Alaska hunt logistics

I’m heading up to Alaska for a DIY moose hunt with a local up there. I’ll be flying Delta.
My question is regarding the transportation of gear. I see lots of people ship their stuff up there in totes. I’d originally thought I’d check my loaded Kifaru pack, but that seems problematic due to security.
How are people getting your gear up there?

USMC-40

WKR
Disclaimer - Ive only hunted AK once, for sheep. I put my pack in a large duffel as a checked bag, also checked my rifle case. If it were me, Id want my stuff with me. Direct flight? If not, ensure you have a couple hours at any layover, as I have had better luck having my luggage arrive with me with a longer layover.

22lr

WKR
I just put my pack in a duffle and send it. Never had any problem. Have a small day bag for a change of clothes/your Lithium batteries and just go. Never had any problems flying with anything, just read through the list of stuff you can and cannot check really good.

cnelk

WKR
Im headed to AK this fall also.
Last time I went in 2016 I shipped some small items of gear to my buddy but that isnt an option this time.

Last week I researched estimated shipped charges to AK and this is what I found out

1 box - 24"x24"X32" - that weighs 25lbs

UPS - $610
USPS - $210

I about fell over. So I researched Alaska Airlines for extra baggage.

51lbs -100lbs was $100

So, load that duffle up as heavy as you can to get your $100 worth

Good Luck

AK Yeti

FNG
I live here in AK but this is how we do it when flying to Kodiak or anywhere else. Get an action pack and split your gear up. Put your scopes, binos, Ammo, anything you don’t want to get dinged around in the action pack. Cloths and the rest go in your bag.

I’m heading up to Alaska for a DIY moose hunt with a local up there. I’ll be flying Delta.
My question is regarding the transportation of gear. I see lots of people ship their stuff up there in totes. I’d originally thought I’d check my loaded Kifaru pack, but that seems problematic due to security.
How are people getting your gear up there?

What exactly are you wanting to bring up? I would recommend taking as much gear as you can on the flight, and shipping, via “slow boat to China” the rest. Allow yourself plenty of time for shipping and you’ll save yourself a lot of $$ doing it that way. If you are hiring a transporter, ship it to them, otherwise you’re more than welcome to ship it to me, assuming you’re flying into Anchorage, and I’ll hold it and get it to you when you get here.
c602c2e219fff9d8c2c54f6bd45b7aad.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bring everything I can as luggage or carry-on on the commercial flight up to Alaska. look at the cost of shipping versus buying things up there.

I throw my pack along with clothes and anything else that will fit under the 50 pound mark into a rolling duffel bag.
I put optics and guns and ammo into a rifle case. if traveling with a buddy, we put both rifles, and anything else we can cram into the shared rifle case and keep it under 50 pounds.

I pack my carry-on, with fragile or lithium ion batteries ETC

If I need to buy some mountain house or things like that, I get them at Fred Meyer’s in either Anchorage or Fairbanks

rayporter

WKR
for float trips i made a wood box about 18x18x22 for food cooking gear.

we put 2 guns in one case and we each had a large rolling duffle.

eventually i made an aluminum box to replace the wood box, but there was little wt. savings.

one thing to watch is stuff the TSA will confiscate. i argued with them about a fuel tank for an MSR stove that was still in the shrink wrap about fuel vapors.
i have had matches and fuel tabs confiscated and did not know till we got there.

print the regs and have them in hand, and check you gear when you arrive, assume nothing.

get yourself an alaskan card. free bag for you and friends...plus the companion fare every year.
Plus they arent bad on baggage if you are bringing back meat and fish.

flying gear is more reliable than USPS right now...sad

1-bow/rifle in hardcase with clothing/heavy stuff to get you to 49.5.
2-backpack in a rolling duffel put broken down wax boxes on the bottom. (if you have extra weight under 50lbs bring up some food from down here they have a hard time getting or expensive up there...for transporter or friends)
3-glass...other must haves...license permit and one change of clothing in carry on...

couple tricks:
-half your ammo in rifle case half in duffel...same with arrows...use an arrow tube in the duffel! haha
-TSA locks on rifle/bow case...put 2 extra TSA locks inside case...they cut them every once in a while...idiots
-wear your hunting boots
-make sure your carryon has no knives, empty brass, magazines for rifle

Southeast

FNG
I shipped two 50lbs boxes of gear to Fairbanks last year for about $140 each (USPS Priority Mail). It took them about a week to arrive.

Idk what your air carry says but atleast with alaska airlines your not supposed to use TSA locks. You are the only one who should be able to get into your gun case. When you check your gun in with alaska airlines they have you unlock in front of them they swipe some stuff down make sure it's good to go and then you lock it back up. Never had them cut locks before and haven't heard of that from any of my buddies either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
The size of my rifle case puts it in the oversized category, so I just load it up with all the heavy gear to get to 99 lbs, one big 50 lb rolling duffle type bag and a carry on and that takes care of everything.