Alaska travel mandate

LostArra

WKR
I'm not sure Gov Dunleavy has completely thought through his new mandate. A negative covid test within 72 hours of arrival is a tough chore for a lot of travelers. For some of us it's near impossible to even get to Alaska in a single day due to flight schedules and testing in a tiny airport like Ketchikan will be a debacle.
I don't mind getting the test except for the nasal /brain swabbing but the logistics of getting reliable test results will be a problem. I know there are quick tests but with less reliable results.

teamr2

FNG
I run a fishing lodge on a super remote part of POW Island in SE Alaska. Have been following the mandates like a hawk. It's gong to be a major pain for our clients to orchestrate test results within 72 hours but so far the die hards we have coming up seem to be willing to do whatever it takes. It's going to be interesting as quick tests do not yet seem to be available in all locations.

She's ruining their economy. It's not a mere inconvenience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I run a fishing lodge on a super remote part of POW Island in SE Alaska. Have been following the mandates like a hawk. It's gong to be a major pain for our clients to orchestrate test results within 72 hours but so far the die hards we have coming up seem to be willing to do whatever it takes. It's going to be interesting as quick tests do not yet seem to be available in all locations.

POW is where I'm heading (hopefully) for my 5th summer trip.

teamr2

FNG
Awesome island. I’m in Port Protection. If you are near or need anything give me a shout.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got off the phone with my insurance provider, she gave me two clinics near me that do "testing without symptoms" and that if I call them and explain that I need to travel with a negative test result within 72 hours that they might be able to accommodate me. Definitely some hurdles to jump through but I think its doable. Also, had a friend do the same thing, got tested Saturday (family of 4) and was able to get on the plane Monday, so it can be done!

It’s absolute nonsense, IMO to have to get a test on a virus that is no more lethal maybe even less than the normal flu. Just to visit one of the ‘Free’ 50 states..... absolutely preposterous. Looks like I’m staying in these hills.

It’s absolute nonsense, IMO to have to get a test on a virus that is no more lethal maybe even less than the normal flu. Just to visit one of the ‘Free’ 50 states..... absolutely preposterous. Looks like I’m staying in these hills.
It proves you were negative before you got in uber, checked in to airport, traveled on plane(s) potentially being infected all the while but you got a negative test so they can check their box...its a political solution for the middle ground...which 99% of the time create more problems than they solve.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
After about an hour worth of phone calls, I haven't found a solution...one place that would test wont have results for 4-5 days. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, supposedly the rule will be revised this Friday? Maybe there will be some leniency on it.

just get tested and show up. No one is actually following the Quarantine BS.... lots of commercial fishermen are getting tested, showing up and waiting until the results are in, just working on the boat.

Most people id say 95% arrive and just go about their business.

After about an hour worth of phone calls, I haven't found a solution...one place that would test wont have results for 4-5 days. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, supposedly the rule will be revised this Friday? Maybe there will be some leniency on it.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
72 Hours is going to be tight. I spoke with hospitals here in Maryland and the results are running right at 72 hours. That said, the volume of tests is dropping and results are coming back quicker. I have until August and am hoping for the best.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m loving this tourist free summer in Alaska. If it’s worth it to you get the test. If not STFH.

I bet the companies that depend on tourist like myself and my dad would say otherwise. Getting the test is easy, getting the results back with 72 hours is proving to be the almost impossible part. But hey, enjoy your TFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpietila

FNG
As an Alaskan that lives off the road system for most of the year I am interested to see what it’s like on the road system this year. No waiting in line to park your car at Russian river?

The governor is trying to open, he’s getting resistance from several people, this is the medium. So plan another day on the front and hang out in a hotel if you have to. Give people a hand and they are pist they didn’t get an arm.

As an Alaskan that lives off the road system for most of the year I am interested to see what it’s like on the road system this year. No waiting in line to park your car at Russian river?

Between the reduced tourist and the AK Outdoor Journal guy shutting his Facebook page down and not sending 20,000 mouth breathers that can’t think for themselves or read a fish chart to the same location each weekend, I sure hope so! Last year was unreal until that guy finally shut it down. this is a rig I found while cleaning up trash one evening on the upper Kenai:EE03E1E0-DB8C-470C-A9D9-5A16BA892E3B.jpeg

bpietila

FNG
The governor is trying to open, he’s getting resistance from several people, this is the medium. So plan another day on the front and hang out in a hotel if you have to. Give people a hand and they are pist they didn’t get an arm.

Between the reduced tourist and the AK Outdoor Journal guy shutting his Facebook page down and not sending 20,000 mouth breathers that can’t think for themselves or read a fish chart to the same location each weekend, I sure hope so! Last year was unreal until that guy finally shut it down. this is a rig I found while cleaning up trash one evening on the upper Kenai:View attachment 187118
That looks like a rock as a weight!? Custom made Carolina rig right there. Not sure if you can find the humor in it, but that right there is actually somewhat impressive.

FLAK

WKR
That level of testing complexity is not about a virus. Something else going on.

And that rig is very resourceful.

Question on all this if you test negative on the 72hr test, but catch it on the flight going up there. How safe is flying? Reason I'm ask me and my son are suppose to be going in Aug to visit our cousin and his wife to go fishing. Both of them are up in age. The last thing I want to do is pick up something and give it to them.