Alaska Hunting & Fishing COVID Impacts

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Saw the bear hunting EO from ADFG today. I can see the villages asking for this. I can also see it being driven by the sealing requirement; ADFG not wanting hunters to travel to fish and game offices during the outbreak. Just guesses on my part. I had been kicking around the idea of trying to bear hunt this spring, but I guess that’s off the table for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is still in effect this summer I won't be going to AK to fish. I can't see myself sitting in a hotel room for 14 days in quarantine.

Starting Wednesday (March 25) all people arriving in Alaska will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days, according to a new mandate from Alaska Governor Mike Dunleavy.

If your fishing employer has a "covid plan" in place with Alaska Dept of Commerce, then you can work right away, as commercial fishing (boats and processors) are considered critical infrastructure. Still they suggest you being quarantined (im guessing) to a boat or bunkhouse when not performing work or critical duties (food, health,etc.)

"Self-Quarantine: All workers arriving in the State must follow the 14-day self-quarantine guidance. If your business meets the definitions of critical infrastructure workers, you may put them to worker immediate, provided that you have an approved Community/Workforce Protective Plan and that you enact the protective measures in your plan to safeguard the surrounding community and the remainder of your workforce from the newly arrived workers. The intent is that, to the greatest extent possible, workers will self-quarantine at their final destination in Alaska in order to reduce the risk of infection during onward travel. In cases where this is not possible for some reason, you would need to identify the reason and what the company’s alternate plan is for self-quarantine. "

Rmauch20

WKR
**** I hope this is all over by August....
I wouldn’t bet on it. I just starting to think this whole year is going to be a loss. First was going to be shut down for 30 days now you see a lot of cities counties throwing around June, with it firing back up in the fall.

If your fishing employer has a "covid plan" in place with Alaska Dept of Commerce, then you can work right away, as commercial fishing (boats and processors) are considered critical infrastructure. Still they suggest you being quarantined (im guessing) to a boat or bunkhouse when not performing work or critical duties (food, health,etc.)

"Self-Quarantine: All workers arriving in the State must follow the 14-day self-quarantine guidance. If your business meets the definitions of critical infrastructure workers, you may put them to worker immediate, provided that you have an approved Community/Workforce Protective Plan and that you enact the protective measures in your plan to safeguard the surrounding community and the remainder of your workforce from the newly arrived workers. The intent is that, to the greatest extent possible, workers will self-quarantine at their final destination in Alaska in order to reduce the risk of infection during onward travel. In cases where this is not possible for some reason, you would need to identify the reason and what the company’s alternate plan is for self-quarantine. "
I’m surprised it took Com fish this long to get this consideration in place.

fatbacks

WKR
I think they could’ve gone about this better. Local hunting with no air travel and hunting with household members should be allowed.

The governors mandate for shelter in place specifically says hunting and fishing are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sucks for us non-Res hunters but really sucks for all the guides in AK. Great decision tho in my opinion. There is no need to stop resident hunting in AK. After all, there is more land per hunter in AK than any other state.

Glad they rescinded the ban on residents hunting bear, but it shouldn't have been too hard to do this in the first place.

It would be nice if they kept non residents out for the entire 2020/21 hunting season.

I have a feeling we're about to see a lot of states do this exact thing... especially the non-resident hot spots(Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado to name a few). Cant say I blame them - I wouldn't want a bunch of plague rats running through my small towns either

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a feeling we're about to see a lot of states do this exact thing... especially the non-resident hot spots(Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado to name a few). Cant say I blame them - I wouldn't want a bunch of plague rats running through my small towns either

yup, it’s just not worth the risk. Unfortunately, it looks like commercial fishing might be a free for all with dirty infected fuckers from all over the place getting a free pass to swarm the state. Maybe not though.

One of the large fish companies called, wants to use the lodge so they can quarantine some of those “folks” for two weeks. No thanks.
been in and out of Alaska since 1959, gotta love AK politics. It’ll be interesting what happens.

Let's say Covid-19:

Shuts down most travel and tourism to Alaska this year:
Shuts down NR fishing and hunting opportunities this year:
Interferes with demand for mining and natural resource products:
Results in unemployment even higher than the lower 48:
Continues to drastically suppress travel industries thereby putting downward pressure on oil prices:

One has to wonder what all this does for the average Alaska resident. I hope things recover sooner rather than later so my friends up north don't suffer needless economic hardship. What will future PFD checks look like?

gbflyer

WKR
The State is working at a fever pitch to get their hands on as much federal disaster money as possible. It’ll make dear old uncle Ted’s pork projects look like child’s - play.

The bigger problem now is the commuter air services and airlines folding up the tents. Bad news for the villages not near a road or open water. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Air Guard flying supplies soon.

The fish processors may not be a huge problem. There is no market for the product. Most of the SE long liners are hanging the halibut gear up. 3.00/lb or something. I understand there is frozen salmon everywhere.

VernAK

WKR
Let's say Covid-19:

Shuts down most travel and tourism to Alaska this year:
Shuts down NR fishing and hunting opportunities this year:
Interferes with demand for mining and natural resource products:
Results in unemployment even higher than the lower 48:
Continues to drastically suppress travel industries thereby putting downward pressure on oil prices:

One has to wonder what all this does for the average Alaska resident. I hope things recover sooner rather than later so my friends up north don't suffer needless economic hardship. What will future PFD checks look like?

It's getting interesting for sure! I don't see a bright future for the PFD as the Juneau bunch is very similar to DC as we have Pelosi/Schumer types and a whole host of RINOs. They will spend all of the PF and come back for taxes. There is no end to their desire to spend. Our previous Gov doubled the budget in one term and the horror stories of cost associated with Medicaid are astounding. Live remote and need to see a Dr; charter a bush plane paid for by Medicaid and fly to ANC/FAI. As long as we're here, let's load up at Home Depot or WalMart. How many bags of cement can I put in a Beaver? Maybe we need some hard times. Sometimes I feel fortunate to be old as things are going down hill.

The Gov wanted to pay all the PFD monies previously withheld [$5K IIRC] but our Juneau bunch beat that down to $1K. I wouldn't mind them keeping my $5K if it was put to good use and prevent future taxation schemes but that will never happen.

If the full $5k was distributed, it would boost our economy for a month or two but unfortunately many would squander it in tattoo parlors and marijuana shops instead of paying for a nice fly-in hunt. :)

AK always has a higher unemployment rate than the lesser 48 so I think there’s no doubt that will remain. Our big 3 industries are oil, tourism, and fishing; so we may see double the unemployment rate as L48. The saving grace now is that we are strategically a military necessity and continue to grow our bases. That may ramp up if we really flex on China the way we should!

We will have taxes in place by next session or no pfd - maybe both. There really isn’t any other way (knowing the other way is shrinking government which will never happen.). Vern is right on track with Medicaid - maybe a little too kind even. And we need to treat that issue with baby hands or face the sensitivity mob.

Hopefully layoffs for industry like oil field, fishing, and construction start with non residents. I don’t see anything on the lines of tourism before August at this point - that might be August 2021 for all we know.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Comm fish. They shut down all village travel but still plan on lettings thousands of outsiders flood the villages to fill boats and canneries this month. Unreal. And will the state be willing to sacrifice our natural resources and bump up quotas to fill the void in the economy? Will they cut off East Side Cook Inlet fishing so residents have plenty of opportunity to fill freezers? Seafood is a luxury items for most outside of AK, will there even be a market for it? A lot of unknowns right now - it’s gonna be a rollercoaster!

Sorry, that was a shotgun of thoughts! On the bright side, this may be the year I finally get in on a 40 mile hunt if they keep AK closed to nonresidents through the fall (assuming they operate.)