Alaska side arm?

Soooo, I lack in the large pistol category and looking at options for Alaska. Right now I’m considering a 10mm and 44 mag. My wife and I are doing a drop caribou hunt and I’d like to have something for self defense. I know each caliber will do it’s job with a well placed shot. Trying to decide if I want a revolver or semi auto. Definitely don’t want 6 extra pounds to lug around. Neither would ever really make it in the personal carry arsenal. Well, they could lol. Any suggestions or recommendations. Don’t mind getting a nicer gun but also don’t want the $2500 kimber 10mm I saw at a gun store a couple days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
I like the 10mm for grizzly territory. I spend more time in the GYE than in AK by a long shot. I have both a 1911 and the Sig p220 in 10mm. I think the Sig of the more reliable of the 2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
I like the 10mm for grizzly territory. I spend more time in the GYE than in AK by a long shot. I have both a 1911 and the Sig p220 in 10mm. I think the Sig of the more reliable of the 2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So I’ve seen sig has a p220 legion in 10mm and they have the tacops 1911 in 10mm. Both look nice

TheGDog

WKR
Why not the G29? It'd be doable for EDC afterward. Razco makes a nice holster for it to sit under your bino harness.

OP
ddavis_1313
Why not the G29? It'd be doable for EDC afterward. Razco makes a nice holster for it to sit under your bino harness.

Well, that’s why I’m here. To try and get options. Seems like the revolver option is out. Most guys are carrying semi. Plus, it’s nice to add a light to it in case the bear helps himself into my sleeping bag at night. Lol

TheGDog

WKR
It's only like an inch shorter in barrel length than the G20 stock barrel. So probably a drop in fps like 50-100fps I'd imagine.

4ester

WKR
You can also run the G20 Mag with a grip extension on a G29 for increased round count. Then put the G29 Mag in for when you need to conceal.

If you already own a 9mm you could buy a box of Buffalo Bore solids. A used compact Remington 870 12ga. / Mossberg 500 is good economic option too.

I’m with Antares. S&W 329 PD revolver. The problem with the extra ammo in a 10mm is ammo is heavy. YMMV

jhm2023

WKR
I'm really happy with my FNX 45 tactical converted to 460 Rowland as a bear defense gun. It's a good bit lighter weight than the 454 and 44 wheel guns I used to carry. Some added benefit to it over a wheel gun are night sights, ability to install a red dot and/or weapon mounted light, lower recoil for faster follow ups (even less snappy than a 10mm) and 15+1 capacity with 200gr xtreme penetrators moving over 1,400fps isn't too bad either. Then in the off season it goes back to 45 auto and wears a suppressor because why not.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR
I went from a short barreled .460 S&W to the p220 legion 10mm. The .460 was a massive heavy chunk of steel that was hard to shoot and not much fun to practice with. Unless you’re dedicated to a lot of range time with expensive ammo and don’t mind lugging it around on your chest I would avoid it.

The sig 10mm has been awesome and I have never had a misfire or any issue through quite a few rounds. I also really like the manual safety keeping close in the tent. I typically wear it on a drop thigh/hip holster that doesn’t interfere with my pack belt. I’m not a glock fan but know many that have had great success with them. Hard to beat to the look and feel of the sig though.

Never owned or shot the FNX 460 Rowland but I can understand why many hold them in such high regards, I have almost impulse purchased one a few times. Ammo may be trickier to come by though as well.

SWOHTR

WKR
300px-M67b.jpg

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
While I have no experience in big bear country, I regularly hunt in black bear land and they can get up to and over 500lbs. Of what you mentioned I have and carry my G29, G20, and a Redhawk 4" .44mag. I also used to have a G40 and still have several other 10mms, but they are more dedicated hunters in opposed to defense rigs. I pretty much rotate them out based on what I am doing, the weather, and how far I am going. The Redhawk is nice and you will never feel under gunned, but its a big chunk of steel to lug around. Choosing between the G29 and G20 is a toss up usually. For my G29 I have both the stock and extended barrels as well as the grip sleeve to run the 15 rounders, but if your going to do that you might as well just rock the G20. Of the 3, my G20 gets the most woods time. It seems to feel that happy middle ground. Not as heavy or wide of a profile as the Redhawk, and does everything the G29 does but a little better(esp with all the add-ons) unless I'm just scouting in a t-shirt. I always load up with my hardcast handloads for woods protection. 200 grainers skipping along at almost 1250-1300 fps offers great woods ballistics. Also, as far as ammo weight goes. In my autos I rarely carry a spare mag with me. For the wheel gun a speed strip goes in the pocket. I figure if I can't get it done with either my primary weapon or 12-15 rounds then feeding a bear or cougar as I leave this world isn't a bad way to go.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Glock 30SF here. KKM Barrel and a 23 lb spring.
Shooting .45 Super BB 255gr. hardcast.
I like the heavier bullet and bigger bore of the .45
over the 10mm.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 30SF here. KKM Barrel and a 23 lb spring.
Shooting .45 Super BB 255gr. hardcast.
I like the heavier bullet and bigger bore of the .45
over the 10mm.

I carry a Ruger alaskan.

I CC my 30SF with a 9 rd mag.
i like your setup for 30SF, i might consider it for woods just to switch it up sometimes.

sharpekd

FNG
I lived in AK for a couple of years. I preferred to carry a Ruger 44 Mag while fishing in bear country. I noticed most of the people fishing in those areas preferred revolvers too.