Alaska Spring Black Bear series

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Later this month we are doing a YouTube exclusive Alaska Black Bear hunt. As part of that, we want to show people the step-by-step process of how they can do this hunt for under $2,000. We cover logistics, tag draw, equipment, camp selection, tides, etc.

Here is the first episode we did leading up to that hunt. A lot of people want to know about the equipment we use for specific hunts. This is not all of it, but the Alaska-specific items I have boiled it down to after doing this hunt six time.

None of this is the gospel, just a lot of trial and error for my hunting style.

[video=youtube_share;-Q9mjKerl9U]https://youtu.be/-Q9mjKerl9U[/video]

Dameon

WKR
Hi Randy, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. That looks like a pretty thorough and well thought out list. That being said, why use a marine band radio instead of something like a Delorme InReach? I imagine the radio will work fine in SE Alaska, but a Delorme would work where ever you are hunting and I know you hunt a lot of different places.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Randy, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. That looks like a pretty thorough and well thought out list. That being said, why use a marine band radio instead of something like a Delorme InReach? I imagine the radio will work fine in SE Alaska, but a Delorme would work where ever you are hunting and I know you hunt a lot of different places.

A couple reasons. In this part of Alaska there are tons of fishing boats and if you put out a call on a marine band radio, help will be there quickly. A marine band radio gives the best local weather updates I know of and that can be invaluable on these remote hunts in SE AK. Additionally, I already have a marine band radio for my fishing/boating on big waters down here, so by using that I don't need to invest in another piece of gear yet still have the safety when needed.

Thanks for watching.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
This video answers a ton of the logistics questions that will save you a lot of headache. It also explains how we do this hunt for under $2,000.

[video=youtube_share;q8RMskUU7Hc]https://youtu.be/q8RMskUU7Hc[/video]

WKR
Thanks Randy, for all you do

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
These videos are invaluable. Thank you for putting these out there and sharing your extensive knowledge. Also thank you for being the steward you are and fighting for public lands that benefit everyone. Great stuff!!