Alaska travel mandate

AKBorn

WKR
Question on all this if you test negative on the 72hr test, but catch it on the flight going up there. How safe is flying? Reason I'm ask me and my son are suppose to be going in Aug to visit our cousin and his wife to go fishing. Both of them are up in age. The last thing I want to do is pick up something and give it to them.

I traveled a lot for work, but was surprised by some of the text in this article in terms of the amount of fresh (not recirculated) air they claim is on aircraft. It reduced my level of worry, altho I have not flown since the CIVD started.

You could always get tested when you arrive in AK also, just to be safe and looking out for your cousin?

fmyth

WKR
I’m loving this tourist free summer in Alaska. If it’s worth it to you get the test. If not STFH.

I live in a tourist town in AZ and I understand how frustrating it can be when they come flooding in each year. During the "season" I can't find a parking space at my local store, I have to wait an hour or more for a table at any restaurant, and each year I usually have a close encounter with a tourist going the wrong way down the highway. BUT, one year without tourists and my local restaurants, grocery stores etc. would be forced to close or relocate and many of my friends businesses would suffer or close. Be careful what you wish for.

I arrived back to AK yesterday. My family and I got our test done this morning and should have our results by Sunday. Luckily it was free for us, but the clinic in Kenai is charging $400 for a non symptomatic test. As much I normally disagree with nugget, I’m kinda looking forward to a tourist free summer.

NUGGET

WKR
I arrived back to AK yesterday. My family and I got our test done this morning and should have our results by Sunday. Luckily it was free for us, but the clinic in Kenai is charging $400 for a non symptomatic test. As much I normally disagree with nugget, I’m kinda looking forward to a tourist free summer.
See this tourist made it up no problem. You guys can too!!!

So what does it mean when a plane full of tourists come up, with most off them being pretested (negative), at home, then the one person that decided to wait and get tested up here, tests positive. So everyone on that flight was exposed to numb nuts, and is now potentially positive as well. Complete f***ing joke IMO.

brsnow

WKR
It’s absolute nonsense, IMO to have to get a test on a virus that is no more lethal maybe even less than the normal flu. Just to visit one of the ‘Free’ 50 states..... absolutely preposterous. Looks like I’m staying in these hills.

100k plus have died with a total country shut down in 4 months. How many die from fly each year? It is important to have common sense if you want to provide a point. I am all for the opening up, you just need to make a valid point.

brsnow

WKR
So what does it mean when a plane full of tourists come up, with most off them being pretested (negative), at home, then the one person that decided to wait and get tested up here, tests positive. So everyone on that flight was exposed to numb nuts, and is now potentially positive as well. Complete f***ing joke IMO.

yes, to an extent, but everyone has temp taken, is wearing a mask, and the air is filtered to an very high level. Plane seems to be a very controllable environment. Take reasonable measures and live your life. Best we can do.

NUGGET

WKR
I live in a tourist town in AZ and I understand how frustrating it can be when they come flooding in each year. During the "season" I can't find a parking space at my local store, I have to wait an hour or more for a table at any restaurant, and each year I usually have a close encounter with a tourist going the wrong way down the highway. BUT, one year without tourists and my local restaurants, grocery stores etc. would be forced to close or relocate and many of my friends businesses would suffer or close. Be careful what you wish for.
Meh. I don’t
Lol, I’m a AK resident buddy.
my mistake I thought you were the okie the AST were looking into for spending the winters outside AK.

One change I’m making for this fall: Instead of buying my licenses and tags online ahead of time, I’ll wait until I’m in Alaska and cleared to hunt before I spend the money. If the testing /travel mandate is still in effect, some hunter (or hunters) will test positive and be instantly unable to continue their trip. I would have to believe any money spent would be lost, unless trip/travel insurance was purchased. And I sure as heck think there’s a significant chance this mandate could be in effect the remainder of 2020 if serious case numbers continue.

AKBorn

WKR
One change I’m making for this fall: Instead of buying my licenses and tags online ahead of time, I’ll wait until I’m in Alaska and cleared to hunt before I spend the money. If the testing /travel mandate is still in effect, some hunter (or hunters) will test positive and be instantly unable to continue their trip. I would have to believe any money spent would be lost, unless trip/travel insurance was purchased. And I sure as heck think there’s a significant chance this mandate could be in effect the remainder of 2020 if serious case numbers continue.

And one additional complicating factor Kevin - lots of travel insurance say in the fine print that pandemics are not covered...

And one additional complicating factor Kevin - lots of travel insurance say in the fine print that pandemics are not covered...

You're 100% right on that one. I guess it could boil down to the actual reason one's hunt was canceled....and how an insurer interprets the relationship to the pandemic. I never buy it anyway, but I'm fairly certain more people will be considering it.

Although seldom mentioned, there looks to be some risk of traveling/hunting contingent on a test result. The tests aren't without flaws and errors. Imagine arriving in Alaska only to then get a + CVD result and being in the netherworld of can't hunt/can't travel/must quarantine.

If that happens to me I'll be holed up and recovering in my tipi under an overpass.

lif

WKR
I encourage everyone that is genuinely concerned about the disease and their own safety to stay home. And I encourage everyone who’s not concerned about the disease to ignore the guidelines and live and operate businesses How you choose . If You think a contractors mask, latex gloves, and an inaccurate Covid test keeps you safe, you are either lying to yourself or not thinking your way through this at all. I refuse to ever do something I know is not logical or smart just because everyone is doing it. If you are reading this and don’t agree with me, I strongly suggest you study all the basic facts surrounding this and the statistics that are given, and how those statistics were manipulated. We are being lied to, and we are being drowned with fear and control right now. I refuse to wear a mask and I refuse to accept “THE NEW NORMAL “. Sorry to the Alaska businesses, but many businesses and areas around the country are in the same boat as you guys right now. It’s time to give the government the finger and take back what you want. Without “Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness “, America is no longer.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
If that happens to me I'll be holed up and recovering in my tipi under an overpass.

Might get a little crowded under there KD, but not a bad Plan-B...you could even order a pizza...topping wouldn't matter because your sense of taste and smell will be gone! (just joking back with you...)

I truly hope we all have safe and enjoyable hunting adventures this fall...it's a crazy time for sure, but it will eventually end!

How are these rules being enforced?? Not saying I would do this, but what is stopping anyone from flying to AK, get off the plane and getting tested, and carrying on their way into the woods?

If i am reading it right, It says in the mandate that if you take the test when you land (opposed to doing it w/in 72 hours advance of your flight) you "self- quarantine at your own expense" until you receive a negative result AND then take ANOTHER test within 7-14 days in which you "minimize interaction" until your 2nd negative result.... I havent checked on turnaround time yet in my area to see how hard it is to get results within 72 hours. But if it is as hard as people are saying it is to get results in time, and people opt for option B to get tested when they get to AK, it really doesnt seem any different than the previous 14 day self quarantine period. I could be reading it wrong??