Alaska Moose Hunt Optics Question

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at my first descent quality spotting scope. I used to hunt an area of Alaska that was "any bull" for moose and either sex for caribou. So I just used a Vortex 10x monocular. Now I live in a different area of Alaska. I'll be counting brow tines on moose and (most years) trying to tell if the caribou are male or female. So being able to see animals more clearly is suddenly more important. I have some nice binoculars but need a scope. $500 is about the limit.

I just bought a Cabelas Krotos 15x45 scope. I'm keeping it clean so it could return it. For $500 I think it's a good value. At 1.5 miles I can see people fishing and make out details like a jacket tied around their waste. At 2.5 miles I can see people and tell you their shirt color but not much else.

I'm tempted to return the Krotos and get a sub $500 50mm scope to save weight. The Kowa TSN 501 and Hawke 50mm look very interesting.

If we're counting brow tines how much better is the bigger scope? I can carry it if it will be a big improvement. There are areas where I could spot a moose 5 miles away. I probably wouldn't chase one that far but it would be helpful if I knew a moose was legal before I chased it around.

For this year Alpha glass is just not in the budget. I want "good enough " to fill the freezer while I save up.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In a compact scope, in your budget, take a look at the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED Spotting Scope
  • Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
  • ED Glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Dual Focus: Dual focus has dual speed focus knobs that offer both faster and finer focus adjustment
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Does your area have a 50" restriction as well? My buddy's been using a Swaro spotter for years now and at long distances counting brow tines is still difficult but it does it's job when it comes to 50" or bigger bulls. We've let a ton of bulls walk over the years that were not 50" and were also several miles away, which saved us a bunch of unnecessary walking. That said, if I could afford a Swaro i'd have one in a heartbeat but it's out of my budget so I picked up a Nightforce TS80 from CamerLand, you will not find better folks to do business with than Joel and Doug.

For just under $500 I would buy an Alpen 786 (straight) or 788 (angled) 20-60-80 spotter. I have a 786 that I bought in 2009 and have had no problems with it. I compared it with a Vortex Viper spotter and I thought the Alpen was much better. It's a long scope but fairly light for a 80mm spotter. Alpen went out of business a few years ago but I have had no problems with my spotter after many years of field use. So I have never had to worry about the warranty. I still keep it as my beater spotting scope for places I don't want to risk damaging or losing my Meostar S2.

The Alpen 788 was a big favorite a few years ago with the birding crowd and was considered better than anything else its price class.