Alaska travel

duchntr

WKR
How/where did you get tested? At your family doc? A local pharmacy doing drive thru testing? One of those mail in kits?

A quick google search should point you to a testing location, I would call the provider first to check their turnaround times. If they are slow see if they allow you to take a rapid test for quicker results.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
As of yesterday the turnaround in Kotz has been pretty quick, an hour or so. I personally have just been rapid testing in anchorage then flying to Kotz, showing my results and flying out to the bush with no problems.

As soon as you leave the airport terminal in Kotz there is a herd of health care workers passing out declaration forms which you must fill out. If you have not tested within 48hours in AK you will need to retest and wait for results before flying on to your final location. Since June I know of 40+ guys that tested in Kotz only 2 were held up waiting on results, they are much more efficient now.

I fly through there again next week and will update if anything has changed.
That's good news. Thanks for the heads up. Hoping things get even better between now and Sept. 1st.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Our fishing group of four went to different places:
North Carolina "Urgent Care" facility
North Carolina CVS pharmacy
South Carolina big hospital setting
Oklahoma "Urgent Care" facility

The big hospital setting was the only test result that ran late.

Thanks, this was super helpful. I will give my family doc a chance, but I bet he won’t help, because I don’t have any symptoms or anything, and I’ll probably either try a CVS drive thru test, or one of those mail in kits. Or both, to be safe. I’ll update on what I find out. My departure is set for 6 Aug.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
As of yesterday the turnaround in Kotz has been pretty quick, an hour or so. I personally have just been rapid testing in anchorage then flying to Kotz, showing my results and flying out to the bush with no problems.

As soon as you leave the airport terminal in Kotz there is a herd of health care workers passing out declaration forms which you must fill out. If you have not tested within 48hours in AK you will need to retest and wait for results before flying on to your final location. Since June I know of 40+ guys that tested in Kotz only 2 were held up waiting on results, they are much more efficient now.

I fly through there again next week and will update if anything has changed.
So I wonder if I still need a negative test in hand or can I just fly into anchorage from Seattle, take a Covid test, get on my connecting flight to Kotz, and test in Kotz and be good? I called anchorage airport and they said I would be allowed to "quarantine" at my final destination.

wolfpup

FNG
I'm flying into anchorage on the 4th with my wife and 4 kids. Ages 2-9. We're weighing our options between my wife and I getting tested before we get there or all getting tested at anchorage airport. Our oldest is 9, and we can't find anyone within a couple hour drive that will test our kids prior to departure. From what we're reading, getting tested in anchorage at the airport is our best course of action.

keller

WKR
I don't understand the whole issue with wanting to get tested and get the results back in a reasonable amount of time .their are places advertising come in and get tested at no cost. I would guess the federal government is paying for these tests.if you go in say you have symptoms or may have come into contact with someone you can get a test and have results in hours. I am off of work and thought my son and I could fly to ak for a week and fish. We are from wi and just as Nick said about his family getting the run around on testing I spent several hours on the phone mostly on hold trying to sort this out.they finally said my best option would be to go to Minnesota and get the test would be much quicker??

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I'm flying into anchorage on the 4th with my wife and 4 kids. Ages 2-9. We're weighing our options between my wife and I getting tested before we get there or all getting tested at anchorage airport. Our oldest is 9, and we can't find anyone within a couple hour drive that will test our kids prior to departure. From what we're reading, getting tested in anchorage at the airport is our best course of action.
I live in Wichita, KS and we havn't found anyone that can test without symptoms and get results in less than 5 days. We've basically called every testing facility within 2hrs drive. We'll probably do a mail in kit then test in Anchorage, then I guess test again in Kotzebue. We don't fly out until Sept. 12th so who knows what the situation will be by then. :cautious:

Its fascinating how varied the testing is regionally. I have a co-worker who got his family tested last week at a local Walgreens, for free, with results in about an hour.

Elkangle

WKR
So no test before we leave Seattle....just once when we get to Anchorage and other in kotz ?

Thats easy if its all at the air port

Southeast

FNG
I just got tested an hour ago at a hospital drive-thru (S. Dakota) and was told to expect online results in "2-3 days. I'm hoping it is two days so I can print something out before hopping on a northbound plane. Supposedly the test will cost about $140 and it's unknown whether my insurance company chips in.

mcseal2

WKR
I live in Wichita, KS and we havn't found anyone that can test without symptoms and get results in less than 5 days. We've basically called every testing facility within 2hrs drive. We'll probably do a mail in kit then test in Anchorage, then I guess test again in Kotzebue. We don't fly out until Sept. 12th so who knows what the situation will be by then. :cautious:

One of the guys going with me is from Andover. He has not found any test sites either. We fly out the 15th so please let me know if you figure anything out. I’ll message you if he does also. Thanks.

I had been told by my local hospital that I could get results in 2 days last week but this week now they are saying it will take 7. Back to the drawing board. Does anyone know how long it takes to get results at the airport in Alaska

Not likely to effect any of you, but in MN i found a little clinic called valley medical and wellness. They have 3 locations AND they have their own lab locally so they say results are next day. Cost is $95 out of pocket if you dont have a referral from your Dr.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I had been told by my local hospital that I could get results in 2 days last week but this week now they are saying it will take 7. Back to the drawing board. Does anyone know how long it takes to get results at the airport in Alaska
I've been told results in about an hour at the anchorage airport.

My parents just came up from mn and used valley. Had results in 20 hours. Filled out the ak travel form online before them came up and said it was a breeze at the airport. Headed to soldotna today for red fishing then to.homer to take the boat out for some halibut

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Whip

WKR
Even if Anchorage can provide results in an hour I would really rather know before I get on a plane. Sure wouldn't want to end up with a positive test up there. The trip would be over regardless.

I've been told results in about an hour at the anchorage airport.
From someone with direct experience? Interesting how wide a time frame I’ve heard. My boss got back to town last week and it took 5 days for his results. Most of my wife’s patients that have traveled over the last month said it’s taken 4-6 days for theirs. Not calling ya out, sincerely curious if things have changed. I got 3 groups coming up over the next month and it would be great if they just could deal with it in Anchorage.

Headed to soldotna today for red fishing then to.homer to take the boat out for some halibut
Good luck! Hit up Soldotna on your way back through. The OTF #s the last couple days are BANGING! 5-7 days til those fish hit fresh and with low counts thus far, hopefully the nets stay tied up all week. Can’t wait to get down there Wednesday, should be perfect through next weekend!

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
From someone with direct experience? Interesting how wide a time frame I’ve heard. My boss got back to town last week and it took 5 days for his results. Most of my wife’s patients that have traveled over the last month said it’s taken 4-6 days for theirs. Not calling ya out, sincerely curious if things have changed. I got 3 groups coming up over the next month and it would be great if they just could deal with it in Anchorage.

Good luck! Hit up Soldotna on your way back through. The OTF #s the last couple days are BANGING! 5-7 days til those fish hit fresh and with low counts thus far, hopefully the nets stay tied up all week. Can’t wait to get down there Wednesday, should be perfect through next weekend!

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I believe there are a few DIY type tests that have been given the green light by the FDA, such as this:

Anyone know if something like that will suffice?

Found my answer in the FAQ on Alaska’s COVID page. Here’s a screen shot. This may be a viable option for those who can’t get a COVID test with results quick enough. I may order two of these, just as backup. I personally don’t want to gamble on whether I’ll get quick results when I land in Fairbanks.

Link:

Attachments

• 9810EF77-24C8-4269-9A5B-F156BB4AFD64.png
    9810EF77-24C8-4269-9A5B-F156BB4AFD64.png
    562.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know whether COVID cancellations/travel restrictions would constitute a valid reason for ADFG to issue a refund of a big game locking tag?