Alaska Peninsula Brownie

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Still mid-trip trying to help buddy fill his tag, but I hit gold first day of our hunt. Doing a DIY hunt out on the AK Peninsula. Found this old brute on a moose kill, and after giving him some time since the wind was all wrong, returning in the evening, from there everything couldn’t have gone better. As soon as we climbed a glassing point, was able to see he was still there, actually laying on the buried kill. Wind still wasn’t right, so set up to video him for a bit through my spotter and no sooner did I get set up and the wind changed to the exact direction. We needed and never changed. Over the next 35min covered the 1.6 miles to get to 73 yards. He was still laying down, but with the raised pile, he presented a near perfect shot, as I slid my rifle from safety, he lifted his head and looked to my right, giving me the exact shot I wanted. Squeezed round off, loudest whack I can recall hearing from all the animals I’ve taken. Knew he should be done, but being about 40yrds from alder thicket, and having seen a buddy’s bear go from dead to sprinting, I don’t risk it. First round he locked up, immediately dropping his head and presently a frontal brisket shot, so hit him a 2nd time just left of center brisket lengthwise through the vitals. First shot took out about 11” of spine and into vitals. He never moved other than his head falling, feet never touched the ground. Easiest brown/grizzly bear to date for me.
Then came skinning him out. Even with my buddy, he was simply so massive we struggled to roll him off the kill mound for photos, then were able to use the mount to essentially leg press-him over onto his back. From there all we could do was rock back and forth to finish him out. Squared 10’2” without any stretching and before fleshing. Coolest thing is his lower jaw, which right half looks like it was ripped almost off many years ago. So bottom right canine and two other front teeth shoot strait out. Top left canine also broken off years ago too, almost to the base, and rounded/polished off over the years since. Old bear with a pretty big noggin. Being without calipers and not to town yet, used a post, 2x6 and measuring tape to get rough measurements, 28 5/8” B&C and 29 15/16” SCI. Heaviest single pack load I’ve carried for sure. His hide barely fit inside my Barney’s frame pack with their largest pack bag.
F371E89A-86C7-4619-A526-585559026315.jpegD6E733FE-8EA2-40D5-BD87-8441F04497D6.jpeg3602196A-88C7-473C-AB27-D4B51BA6CF2B.jpeg3A9C3188-3E2D-4D1B-A8F6-C4B35D3278FB.jpegF06F73FA-872D-4216-B9EB-E7BD917A674B.jpegC7ECCF9F-9BF6-4468-8A6D-395283BBA8FB.jpeg

Right on. I bet you have the area to hunt completely to yourselves. This year is one heck of a year in Alaska in more ways than one.

Excellent story and good on you for waiting until the wind was right! First day success is a blessing and a curse.

That skull will make an incredible trophy. I am amazed how tough those critters are. Good luck with the rest of the hunt.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Super quiet down here for sure, but also made for an extremely special trip. It was a couple close friends and extended family that are pilots/guides/outfitters that are normally swamped this time of year. So we turned a bad situation of cancelled seasons and flight surveys into a family trip and time to recreate with each other, wives, kiddos, just an amazing time even before guns left their cases. Combine that with an area stoked family history going back a few decades, and it makes for a trip literally of a lifetime regardless what, if anything, is harvested. Looking through old albums here I found a photo of my father-in-law holding one of his client’s He just guided bear skulls, and he just looked so young. Well, he was, since the photo is 35 years ago. He is 67 now, and was a spry 32 old in the photo. This was originally where my wife and I were going to get married, but after looking at the costs and orchestration to get everyone out here had to decline the gracious offer.

This has been a special trip because it’s with friends/family that I don’t often get hunt with due to work, and even more special, watch their kids hunt and fish too. Another reason we didn’t go after my bear the first time. If we had, one of my buddies would have suffered for it since his young son was with us—and the first rule he was given by mom before we headed out was to not take him back in the thick stuff, and certainly not a moose kill. We put a stalk on another bear for him, close to the lake, and ended up passing once we were in range as it was simply too small. When we returned to camp, they went on looking for an opportunity that wouldn’t get him in hot water, and I went back with another buddy to back me up if the wind allowed us to get back there. And skinning him out, after having run the one bear off twice, about a 7.5-8’ guy, and having darkness come completely upon us, I also completely understood why his mom didn’t want any of the younger boys back in there—especially when you the. Hear two bears fighting a few couple-few hundred yards in the direction we were going to have to pack out.

A special trip, in itself, that will not ever likely happen similar to this again—the bear, and maybe another or two, icing on the cake.

Attachments

• 34FA177A-3411-4A2A-88A1-41209D6E51BC.jpeg
    34FA177A-3411-4A2A-88A1-41209D6E51BC.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 143A415B-8F33-468D-8506-D0D22B2DC7DB.jpeg
    143A415B-8F33-468D-8506-D0D22B2DC7DB.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 45B9215D-2B54-4D9F-9726-AAB088828B6D.jpeg
    45B9215D-2B54-4D9F-9726-AAB088828B6D.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 64
I give up, trying to spot landmarks, it really doesn’t matter. I’ve not been below the Meshic in a couple of years, typically only once or twice at that. That’s just fantastic country, I know I’ll regret not spending more time down from The Narrows.
Great Bear, congratulations.

WKR
Sounds like a bad place to be a moose. Great brownie and appreciated the story.