Alaska travel

BillB

FNG
Just a heads up
When we landed in Anchorage last Friday they would only accept the travel declaration online
I had done the paper form but we quickly did the online form while we were taxiing to the gate. Some folks couldn't do it themselves but there were people assisting them as you entered the airport.
Not sure if other airports are following the same protocols

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up
When we landed in Anchorage last Friday they would only accept the travel declaration online
I had done the paper form but we quickly did the online form while we were taxiing to the gate. Some folks couldn't do it themselves but there were people assisting them as you entered the airport.
Not sure if other airports are following the same protocols

Ive seen the form, but are you saying they don’t take it hard copy? Is there someplace you submit it online? Headed into Fairbanks in 28 days, if all goes well.

click on the link a few posts above you and you can fill it out online for them. My parents are coming up next week and i am having them do the online form as well as have a hard copy with them.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Some places have faster turn around on their tests than others. Call around locally and see if you can find somewhere that does. The facility I work at has a standard test that will be resulted within 24 hours (just depends on the work load in the lab) and a rapid test that can come back in as little as 15 minuets (usually takes closer to an hour for processing times). In AK right now the state lab is taking 5 or so days to turn a test around due to backlog, so every facility that does not run their own equipment has a much longer turn around time.

Sorry if this was already covered, I did not feel like reading 4 pages.

Southeast

FNG
I fly into Juneau in 10 days for a fishing trip and will test the system out. The local Covid testing clinic tells me that getting online results within 72 hours should be no problem - even with testing on a thursday. I hope they're right.

How closely do you think they look at the actual time of the test? I'll be more like 75 hours because the flight lands late in the day. I guess if they decline it, I just move from the 72-hour protocol to the 5-day protocol.

LostArra

WKR
I just returned from an 8 day fishing trip. Do everything you can to have your negative test results (72 hours before departure) in hand when you get off the plane and you are good to go. I didn't talk to anyone who had a second test. I was in Ketchikan for 18 hours then on a plane to Prince of Wales.

LostArra

WKR
How closely do you think they look at the actual time of the test? I'll be more like 75 hours because the flight lands late in the day. I guess if they decline it, I just move from the 72-hour protocol to the 5-day protocol.

No problem. In Ketchikan they were looking at dates 3 days prior. Mine was a few hours past 72 but I was passed right thru the line.

BillB

FNG
SgtTanner- Sorry for the late reply- we just got home late last night

In ANC they would only take online declaration forms when we landed ( June 26). That may have changed as things seemed pretty fluid. I had printed and filled out the paper declaration but on that date the folks in ANC would only accept the online submission.
My wife was able to complete it while we taxied to the gate. There were employees in the terminal to assist those who had trouble submitting the online declaration. When my wife submitted it, she received a bar code, that bar code was scanned when we went through screening.
The whole process went smoothly- I can't speak for those who did not have a negative test result with them. People who needed a test were directed through a different process.
I'm not sure if this is any different in Fairbanks. Safe travels.

jefftrout

FNG
Just had to call off our trip. Was going to drive up from Seattle area. Spend ~2 weeks with the wife going through BC, Yukon and then Denali. Drop her at Fairbanks airport and pick up a buddy and head north for 9 days on the slope. But with the border now closed until at least Aug 21, that will have to wait for 2021. So disappointed. But now thinking a combo moose/caribou for next year to make up for it...

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner talked to the City of Kotzebue yesterday and they are requiring another test after getting into Alaska and then flying into Kotzebue. City said that you can get a test at the Anchorage airport and they will get you the results within the hour. This is getting a whole bunch confusing for this old man. Does anyone have info on this change of events?

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
City said that you can get a test at the Anchorage airport and they will get you the results within the hour.

If this is the case at Fairbanks, I may not even get a test before I depart from home. If the local tests are taking days, and the test at the airport is one hour? I’ll call and see what I can find out.

LostArra

WKR
I hope "they" are correct. Getting 1 hour results in an airport sounds like a gamble to me. Showing up with a 3day negative test in hand was the only way I was traveling that far.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I hope "they" are correct. Getting 1 hour results in an airport sounds like a gamble to me. Showing up with a 3day negative test in hand was the only way I was traveling that far.
How/where did you get tested? At your family doc? A local pharmacy doing drive thru testing? One of those mail in kits?

LostArra

WKR
How/where did you get tested? At your family doc? A local pharmacy doing drive thru testing? One of those mail in kits?

Our fishing group of four went to different places:
North Carolina "Urgent Care" facility
North Carolina CVS pharmacy
South Carolina big hospital setting
Oklahoma "Urgent Care" facility

The big hospital setting was the only test result that ran late.

My family found a few locations in Wisconsin to get tested before they come. What was pretty unnerving to me was that their local and family doctor wouldn't aid them in any way of taking a test, scheduling a test or pointing them in the right direction. They had to find locations on their own and they are several hours drive away.

duchntr

WKR
My hunting partner talked to the City of Kotzebue yesterday and they are requiring another test after getting into Alaska and then flying into Kotzebue. City said that you can get a test at the Anchorage airport and they will get you the results within the hour. This is getting a whole bunch confusing for this old man. Does anyone have info on this change of events?

As of yesterday the turnaround in Kotz has been pretty quick, an hour or so. I personally have just been rapid testing in anchorage then flying to Kotz, showing my results and flying out to the bush with no problems.

As soon as you leave the airport terminal in Kotz there is a herd of health care workers passing out declaration forms which you must fill out. If you have not tested within 48hours in AK you will need to retest and wait for results before flying on to your final location. Since June I know of 40+ guys that tested in Kotz only 2 were held up waiting on results, they are much more efficient now.

I fly through there again next week and will update if anything has changed.

LostArra

WKR
My family found a few locations in Wisconsin to get tested before they come. What was pretty unnerving to me was that their local and family doctor wouldn't aid them in any way of taking a test, scheduling a test or pointing them in the right direction. They had to find locations on their own and they are several hours drive away.

Three of our group had the same experience. Pretty disappointing.