Alaska moose hunt / Lake landing...

So, we are booked for a 2021 self guided moose hunt for 2nd half of season. Will likely be landing on a lake somewhere just south of central stretch of Brooks Range. When we first decided to do a base camp and not bite off more than we can chew with a float trip, I had envisioned landing on a ridge with a wheeled plane, and having an instant vantage point.

Have any of you landed on a lake and then set up camp for moose? Of course how you hunt the area will depend on the lay of the land, but what's the typical scenario? I guess to a large extent, the same set up would apply to landing on a river as well. In the back of my mind it's something like this:

1. Unload plane at lake edge.
2. Determine predominant wind.
3. Determine where animals might want to be / where they can be seen / where or likely travel corridor based on topography
4. Determine vantage point within reasonable distance from unpacking plane
5. Hike to vantage point and set up camp

Guess that's about it, huh? I'm just fearful of being dropped somewhere that is going to be without an accessible vantage point to glass from. There will be no boat to paddle lake, or move meat with. Anyway, just trying to think it all through. Obviously, this is all theory and we'll need to figure out the best way to hunt the particular set up we're dealt, but is my line of thinking about right from a very general perspective? Do folks try to hunt the actual lake edge? I can't image getting to an elevated vantage point AND hunting / glassing lake edge from there. I imagine that's going to be 1,000 yards away, and of course around the lake edge is where I suspect vegetation will be it's most dense. If you were to glass a moose, how in the world would you get within range and be able to see him?

Almost makes me want to reconsider the float option. The ability to start over sure has it's appeal.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
We did a lake-based hunt out of Renfro's last fall. We each tagged out on bulls. I would highly recommend a lake based hunt. I have never done a float hunt, but it was such an enjoyable and comfortable trip (minus packing moose quarters). Check out Outdoors International Podcasts called:

Preparing for an Unguided Moose Hunt with Cory Glauner
DIY Moose Hunt Report with Kyle Hanson

Kyle helped me get prepared and his advice was excellent. PM me and I'd definitely help with some info.

Moose need cover and water too, they generally don't just hang out on the ridgetops all day...find a well- used game trail/ browse area and stake it out...

OP
P
We did a lake-based hunt out of Renfro's last fall. We each tagged out on bulls. I would highly recommend a lake based hunt. I have never done a float hunt, but it was such an enjoyable and comfortable trip (minus packing moose quarters). Check out Outdoors International Podcasts called:

Preparing for an Unguided Moose Hunt with Cory Glauner
DIY Moose Hunt Report with Kyle Hanson

Kyle helped me get prepared and his advice was excellent. PM me and I'd definitely help with some info.

Will do. Thanks!

OP
P
Moose need cover and water too, they generally don't just hang out on the ridgetops all day...find a well- used game trail/ browse area and stake it out...

Yeah, of course. But in general, is the standard practice to set up camp and base of operations somewhere with some elevation to it? Doesn't seem like setting up camp at water's edge would make much sense. There would be nothing to glass, and we'd be stomping to/from a vantage point each and every day. Seems like getting elevated and more or less staying put for the first few days would be the best option.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Our "glassing knob" was a hummock maybe 3 feet tall and 20 yards behind the tent. We put the tent about 75 yards from the water's edge. We had a couple moose come within 100 yards of camp and could've cared less we were there

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Would a little pack raft be worth while to bring? I would envision working around the lake glassing from various high spots, a raft might be nice to transport meat back to camp. Maybe I have just watched to many episodes of Life Below Zero but the guy that lives on a lake in the Brooks range seems to always shoot one around his lake.

Yeah, of course. But in general, is the standard practice to set up camp and base of operations somewhere with some elevation to it? Doesn't seem like setting up camp at water's edge would make much sense. There would be nothing to glass, and we'd be stomping to/from a vantage point each and every day. Seems like getting elevated and more or less staying put for the first few days would be the best option.

Moose are pretty hard to strategize because they can be literally anywhere at any given time....that's why staying put and calling/raking is so popular. Busting brush from the low ground to the high, in order to spot and stalk moose on the low ground, could be a successful strategy, but sounds exhausting and frustrating, IMO...moose hard by water at first light is a fairly common scenario....

OP
P
Moose are pretty hard to strategize because they can be literally anywhere at any given time....that's why staying put and calling/raking is so popular. Busting brush from the low ground to the high, in order to spot and stalk moose on the low ground, could be a successful strategy, but sounds exhausting and frustrating, IMO...moose hard by water at first light is a fairly common scenario....

Understand completely. I guess I'm just kinda curious what the baseline plan would be. We won't have any first hand prior knowledge of lay of land... that being said, it would seem like having SOMETHING in mind would be appropriate... even knowing that the plan of attack and set up will almost certainly change.

AKDoc

WKR
I'm enjoying your enthusiasm and anticipation! You guys will figure it out when you get there.

We have hunted from a lake drop for the past six years. We always set-up camp on the closest dry and reasonably level ground from the drop-off, which always has been essentially within 50-100 yards of the lake. Having a water source nearby is a good thing. I am convinced that moose are not bothered by the sight of your tent...I even think they are attractants when calling.

Wind direction usually changes over the course of a week or two...often it's many times.

I personally think the biggest error people make is to right away go walking all over (stinking-up) their hunting area, trying to see from this point or that point or over that little hill. Moose will hear your call from far away if conditions are right. Give them a chance to come to you for a few days before you head out scouting.

Daniel_M

WKR
Moose move around. Personally, I like to dig into an area with some elevation close by. Hills typically acts as a funnel, thus moving game into the area I plan to be in.

I don’t go for high elevation, moose are heavy and that means brutal packing.

This fall I picked a spot off the GPS just looking at terrain, old oxbows and connected wetlands. In most places, predators work the water ways and moose keep to the woods.

Dig in, be quiet and let the calling do the work rather than spot n stalk. Only noise I don’t control in camp is chopping wood.

e3cbe0a34d553ad873d62570c1730788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
Moose move around. Personally, I like to dig into an area with some elevation close by. Hills typically acts as a funnel, thus moving game into the area I plan to be in.

I don’t go for high elevation, moose are heavy and that means brutal packing.

This fall I picked a spot off the GPS just looking at terrain, old oxbows and connected wetlands. In most places, predators work the water ways and moose keep to the woods.

Dig in, be quiet and let the calling do the work rather than spot n stalk. Only noise I don’t control in camp is chopping wood.

e3cbe0a34d553ad873d62570c1730788.jpg

This was kinda what I was thinking... of course depending on how things are actually laid out when we get there. I was thinking hoof it up hill somewhere relatively close and set camp there. That way with virtually zero moving around, you could hunt whenever weather and daylight allowed... virtually without having to move at all. That set up within 1,000 yards of water edge would be fantastic if it allowed us to view edges of thickets along water features could be readily glassed. If a potential moose is observed, try calling him in. If no luck, and wind direction is okay, you could always take off on foot downhill and towards lake towards / around him to make an approach. Camping right at waters edge with zero visiblity and zero elevation just doesn't seem like it would be the best way to go... especially if we end up with a loaded meat pole and bears are likely to work edge of water. ;-)

Daniel_M

WKR
Almost all moose hunts of mine have been along the river, this year the meat pole was 30 feet from the tent. Unless your high elevation hunting or shooting long range purposely, I don't see a real gain in humping gear up high. The bull I shot this year, I called to ~25yards after calling from the same stand over the course of 2 days. Even had another (bull i believe) come in to camp after dark, within 100ft of the tent.

dmd45

FNG
River hunting you are going to put your camp on the on bank, why hump all your gear to the top of a hill. Same goes for lake hunting, why move all your gear to the top. Personally would camp next the lake, call from camp, call where ever you are hiking. You don't have to call from a particular area, call as you are moving, how many videos on YT do you see the bull grunting as he is walking towards you. If you know the lake that you are hunting, there are a couple online free tools that really help, Google Earth or google maps, use the 3d feature to get a feel for the terrain, the other tool is caltopo, caltopo has many different useful features, like fire data, when was the last fire in your area, whose land are you hunting on, caltopo is priceless. There are a few moose hunting videos on YouTube that feature the hunters on lake based hunting, priceless, can get a good feel for what you are going to experience. The other thing, a packraft would be good a good tool too, but use it a few times before taking it on the lake.

cnelk

WKR
In 2016, I flew into a lake for a AK moose hunt.
Set up camp on the lake edge, walked 200yds uphill and called for 3 days straight.
By that time we were covered up in moose
Killed my bull on day 5

1- Dont go tromping around
2- Call the moose to you
3- Give it time

Daniel_M

WKR
Personally would camp next the lake, call from camp, call where ever you are hiking. You don't have to call from a particular area, call as you are moving, how many videos on YT do you see the bull grunting as he is walking towards you.

This. Bulls can and do come in quietly, they're just as curious as to what they're coming in to (more dominant bull?). I shot the bull above from 30 yards, but like a ninja he appeared out of the wood line. Had absolutely no clue he was even there until I scanned the area. A bull can pinpoint your location from a very far distance, I've had many come right to the same spot I stood.

Here's a pretty decent article about hunting the rut.

http://www.tokairservice.com/articles/the-science-behind-the-moose-rut-hunting-tips

Last edited:
OP
P
Interesting article on breeding cycle and behavior. 100% confirms what I've always said / seen about other the deer I'm more familiar with. I've seen weather put a damper on things (slow down activity, encourage nighttime activity, etc), but year in and year out... they do the same thing (rubbing, marking, chasing, etc) at some point in a 24 hour period regardless of moon, or temps.

I hear you all loud and clear about camping on / near lake edge. This technique, when I first read it, adn to this day... , https://alaskaremote.com/my-3-day-strategy-for-moose-hunting-success really rings true with me. It just seems like it might be a bit tough to implement from a lake hunt if the terrain is super flat, or if there are no elevated positions within a reasonable distance.

Daniel_M

WKR
Interesting article on breeding cycle and behavior. 100% confirms what I've always said / seen about other the deer I'm more familiar with. I've seen weather put a damper on things (slow down activity, encourage nighttime activity, etc), but year in and year out... they do the same thing (rubbing, marking, chasing, etc) at some point in a 24 hour period regardless of moon, or temps.

I hear you all loud and clear about camping on / near lake edge. This technique, when I first read it, adn to this day... , https://alaskaremote.com/my-3-day-strategy-for-moose-hunting-success really rings true with me. It just seems like it might be a bit tough to implement from a lake hunt if the terrain is super flat, or if there are no elevated positions within a reasonable distance.

The terrain in his concession involves higher elevation of Unit 16 which is less dense spruce, he also uses Argo's. However that could be different as of today. You can draw similarities but some tactics are inherently different based on where YOU are going. Principals remain the same, call and they come in.

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
2015? River float, dense along the river adjacent to higher elevation. Tactics didn’t change. Camp/call from the river. This bull came down the mountain overnight and right into camp from close to a mile.
e4351421ec2a9002fee9f8c534b3dea6.jpg

OP
P
2015? River float, dense along the river adjacent to higher elevation. Tactics didn’t change. Camp/call from the river. This bull came down the mountain overnight and right into camp from close to a mile.
e4351421ec2a9002fee9f8c534b3dea6.jpg

Holy cow, errr... Bull.

Guess I'm just worried about lake not being adjacent to higher elevation, and super dense. I know flat and dense holds moose, but it would be nice to do some glassing and take in some country and maybe watch one come in Day 2, 3 4 or whatever it takes.

Guess I'm just worried about lake not being adjacent to higher elevation, and super dense. I know flat and dense holds moose, but it would be nice to do some glassing and take in some country and maybe watch one come in Day 2, 3 4 or whatever it takes.