Alaska POW Island Mid-July, what flies do I need?

Wapiti1

WKR
I'll be at Coffman Cove on the island from the 9th to the 17th of July. Looks like there are several options for stream/river fly fishing.

What do I need that time of year for trout and dollies? Looks like there should be a sockeye run as well, so what for them? I've fished the Kenai peninsula several times, but always in Sept and that is a pretty simple choice of bead or egg pattern. I've seen sockeye, but never fished the run for them. Just silvers later in the season.

I'll bring a 9' 7wt rod.

Thanks,

Jeremy

slvrslngr

WKR
Egg patterns, egg sucking leach, flesh flies, basic streamers in bright colors. You’ll mostly be seeing pinks, chums and dollies with the occasional cohosh the mix. You might catch some sea run cutthroat as well.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks. I have a few of those. Thought that I'd be way early for the coho run.

Jeremy

slvrslngr

WKR
Yeah, might be a bit early for coho but you never know. You'll have fun though, especially if you hook up to a big chum, they'll give your 7wt a good workout!

Wooly buggers for char an dollies, For sockeye you want a very sparse fly, Bristol Bay flies has a good assortment. Chums, any thing purple. Pinks, any thing pink.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Did good on rubber eggs when I was working around neck lake a few years ago. They have an artificial run of cohos the hard part of it is you have to tides right to get the right drift… low to about mid was the best fishing

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
We were catching them around the 4th but I think that’s the earliest run on the island