Alaska tagging question

Rwolf

FNG
Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a locking tag for a black bear that I did not use unfortunately. I can use it to tag a blacktail on a hunt this fall since it is of lesser value than the bear, can't I?

One question I'd have is are general NR locking tags good for the calendar year (January 1 - December 31) or the SOA fiscal year which ends June 30th? Most black bear units open in the fall and are open through June 30th so Black bear harvest tickets are good July 1 - June 30th. Is it different for locking tags for black bears? Does it say 2022 on the locking tag? I can't find the answer in the regs, but maybe having the tag in hand provides it.

One question I'd have is are general NR locking tags good for the calendar year (January 1 - December 31) or the SOA fiscal year which ends June 30th? Most black bear units open in the fall and are open through June 30th so Black bear harvest tickets are good July 1 - June 30th. Is it different for locking tags for black bears? Does it say 2022 on the locking tag? I can't find the answer in the regs, but maybe having the tag in hand provides it.

Locking tags are valid for a calendar year, January 1st through December 31st. Harvest tickets are valid for a regukatory year, July 1st through June 30th.

The years run different for NR and Resident. If I remember correctly it's calendar year for NR and the July1-June 30th for Resident, but check to make sure :)

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Please call a Trooper and do your research. The AK resident and non resident tagging and locking tags have been different in the past. We had a Trooper try to jam us up on the locking tag. He was wrong and we were OK on the deal. Yes I see the contradiction of me tell you to call a Trooper when the one we encountered was wrong. AK game laws can be very different for residents and non residents. Just my .02

The difference is that most residents rarely hold a locking tag. And when they do, it's usually a registration or draw hunt with well defined seasons. That's where the confusion comes in I believe. And honestly why I had the question.

The difference is that most residents rarely hold a locking tag. And when they do, it's usually a registration or draw hunt with well defined seasons. That's where the confusion comes in I believe. And honestly why I had the question.

As a nonresident, you must have a metal locking tag in possession, along with your harvest ticket or draw permit or registration permit, before entering the field. It's a blatant violation of the codified regulations for a nonresident to pursue and take any big game animal without a valid locking tag in possession, regardless of possessing a harvest ticket, draw permit or registration permit. The law is explicitly clear. No confusion.

Please call a Trooper and do your research. The AK resident and non resident tagging and locking tags have been different in the past. We had a Trooper try to jam us up on the locking tag. He was wrong and we were OK on the deal. Yes I see the contradiction of me tell you to call a Trooper when the one we encountered was wrong. AK game laws can be very different for residents and non residents. Just my .02
The difference is that Residents do not need them, except for musk ox and a few registration brown bear hunts. Harvest tickets, registration permits are free for all. Its the locking tag where they get the money from NR, and the hunting license.

And yes they are good for a Calendar Year. The harvest ticket is for the "hunting season" so June to June as is the hunting license. Bag limits also go June-June. Confusing- I think they should just make everything Calendar year.

Troopers are not "Game Wardens/Conservation Officers" in the normal sense. They are State Troopers first then may be assigned to enforce game laws. I don't like how AK does that.

As a nonresident, you must have a metal locking tag in possession, along with your harvest ticket or draw permit or registration permit, before entering the field. It's a blatant violation of the codified regulations for a nonresident to pursue and take any big game animal without a valid locking tag in possession, regardless of possessing a harvest ticket, draw permit or registration permit. The law is explicitly clear. No confusion.
Yes, very aware of that. No one has said otherwise. That's not the discussion here.

I simply said that most residents only deal with harvest tickets and not locking tags. So that's where confusion may lie about when during the season/calendar a locking tag is good for - especially for a resident that almost never holds a locking tag and with black bears because of how seasons don't end when the calendar year does. Because the harvest ticket for a black bear runs July-June, just wanted to make sure he was covered with his locking tag and that it didn't expire June 30. I know that locking tags have years printed on them. Just trying to help out the OP to make sure he checks all his boxes. If you guide and whatever and deal with NR's yearly, I'm sure you're right that it's good for fall season. Not sure how this turned into a pissing match???? Seems like you're looking for things to argue about at this point.

I don't see any arguing, I see a guy explaining exactly how it is and others trying to confuse that with additional questions. lol

OP
Rwolf

Rwolf

FNG
Thank you for all the replies. I have looked through all of the game regulations and I believe the info is correct. I should be able to use the locking tag for the calendar year as well as my hunting license as it is valid until December 31 as well. I keep telling my wife that this next hunt is basically free, lol!

slick

WKR
It is amazing how some cannot read a regulation packet. Glad the OP received the right info.