Alaska Students Moose Hunting Featured in the New York Times

Getting young people out in the field hunting is one of the most important things that we hunters can do to preserve our heritage, traditions, and populations of game.

I am thankful to have the opportunity to teach hunter education on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. In my capacity as a school teacher, we began an Alaska Outdoor Education course at Nikiski Middle High School in 2013. This course provides an excellent avenue to dive deep into outdoor skills like land navigation, wilderness trip planning, hunter's safety and much more. We are able to take at least one group out on a big game hunt each year.

As a capstone experience, students from Nikiski's Outdoor Explorations class, in partnership with Alaska's Kenai Peninsula Chapter of Safari Club International and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, participate in an educational moose hunt. This hunt program is designed to put the kids in control of the hunt as much as possible - from field to freezer. Students are able to use what they learn in the Alaska Outdoor Explorations course to plan out a gear list, plan tactics to use while hunting and consider what types of meat products they would like to make from the moose. The only thing that the students can't do is shoot the moose.

This year we were fortunate to have the New York Times join us on the educational moose hunt and tell our story. The link to the story is in blue below.

Alaska Students Moose Hunting

IMG_7268.jpgIMG_7284.JPGIMG_7281.JPGResized_20211111_142921.JPEGResized_20211111_172038.JPEGIMG_7285.JPG

CoHiCntry

WKR
Interesting, people have been able to access it by signing in with a google, FB or other credential.
Ok, I was able to read it by clicking the log in using Google. I don’t have FB. Already got an email from the NYT… great 😌

I enjoyed the article! I think it’s great what they’re doing. I read the first comment under the article 🙄. Where do these people come from? I didn’t read them all, just scanned the first few. Other than the first comment, the next few were decent. I’m sure there’s some doozies in there though!

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Great job getting the kids out & involved, and especially getting it written up in the Times.

I used to help with that hunt when I lived on the K Penn, too far of a drive now.

Is Roy still killing stuff with a spear ?

OP
Spartan Gunner
I'm not sure if Roy has speared any bears lately or not. He sure has some awesome adventures. Roy joined the board of our local SCI chapter about a year and a half ago. He is an amazing force as an ambassador for hunting and our community.

slatty

WKR
Bravo. I read the article. I absolutely love what you are doing with taking the kids on this hunt and what an experience you are providing them. Great exposure for the kids and also for hunting in general through the NY times article. Awesome all around.