Alaska Hunt Planning

Howdy guys:

I know some on the forum but not all so Let me do a quick introduction. I will try not to make this about my business but keep it steered toward the topic..

As some of you know I own Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitting and we operate on the south side of the Brooks Range for mostly caribou but some moose and Griz for residents. Every year for the past 18 years I get bombed hard this time of year with guys looking to book hunts for the following fall and most just don't understand how many moving parts there to booking a hunt up here. If you looking at a caribou hunt it is critical you are doing your research 10-14 months out and if your wanting a moose hunt 18 months is more realistic. The biggest part of my job is to educate the hunters on a given region and how to best hunt that species. The thing that I insist on is that the entire group is involved in the process. You don't want to hire a hunt planner of flight service without knowing everything and this takes time. If you run into a flight service who does not make you do some work i.e... research you might be booking a pricy camping trip and never attempt to throw something together at the last min.....To many things could and will go side ways on you and your going to be less than happy with the results. For my groups we start with basic info and ideas, followed up with a group call so everyone in the groups can ask questions and then we start the booking process.

Float Hunt vs Drop Hunt:

This is big guys... A float hunts cost more and has more moving parts but you will see more game and have a better chance of bagging bigger bulls. If your doing a moose hunt the float hunt is almost always a better way to do it. Caribou not so much.

How many miles should you be floating over the course of a 10-12 day hunt... 40 miles max is a good rule of thumb. The raft is a tool to move from an area that is not being productive into an area that will be. You normally don't hunt from the raft and most of my groups only move camp 3 times with the last move getting to your pick up spot. Last year a member here on Rock Slide almost got talked into doing a 180 mile float hunt!!! He contacted me and asked about gear and when he told me the put in and take out spot I refused to rent him gear. All he would have done would have been floating and not hunting!! The flight service was dumping this guy in an area that does not produce caribou and he was about to be taken. Lots of pirates out there guys!! Ask questions and research your outfitter and flight service.

You should have your flight service booked by December because the good ones book up fast. If a flight service still has spots open after January you should be asking the obvious question...WHY?

My primary job is to educate you and to make sure you get set up with a safe and reputable flight service... Not all flight services are created the same. One of my pilots stopped taking any new clients because he is in high demand and can do this. He earmarks spots for me and for his return hunters and this reflects the market.

Cost: Flights are getting more and more expensive every year so you should expect to drop atlas $3,100 per hunter on a caribou hunt and closer to $4,200 per person on a moose hunt. This is the most important part of your hunt and the biggest ticket item as well. Shop early and shop wisely!

Walt
Gakona Alaska

Attachments

• 1412723043.png
    1412723043.png
    908.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 694843.jpg
    694843.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Great post and information. Having planned and coordinated a diy caribou hunt in 2018, North Slope....completely concur. It's alot of planning, calling, references, local Intel, etc. Book out as far in advance as you can, it helped us spread some cost out which helped our more price sensitive group members.

I'll keep you in mind Walt, as we are eyeballing 2021 or 22 for the South side of the Brooks. Happy to say we are heading to Kodiak in October for that experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Northwestalaska
Great post and information. Having planned and coordinated a diy caribou hunt in 2018, North Slope....completely concur. It's alot of planning, calling, references, local Intel, etc. Book out as far in advance as you can, it helped us spread some cost out which helped our more price sensitive group members.

I'll keep you in mind Walt, as we are eyeballing 2021 or 22 for the South side of the Brooks. Happy to say we are heading to Kodiak in October for that experience.

Sounds Good

My son is an Assistant Guide for Sheep ( Tok Management area), Moose and spring bear out on the peninsula so if you ever want a really pricy hunt I will send you that direction! We do Kings and Dollies too!

Attachments

• 8637197.jpg
    8637197.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 8078822.jpeg
    8078822.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 51
  • thumbnail-1.jpeg
    thumbnail-1.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 55

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds Good

My son is an Assistant Guide for Sheep ( Tok Management area), Moose and spring bear out on the peninsula so if you ever want a really pricy hunt I will send you that direction! We do Kings and Dollies too!
Sounds great, I think Dall hunt is just a dream for now lol.

Good info. This site is a great resource for hunt planning. Lots of experience and info and I think you are right about putting the work in BEFORE the hunt. If you hire the wrong guide, are in a bad area or there at the wrong time hunting hard may not get it done.

Excellent advice! Even for unguided DIY drop off hunts, most of the best transporters in interior AK I know are booked already for 2020 season, so advanced planning and good timing with the phone call and reservation for 2021 when the transporter starts accepting reservations for 2021.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I have never met Walt in person but have talked to him several times by phone. He is a wealth of information and does not mind talking at length with you and answering all my questions. I have been researching my upcoming caribou hunt for 2 years and have booked my equipment rental with him for this September. His experience and knowledge about the backcountry do's and don'ts made it an easy decision.