Alaska to New Mexico OTC Aoudad success

Tekla

FNG
Well after a year of dreaming about my missed shot the year before I was back. Sleepless nights thinking about what to do different. Tons of research and thought to make this year a success.
Six of us were there to hunt. Three groups of two was about perfect. Two of us set out to spot some sheep and had them in the scope by 10 am on the first day. What luck! After some long stalks that kept being cut off by cliffs we were able to get within 600 yards. The problem is I just don’t like taking those kinds of shots. Every one we met kept saying “ well I’m good out to 1000”. Being from Alaska most our shots are close and personal. 300 and under would be about perfect. After missing last year I was willing to do what ever it took. So we headed back to the truck and left them for tomorrow.
The next day packs were loaded up to spend a couple nights out of need be. Headed up the hill and had them spotted by about 1:00. After getting to about 600 again there was some sitting and waiting for most of the day. The group of about 30 headed to a little cut on the side of the mountain and I thought we had blown it. The two of us decided to head over and see if there was a chance to make it happen. After about 2 hours of creeping and being slow and methodical they were ours dead to rights at 190 yards. After getting set up, some prayers were said, and the led flew.
Our two rams were down! They weren’t monsters but neither one of us cared one bit. After trying to get to them the realization hit us that there was an impassable cliff. First thing in the morning a trip down and back up the other side was in store for us.
That night happened to be the wolf blood moon eclipse. New Mexico desert and that red moon was amazing. Unforgettable moment sleeping under the stars with a good friend and his 14 year old son.
The next morning was a butt kicker of a hike through thorns, cactus, and rocky slopes. Down and back up. The rams were still there and this couple of guys couldn’t have been happier. Pictures were taken and sheep were butchered. Back to the truck for a fire and a few celebratory beers.
The rest of the week was spent trying to get our other buddies on some rams. Many stalks later there were no more rams.

Love New Mexico I could see myself spending much more time there. It was a nice little vacation away from the Alaskan winter.
f784ce814a096c1c98390b1c71b692a1.jpg
b00f724385ec5909e0364f3319b78ec8.jpg
ac42634cd1b9309f439b0aac2945126b.jpg
19d37b40ca3b7509f13150be109005e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk