Alaska moose width thread?

WMR

FNG
I'll guess this one is 58 inches. I'm basing that on the size of the smile on the hunter's face. Nice moose, congrats!

You need The AntlaLyzer. It ranges distance while showing a corrected-for-distance scale superimposed in the the image. The scale lets you get accurate width readings.

It hasn't been invented yet.

Poor man's AntlaLyzer. Works great in the field. Just bring a lap top, a few back up batteries, a camera and SD card, make sure your laptop has the latest and greatest version of Microsoft Paint, and then knock yourself out! I strongly recommend also toting along a mouse and a flat surface on which to operate it.

I guess this bull has a narrow eye-to-eye distance. I gave it a pretty conservative assessment (long red line) and antlers still extend past the sum of the five total. That being said, I take the word of everyone's experience here 1591276261467.png

1591276261467.png

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've already admitted that I'm a brow-tine counter, as opposed to a width estimator when I pull the trigger. That said...

A friend of mine with a lot of field judging experience told me that the first thing he looks at is the distance of the beam on each side, i.e., the distance between the head and the beginning of the brow-tine cluster. He said that if the beam on each side is equal to or greater than the distance between the eyes, then the probability of the spread being +50" usually goes way up because you have 30"+/- right there...then you only need 10" from each palm. The second thing he looks at is the orientation of the palmation, i.e., does the palm lay flat/outward from the head or orient more forward (all things equal, laying flat is of course more width).

Moose racks are like finger prints...they sure vary between bulls!

RedRidge

WKR
Definitely use the brow tine method or for certain over 60." I made a bad call on one. Not fun I can promise you that. Here is another bull that was killed by another friend in camp. Guess away on this one. Obviously with both brows legal it made it easy, but some more practice for you OP. Tough angle I know.
2ziqrFH.jpg

bGox5fZ.jpg

WMR

FNG
Angle makes it a little hard for this rookie, but I'll guess 58 again. the Antlers seem to go kind of upward rather than laying out flat. I've seen this bull before in my dreams, so I should know by now. I've also seen photos of some very wide ones which did not have 4 brow tines. Those are still pretty scary for me. Thanks again for all of you taking the time to teach this.

Definitely use the brow tine method or for certain over 60." I made a bad call on one. Not fun I can promise you that. Here is another bull that was killed by another friend in camp. Guess away on this one. Obviously with both brows legal it made it easy, but some more practice for you OP. Tough angle I know.
2ziqrFH.jpg

bGox5fZ.jpg

I'm going with 55+

56-57. At least I sure hope so, because even without the brows, my gut reaction on this one was to take the safety of and find me a good rest!

1591295659747.png

OP
Gunnersdad49
I came up with 56 on the RR moose as well. Those little kickers at the top may push it to 58 though.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
This devoted brow-tine counter says 64"

Really nice bull sir!