Alaska OTC non-resident Caribou tag?

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
My son is stationed at Fort Wainwright (Iraq now). He was successful last year caribou hunting. Is there a way that I could hunt caribou with him in 2020? I know that I am late to the game.

AKBorn

WKR
For sure, but not all of the OTC tags are accessible by the road (and FYI, Alaska has lees roads than Rhode Island). Do some research on the AK Hunting Regs, as some of the units close to where your son is stationed may provide some opportunities.

miloak

FNG
There are still a lot of caribou hunts open to non-residents OTC, however many of them will require an airplane ride.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you!
Time to hit the research hard. The Alaska regulations seem really confusing.

We’ve been there to visit him. Just not for hunting. I’m lucky, my wife loves it there. She wants to spend half the year there when we retire. (Long way off, LOL.)

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
40 mile I believe.
I think he went up the Steese and snowmachined in. In the White Mountains. The snowmachine got stuck about 3 miles back. It was a long pack out.

VernAK

WKR
Yes, that's the 40 Mile Herd and probably your best and easiest option. It is a Registration Hunt meaning that there is a harvest allocation for different zones and can be closed by emergency order on short notice.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
He mentioned to quota. Gotta plan on being there the first day.

VernAK

WKR
Correct!

If the herd is near the Steese Highway or the Taylor Highway, the hunt will usually last only a few days. Not a wilderness experience.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly only care about spending time with my son. Doing something we both enjoy.
Not too worried about it feeling like wilderness