Alaska Summit Guide Service

You’re right, I don’t know everything about Alaska, only been there once. And again this summer. Saying weather an outfitters spot is good or not when you don’t work for them is kinda low. There’s a lot of guys out there that over hunt/ book their private leases. There’s no perfect spot.

I’m sorry but I 100 percent disagree with you. I have not said a thing about this guys character or how he handles clients. In short I said I would look elsewhere because his area he conducts his non draw sheep hunts is one of the most crowded areas in Alaska if not the most crowded. I don’t have to work for someone to have an opinion good or bad though. My passion is sheep hunting and I have a little bit of helpful knowledge to pass to my non resident fellow Rokslide hunters wanting to hear an unbiased opinion.

And BTW a sole use concession can’t be oversold by the outfitter as you alueded to. There is oversite by the federal land managers to ensure that does not take place. There may not be the perfect spot to hunt sheep but a sole use concession or a draw area is about as close to perfect in this state as you are going to get.

I never tried to sell hunts where I Guide at or have given suggestions on who to hunt with to this original op. Just generalized that a sole use concession is the only way to go bottom line.

Are their state land guys I would recommend. Sure there are. And a few are regularly on this site because I KNOW that their areas are not inundated with people and have very low chances of becoming crowded.

This particular outfit is not one of them and the reason I spoke up.

With plenty of other sole use federal concessions out there near the same costs why would you role the dice with the Alaska free for all state land hunts? It baffles my mind when you have no clue about this area what so ever and try to discredit me and my suggestions. I’ve hunted out there numerous times. And it has been inundated with more guide operations out there in the last 10 years. I’m a resident of AK and can and will hunt sheep in any OTC hunt with ZERO reguard to costs to get there from my home in Interior AK. I’ve hunted 8 of the nine Mtn ranges of this state that hold sheep. One thing I won’t do is contend with over hunted crowded commercial operations in an area which GMU 19 is famous for.

Hopefully we get a state land concession program to get ahold of this situation.

Like I said most guides know there is too many registered guides in our state whether they want to admit it publicly or not.

Take my suggestions or don’t. It is not going to hurt my feelings one way or another. But anyone going on these state land hunts taking advice from guides or outfitters that have their businesses out there in there says a lot.

I can say the areas I hunt or guide in are NEVER going to be crowed with other commercial operations. State land outfitters can’t say that bottom line.

BUYER beware I guess. Good luck on your hunt. I truly just want non residents to have a fun and successful hunt and if this guy does it for you this August good on him.

I’m sorry but I 100 percent disagree with you. I have not said a thing about this guys character or how he handles clients. In short I said I would look elsewhere because his area he conducts his non draw sheep hunts is one of the most crowded areas in Alaska if not the most crowded. I don’t have to work for someone to have an opinion good or bad though. My passion is sheep hunting and I have a little bit of helpful knowledge to pass to my non resident fellow Rokslide hunters wanting to hear an unbiased opinion.

And BTW a sole use concession can’t be oversold by the outfitter as you alueded to. There is oversite by the federal land managers to ensure that does not take place. There may not be the perfect spot to hunt sheep but a sole use concession or a draw area is about as close to perfect in this state as you are going to get.

I never tried to sell hunts where I Guide at or have given suggestions on who to hunt with to this original op. Just generalized that a sole use concession is the only way to go bottom line.

Are their state land guys I would recommend. Sure there are. And a few are regularly on this site because I KNOW that their areas are not inundated with people and have very low chances of becoming crowded.

This particular outfit is not one of them and the reason I spoke up.

With plenty of other sole use federal concessions out there near the same costs why would you role the dice with the Alaska free for all state land hunts? It baffles my mind when you have no clue about this area what so ever and try to discredit me and my suggestions. I’ve hunted out there numerous times. And it has been inundated with more guide operations out there in the last 10 years. I’m a resident of AK and can and will hunt sheep in any OTC hunt with ZERO reguard to costs to get there from my home in Interior AK. I’ve hunted 8 of the nine Mtn ranges of this state that hold sheep. One thing I won’t do is contend with over hunted crowded commercial operations in an area which GMU 19 is famous for.

Hopefully we get a state land concession program to get ahold of this situation.

Like I said most guides know there is too many registered guides in our state whether they want to admit it publicly or not.

Take my suggestions or don’t. It is not going to hurt my feelings one way or another. But anyone going on these state land hunts taking advice from guides or outfitters that have their businesses out there in there says a lot.

I can say the areas I hunt or guide in are NEVER going to be crowed with other commercial operations. State land outfitters can’t say that bottom line.

BUYER beware I guess. Good luck on your hunt. I truly just want non residents to have a fun and successful hunt and if this guy does it for you this August good on him.

My sense is you may have another motive here or an axe to grind...

My sense is you may have another motive here or an axe to grind...

I don’t think my motive has ever been a secret Idahohikker. And the axe I have to grind with is the terrible overcrowded conditions both non residents and residents alike experience primarily in GMU 19 to some extent 20A.

Are you educated in our overcrowded conditions non residents and residents experience in these GMU’s? What is your constructive solution to the uneducated non resident looking for advice?

Alaska has gotten a poor reputation for sub par Dall sheep hunts. Non residents have been screwed over so many times by fly by night operations in Alaska. Are you aware of this? Canadian outfitters are $10-15k higher from start to finish on same number day Dall Sheep hunts. Our genetics in Alaska are better but we continually loose out customers to Canada. Heck if I was a non resident of Alaska and just looking at the surface of Alaska available hunts; Canadian Dall hunts would be hard to pass up.

Idahohikker are you aware of our two tier guiding laws in Alaska?

I’m assuming you are from Idaho where I originally came from. My folks still live in North Fork. Idaho does not have a two tier system of guiding. As Alaska should be. One exclusive sole use concession is what Idaho has per outfitter. In your favorite areas of Idaho to hunt or if you guide, what if Idaho allowed an unlimited number of outfitters selling an unlimited number of permits. Quality of the resources go down and it becomes an over crowed area.

You wouldn’t want to know that if you were coming to Idaho to hunt as a non resident hiring a guide because you are legally required to of this situation?

Politics keeps the law the same and allowing this to continue and the non residents and resident hunters keep getting the short end of this with poor quality hunts.

What other ways of getting the change nessesary?

By educating the folks who have no clue is how. Which in turn gets people to consider the alternatives and hopefully starve off financially some of these guiding outfits who are out of control by customers/clients not choosing sub par/sub standard overcrowded hunts in GMU 19. Currently GMU 19 has over 3 times the amount of commercial outfitters that it can sustain FACT. Good old fashion capatilism of the strongest ones survives and the others go out of business is OK with me if the state is not willing to get it under control through normal regulatory means.

But if you feel like my motives are anything else than what I’ve said you are wrong.

I’ve never in this thread even recommended any particular outfitters by name. Only for the original op to think really hard about hunting in GMU 19 on state land. And I have had plenty of PM’s over the last year since posting on similar threads. My messages are the same.

You are a non resident and obviously interested in sheep hunting looking at this thread. Have you hunted up here? If not had the opportunity and you plan to in the future why would you not want this info?

My guiding outfit is 300 miles north of this GMU 19 on a sole use federal concession with 4 years booked solid. That should tell you my motives are not for selling hunts on this forum. Our concession speaks for itself on quality because of the sole use concession and the quality of animals in an uncrowned area.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I really appreciate the insight shared here, thank you!

As a non resident who dreams of hunting AK one day, I find this dialog incredibly useful. It’s honest and clearly passionate advice that allows others to make informed choices.