite a few years but feel like this will most likely be a whole different ball game ...... being its a horse back hunt ....

Yeah, horseback hunting for Dall Sheep is far different than backpack hunting for Dall Sheep. There's a world of difference between the two. I've done it both ways. Horsebacking has its perks and its downsides, but so does backpacking. Enjoy .....

[QUOTE="ReddingArcher, post: 2526540, member: 7427"Ihave been kicking around taking my spotter that way I can digiscope, being its a horse back hunt and weight may not be as big of a concern, would you guys bring the spotter for taking pictures and judging sheep?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about sheep hunting since I have only been on one fall hunt but I elected to take my kowa TSN 554 spotter and a light weight tripod and was very glad I did. I didn’t want to determine legality of a ram but more for just watching the sheep, digitscoping and using the tripod for pics and my binos. A lot of people recommended not taking one and to use the guides but it was really nice laying there side by side viewing and talking about the different rams.

Congrats on the hunt and wish you the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk