Alaska Moose

Canyon300

FNG
300WSM loaded with 175GR Barnes acceptable for Moose and Bear? Does anyone on here hunt with 300WSM? Or is more rifle needed? Thanks.

jhm2023

WKR
That's plenty of gun for moose and bear especially with a Barnes bullet. My first moose dropped at the shot when he charged me at 11 yards using a 300 win mag and a 180 gr. Barnes TSX. The bullet hit him in a thick portion of his antler and still continued on through his neck, spine and shoulder. I found it under the skin a bit behind the shoulder and it had shed all 4 petals. 300 WSM is close enough to the win mag.

OP
Canyon300

Canyon300

FNG
That's plenty of gun for moose and bear especially with a Barnes bullet. My first moose dropped at the shot when he charged me at 11 yards using a 300 win mag and a 180 gr. Barnes TSX. The bullet hit him in a thick portion of his antler and still continued on through his neck, spine and shoulder. I found it under the skin a bit behind the shoulder and it had shed all 4 petals. 300 WSM is close enough to the win mag.
Thanks a lot for the info! Really appreciate it, and great story! My wife picked me up a hells canyon 300 short mag for Valentine’s Day, just put a Leupold LRP on it for glass, planning on taking it to Alaska for moose and brown bear next fall.

mcseal2

WKR
300 win mag with the 180gr Nosler E tip worked on my buddy and my moose last year. Pretty similar to what you are running.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive never had a problem knocking them down with a 30-06....even a 270 had worked just fine for me.

To boost your confidence in your 300, I hammered my bull with 30-06 180grain tsx and it blew through his femur, pump house, and out through the outside shoulder at 200 yards. He kicked all four legs up like he had been struck by lightning. I think...I know you will be fine with that round. It's the old adage--shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You shot him in the ass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
God damn peanut gallery;)
e242241d7067ef79511a5bc030225a6b.jpg

Did that break its leg/shoulder??? I hit one there last year and the broken leg made it a pain in the ass to flip it over in the swamp.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yep, it broke the humerus in half and punched through the lower part of the other shoulder with out damaging too much meat at all. I was a little surprised by the passthrough and it made me wonder if the tsx penciled. Got lucky and hit one of the ventricles on the way through which made his expiration almost immediate. Fortunately he died laying on his good leg so when I was done with the broken side I used his legs from underneath to roll him over...was still a pain in the ass though. my back was stiff for a month

e44ed9d1e786794c3687a2322c529c20.jpg

Yeah, shooting them is the easy part, cutting them up in a swamp and packing them out is the tough part.