Alaska travel

kpalu

FNG
I called the Alaska DHSS Covid hotline yesterday and asked specifically about quarantining at my final hunt location. They said that will still be aloud after the August 11 changes. The person I spoke to was very helpful and said to specify on the declaration form that we will not have any cell service at our quaratine location. My group all lives in the front range in Colorado and labs here are quoting anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days for test results. Really glad the state of Alaska is still allowing hunters to quarantine at their hunt location.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I called the Alaska DHSS Covid hotline yesterday and asked specifically about quarantining at my final hunt location. They said that will still be aloud after the August 11 changes. The person I spoke to was very helpful and said to specify on the declaration form that we will not have any cell service at our quaratine location. My group all lives in the front range in Colorado and labs here are quoting anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days for test results. Really glad the state of Alaska is still allowing hunters to quarantine at their hunt location.
I called the airport at Kotzebue and was told the same thing as long as we have results pending we can quarantine at our hunt location. The lady I spoke with was extremely helpful and very polite.

I had my negative test and declaration in hand at the Fairbanks airport. It was a piece of cake maybe added 5 minutes to the night. It seemed like even the people that didn't have a test weren't delayed very long. Grabbing a last real meal and off to the mountains

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
really glad the state of Alaska is still allowing hunters to quarantine at their hunt location.

I wonder if the Alaska Guide/Outfitters are have any problem recruiting Assistant Guides to actually run hunts. I doubt there is any amount of money that would entice me to spend the next three and a half to four months living in a 8' by 8' tent with a constant rotation of hunter/clients.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if the Alaska Guide/Outfitters are have any problem recruiting Assistant Guides to actually run hunts. I doubt there is any amount of money that would entice me to spend the next three and a half to four months living in a 8' by 8' tent with a constant rotation of hunter/clients.
Why not, whats the difference than any other year when a hunter can bring the flu with into camp
I'm a guide and am not afraid of being in a tent with diff hunters. If I were to get it and die, yea well. I can fall off a mountain and die also. Im not living my life in fear

AKBorn

WKR
Question--- How will I work this? I fly out at 4pm Texas time(1pm Alaska time) on a Monday Aug 31 arriving in ANC at 10pm(Alaska time) then overnight there before flying to Kotzebue on Sept 1 arriving about noon. My 72 hr. window would be like 10pm the previous Friday night or noon the previous Saturday pending whichever destination they require. You math experts help me out with this one. Should I wait and take it on the morning I depart that afternoon for being within the 72 hr. window?

I would reach out to the airport at Kotz and ask them - it seems from other/previous posts that they can make the local rule more stringent than the state's, so I would want to know what the rules are in Kotz as a first step...

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Why not, whats the difference than any other year when a hunter can bring the flu with into camp
I'm a guide and am not afraid of being in a tent with diff hunters. If I were to get it and die, yea well. I can fall off a mountain and die also. Im not living my life in fear

What is difference.......??? Hopefully you will not discover the difference. Having massive gonads and being a fearless man works just fine......right up to the point it does not work. Enjoy your season.

Falling off a mountain resulting in death........is a far different then slowly drowning in your own lung toxic fluids for days, in a cold wet sleeping bag, full of poop and urine because your to sick extract yourself and leave the tent. Knowing it will be ten to twelve days till the pilot comes to check on the camp. Here is a "Clue" Covid-19 is not the "Flu" you have past experience with.

Last edited:

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
What is difference.......??? Hopefully you will not discover the difference. Having massive gonads and being a fearless man works just fine......right up to the point it does not work. Enjoy your season.
At what point does the economic hardship outweigh the actual risk of catching the virus? There's a lot of people in Alaska and other states for the matter that depend on nonresidents to make a living and this virus isn't going away anytime soon...

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I would reach out to the airport at Kotz and ask them - it seems from other/previous posts that they can make the local rule more stringent than the state's, so I would want to know what the rules are in Kotz as a first step...
I will certainly do so, thanks. Hoping this new mandate that goes into effect on Tuesday will stay the same for a few weeks.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider

Falling off a mountain resulting in death........is a far different then slowly drowning in your own lung toxic fluids for days, in a cold wet sleeping bag, full of poop and urine because your to sick extract yourself and leave the tent. Knowing it will be ten to twelve days till the pilot comes to check on the camp. Here is a "Clue" Covid-19 is not the "Flu" you have past experience with.
I don't care how you die its the same result, yes some are slow some are not. Like I said I don't care if I die from it I will not live my life in fear like most of the world is because there brain washed and watch to much news
And actually I had Covid-19 and it was no different than the flu. Yes if you are elderly or have underlying conditions you may be effected differently but some of those same people could also die from the flu.
But who knows what is actually the truth since they count a lot of deaths as Covid, weather you died from an accident, cancer, heart attack, etc.

Last edited:

buzzy

WKR
Has anyone done the at home test in duplicate right before leaving in fear that they may get a false positive result? I have heard some tests have a high rate of reporting back a positive test when in reality they are not.

I’m assuming you could take as many as you want but wanted to see what others may be doing with multiple tests.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone done the at home test in duplicate right before leaving in fear that they may get a false positive result? I have heard some tests have a high rate of reporting back a positive test when in reality they are not.

I’m assuming you could take as many as you want but wanted to see what others may be doing with multiple tests.
I plan to take one from picture genetics and one from every well before I head up

Whip

WKR
I'm also contemplating taking two tests, but only because of the chance that the results could be lost or delayed. Tests also can show false negatives so if you end up with one of each which one are you going to believe? Sure, you could just use the negative one to get into the state legally.
But personally, I think I'd be very worried about being dropped in the bush for two weeks with the possibility that the negative result was the one that got it wrong. Maybe I'm one who would be asymptomatic. But my partner might not be so lucky, or vice versa.
I just don't know...

Last edited:
I'm getting one locally and have one from everley for the concern of one not getting results in a timely fashion. Not for the chance of a false positive.

Elkangle

WKR
Got a test today...easy as it gets...lady said 24-38 hours...another test scheduled on the 25th...hopefully its the same by then 🤞🤞🤞

keller

WKR
False positives...false negatives...either you have it or you dont!!! Nobody knows for sure the tests aren't accurate. My daughter tested positive so the county said the rest of the family needed to get tested. But testing facility said without symptoms May not get accurate results. County said we will contact testing facility either you have it or you don't??? We all tested negative