alaska Moose hunt

Getting ready to send in deposit for 4 hunter floating into the Cook Inlet by Redoubt Bay in 2023.

I'm floating because of health issue hamper hiking on bogs. My companions will do all those hunts.

Jake Doth is the outfitter Adventure Outdoor Alaska out of keni... does anyone know him, used him?

Thanks for the help,

Hutch

Attachments

• 16.pdf
    259.6 KB · Views: 33

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard of him but in all fairness he probably hasn't heard of me either! There WILL be brown furry things to contend with. Good luck and the moose population is pretty good over there. At least it still was a couple years ago, I haven't followed the trend lately.

z987k

WKR
If I was going to spend a pile of money on a Moose hunt, I don't think I'd go with 16b, not because there aren't Moose, but because it's so close to town. Lots of hunters out there.

Also, if you're going to hunt that close to 9A, why not just hunt 9A?

Catchfish

WKR
I don’t know the business but know the area and a lot of locals hunt that area. Residents can draw any bull tags for the area so it’s kind of a fill your freezer area. There are some nice moose over there though. Flights with Alaska West air are great, they spend a lot of time flying fishermen over there.
I know a lot of pilots that hunt over there and the predator numbers seem to be increasing a lot again. A few problem bears on the rivers and wolf numbers are up. I saw a video of a dozen running a creek.
The area is close so don’t expect a wilderness experience. You will have planes flying over you all day. You will still be visiting Alaska and should have solid fishing available as well so it can’t be that bad.
I live in Kenai but locally don’t ever need to utilize these types of business’s sorry.

z987k

WKR
I don’t know the business but know the area and a lot of locals hunt that area. Residents can draw any bull tags for the area so it’s kind of a fill your freezer area. There are some nice moose over there though. Flights with Alaska West air are great, they spend a lot of time flying fishermen over there.
I know a lot of pilots that hunt over there and the predator numbers seem to be increasing a lot again. A few problem bears on the rivers and wolf numbers are up. I saw a video of a dozen running a creek.
The area is close so don’t expect a wilderness experience. You will have planes flying over you all day. You will still be visiting Alaska and should have solid fishing available as well so it can’t be that bad.
I live in Kenai but locally don’t ever need to utilize these types of business’s sorry.
Ya I fly that area a lot. As a local I wouldn't hunt it unless I drew the any bull just because of how much pressure it gets. Way too close to Anchorage.

Good luck, I hope you guys get into the moose!!

I would think I would do the exact opposite if I were moose hunting with health issues. From what I hear, float hunts are A LOT of physical work. A bunch of people shoot their moose from camp on drop hunts. Just a thought...

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I'll agree with what others have said. Last time I hunted it my girlfriend had an any bull tag and it was three years ago so take it for what its worth.

Its a great meat hunt with an any bull tag

Lots air traffic so definitely not a wilderness experience by AK standards but probably pretty wild for some folks

Moose float equals lots of work. I haven't packed a moose over a couple hundred yards for several years and don't float for moose. Don't get me wrong float hunts are enjoyable but easy they are not.

That's some flat brushy country. If they aren't coming to the call that would make it very tough

Alaska West is the air taxi to fly with for 16B . They know it well, they also know 17 and 19 really well. Of course price goes up when you start heading to the far side of 17.As a matter of fact I looked at Jakes website and it appears he uses them to fly out his clients. Might remove the middle man unless he's offering more than a flight and a raft. Which AK West has plenty of both...Not saying anything good or bad about Jake(don't know him) just make sure you are getting something from him thats valuable and that you can't get straight from the air taxi.

I'm not sure on the price but if it's anywhere close to some of the moose drop camp prices out in unit 18 I'd sure go to 18 and enjoy the any bull tag for non residents.

Good luck, I hope you guys get into the moose!!

I would think I would do the exact opposite if I were moose hunting with health issues. From what I hear, float hunts are A LOT of physical work. A bunch of people shoot their moose from camp on drop hunts. Just a thought...
A LOT of work is correct. I wouldn’t recommend a float to anyone unless you know what you’re getting into and understand the work that is involved. They are a ton more work than a drop camp but, if just planning on hunting from the raft it wouldn’t be that bad (besides climbing in and out of the raft, loading and unloading raft, and putting up and taking down camp). If hunting from the raft, you’re really lowering your odds.

of 35 days I’ve spent float hunting for moose, I’ve seen ONE moose on the river. We’ve had great success but it’s from getting off the river and hunting nearby lakes. The area you’re talking about floating is flat as a board, thick brush, and basically one big bog just giving a heads up.

This year while at our transporters office there was a group of elderly men in their mid 70’s doing a drop camp. I can assure you they were in no shape to be hiking any where other than from the tent to the latrine. This was their 25th or some odd consecutive trip. Just something to think about.

Wow. Some pretty good summaries on that v region. I never found a description quite as black and white vas what’s above. However, “one big bog and flat as a board” was the sense I got. Was close to booking Alaska West, but opted out. Glad I did.

It should be noted, however, that Doug Brewer at Alaska West was extremely helpful, polite and patient with my questions. In that industry there’s a lot to be said for that! Plus you can drive there from Anchorage… plus 3 brow restriction opens up some harvest options… plus a pretty good reputation… plus his hunters kill quite a few bulls. I wouldn’t rule out a drop camp with him. One thing I did rule out when I started planning next years trip three years ago was a float hunt. I’ll do it one day (hopefully) but as a first timer it just presented too many variables for me.

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
We hunted 16b a few years back on a drop hunt with Alaska West. Had a good hunt and thumbs up on AW. Got one - called him into camp. He died 20 yds from the tent. Rained a lot.

2167258ff84b9cb8d43f1e38c117a178.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk