Alaska Moose Trip

To the OP's topic of good outer layer in September:

It does depend on whether you're hunting in low (wet) river country or maybe higher in the hills where (cold) snow can happen. My favorite outer layer is chosen for some degree of flexibility, warmth, quietness and water repellency. I like the soft-shell stuff from any number of companies. I would strongly advise you to not make an arbitrary decision without getting your hands on (and trying on) the stuff you might buy. Especially if it's expensive.

Little applicable story....

Way back when Sitka Gear was a new thing, I bought their 90% Jacket & Pant to use on a moose hunt. I tried it on first and knew how it fit and felt. Seemed pretty good. The reality was different. It was great. I wore it every single day for 10 straight. No stink. Dirt and mud wouldn't stick. My partner experienced the same thing. We both came out of the bush looking like we hadn't left the tent. Those soft-shell fabrics aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they do work like crazy for me.

Here's a pic from '09. My partner killed this nice bull with his longbow. Both of us are wearing various iterations of Sitka stuff. The day was chilly and wet. We butchered and packed that bull out without making a mess of our clothes.
coyote 021.JPG

And here I am a couple years later still loving that old 90% uniform in Mothwing camo pattern. Killed this bull with a 6 yard shot while on my knee.
Alaska 2011 107.JPG