Alaska sheep hunt excitement

Buster

WKR
It's amazing what hard hunting teaches us about ourselves and others. Especially adverse conditions. Good luck on the next outing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
About 6 years ago I really got into backpack hunting. I lost two long time hunting buddy's because of it. One in particular went out on a 5 day bivy hunt with me, he lasted one night and we haven't hunted together since.

I think some guys really just want a vacation with the boys, drinking beer and BSing. Hunting is just what they call it to there wife's:)

kaboku68

WKR
I have had two different hunting partners bail. One was 40 years old when I was 15 years old. The sheep were right in sight and the guy just got anxiety issues.

The other I truly knew that after 7 miles through the brush there was literally no way that he was going to make it out alone. I didn't want to explain myself to his wife.
Funny thing though. I went hunting the next week and did well. He on the other hand was told he was a pussy by his wife who eventually left him for another woman.
She is still friends with us. He on the other hand, will probably be permanently branded a pussy.

Sincerely,
Thomas

gelton

WKR
Had a buddy break down on me last elk season. Still a coworker and friend but he will never be invited back. He was so whipped I had to hike 4 miles back to the truck with him to drive into cell service twice on a 9 day trip. He was such a whiner we left three days early just to shut him up. My wife explained it best - its probably not the fact that they are pussy whipped its probably the fact that they are such wimps that they can't handle the physical and mental strain of backpack hunting and end up blaming it on their girls instead of admitting the fact that they are a wimp. On a side note my wife recently joined me on a scouting/hiking adventure and would have ran circles around my buddy. Too bad she isn't a hunter (not yet anyway) as I would be glad to take her along.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
So bad news on my sheep hunting trip.

After getting about 15 miles into sheep country and starting to see some good rams my hunting partner breaks down on the mountain crying ,literally crying, saying he wants to go home. That was his first time going on a extended hunt in the mountains and he was not mentally prepared for the challenge. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I tried to get him to stick it out seeing that we were only 5 days into a 12 day hunt but he said he was going back to the truck with or with out me. I could have pushed him off the mountain, but back we came. So this weekend I'm headed back to the mountains by myself to enjoy God's creation and chase some sheep.
That sucks.. I have had a similar experience.. It certainly strains the friendship. A good hunting partner is worth his weight in gold. Be careful by yourself and good luck. Sure hope your story has a good ending for ya this year.

Bighorse

WKR
I wasn't trying to be a jerk earlier questioning a 70 mile trip. I'm just very practical and like to accomplish backcountry hunts. I've hiked into the Brooks and know what kinda strain it really is. Wander in 30 miles, run low on food, and get snowed on for a few days and BOOM! Moral is low and your stuck with a long dangerous slog. Managing your ego at the trailhead is a hard earned skill. It's kinda like learning what your effective range is with archery. Everythings rosey at home with a foam target. Throw an adrenaline push, 30 degree downslope, 23mph side wind, and a 350" bull into the mix and all of a sudden things are not rosey.
Mountain hunting is the same. Your gonna get owned and you've always gotta have something in reserve physically and mentally.
I've been witness to broke down partners. I don't love it.
The best partners i've found have been experienced comercial fishermen and trained military men.
Funny thing is i'm not either. They sure make great hunting friends though.
I agree with the rest day sentiment here, when moral is low, It's time to chill and get it back, not go back. We all function at different levels at different times. Getting both partners back into work mode is important.
Happy trails everyone.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Maybe its just me but I don't think planning to hike 70+ miles over a 12 day period that absurd at all. Sounds like you know your way around in the mountains and even solo I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Be careful and make smart choices obviously but have fun with it too. I did 55 miles in 5 days on a sheep hunt a couple years back and helped a buddy pull a ram 20+ miles in and also got myself a ram 22 miles in with my wife in tow. It can be done for sure its just a matter of time you can commit to the hunt is the main thing IMO. Best of luck to ya.

Oh btw, Bighorse I am not a comm fisherman or a military man...so what am I chopped liver??? :D Geez you'd think 2011 was all but forgotten ;)

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Had a buddy break down on me last elk season. Still a coworker and friend but he will never be invited back. He was so whipped I had to hike 4 miles back to the truck with him to drive into cell service twice on a 9 day trip. He was such a whiner we left three days early just to shut him up. My wife explained it best - its probably not the fact that they are pussy whipped its probably the fact that they are such wimps that they can't handle the physical and mental strain of backpack hunting and end up blaming it on their girls instead of admitting the fact that they are a wimp. On a side note my wife recently joined me on a scouting/hiking adventure and would have ran circles around my buddy. Too bad she isn't a hunter (not yet anyway) as I would be glad to take her along.

Your wife got a sister?! Haha

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Your wife got a sister?! Haha

If Becca does have a sister, the sister would probably eat you for lunch.:) The degree of mental and physical toughness it takes to do those kind of hunt on a regular basis is impressive. Sometimes, it makes a difference if there is a partner along who can give the encouragement needed at appropriate times.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Oh btw, Bighorse I am not a comm fisherman or a military man...so what am I chopped liver??? :D Geez you'd think 2011 was all but forgotten ;)

not chopped liver, a dwarf human like lizard from the Jurassic period. t- rex moffat. I could never forget!! Good luck out there and be safe moffats!

He can carry crazy weight on his back for sure. Only thing I found that he doesn't do well with those T-Rex arms is push river boats off a sand bar. There is certainly worse guys to walk (9 miles) back to the truck with though!

Last edited: