Alaska Unit 13 Moose Hunt

Hello everyone. I was fortunate enough to draw a moose tag in Unit 13 for the 2021 season. I know these types of threads are plentiful, but I haven’t been able to come across any regarding this particular unit. Does anybody have any insights into the moose population in that unit? I’ve seen on ADFG website success rates in that area have been low the past couple years.

Another question, how helpful do you think fish and game would be if I called them and asked them this question?

jhm2023

WKR
Unit 13 is rather large and varies a fair amount in types of terrain and habitat. I would narrow your search some. Start with checking harvest statistics on the fish and game website, not just for your particular tag but all of the unit 13 moose hunts. Contact the biologists that oversees moose in the area. All the biologists I've ever talked to have been helpful. My wife and I have taken a few decent moose in the northern section of 13B in the Alaska range.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R
Thanks for your suggestions jhm. I’ll be in 13B as well, DM336 to be more specific. I will definitely find out how I can get in contact with the biologist over the area!

are you planning on hiking in or flying in some where? The clearwater creek control use area is non motorized area. I have hunted the clearwater creek area for caribou before and saw some smaller bull moose off in the distance. near the rivers (we hiked in 4 miles). If you're able to find a plane that can get you in some where i think you would have a better chance, mostly because there should be less people around the area, most of the people you might see will be caribou hunting but they will still be around there.

OP
R
We’ll be taking four wheelers into the bush about four hours from where we park. Unfortunately flying in isn’t an option for me. We’ll be quite a ways from Clearwater creek.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations sir...and an advanced welcome to Alaska!

Unit-13 is a huge and beautiful area, and it is also the most heavily hunted GMU in Alaska. Sounds like you've already got it figured out regarding what/how/where you're going.

A 4-brow/50" area adds another challenge, but I'm sure you're on it. I'll humbly admit that I suck at judging 50" with any kind of accurate reliability...so I was ALWAYS a brow-tine counter in those areas, and that's with over thirty years of moose hunting here in Alaska! Consequently, I've spent the last eight years and a lot of hard-earned money flying to remote "any bull" hunting areas...I personally seek the remote solitude of a hunting adventure.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
OP
R
AKDock, thanks for the welcome! I’m likely going to follow your lead and go with the four brow tine method. For me, who has never seen a moose in person, I would bet I’ll think even the smallest of bulls is a dandy! Luckily the fellow I’ll be hunting with is a seasoned moose hunter and Alaskan resident and will help me make the right decision!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah 13B is a tough one. Pressure is high and early season bulls get taken quickly, while the survivors get pushed into rugged pockets where motors cant reach. Finding the nexus of pressure from the Denali Hwy will be tough, but 4 hours on a wheeler ain't enough time IMO to get beyond the pressured terrain.

Some guys line up streams for 2 days to find one bull in 8 days in 13B. Wheeler hunters are in the field several days before opener just to leverage their success against others.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
You all are making this Pennsylvania boy feel bad about his odds!!!
I'm sorry if I added to that...not my intentions at all.

You are going to have an adventure for sure in an area where the scenery is absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed the many years that I ATV hunted in Unit-13...and I did harvest quite a few bulls during those years.

Despite the fact that I have preferred to hunt moose in other units these past years, I wouldn't trade those Unit-13 years and experiences at all...I included some pictures to enjoy that are in Unit-13 from ATV hunts.

That said, the comments that others have made are true...it's just many times part of ATV hunting these days in that particular GMU...get ready for it...and for sure enjoy whatever the adventure yields...harvest or no harvest.

MooseHunt2007 044.jpgHunting2006 021.jpgHunting2006 020.jpgMooseHunt2007 041.jpg

Last edited:

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
First time hunting moose and from a ATV in one of the heaviest hunted part of the state, I would put your odds off success in the low single digits. Unless you got a local who knows a honey hole to show you.

You got remember community harvest moose hunts keep the bull numbers down and gets a week 10 day headstart and over 7K locals are restricted to hunting moose in that unit because they took the tier 1 caribou tag for that unit and 50 inch/4 browtine and spike/fork tag is unlimited to locals over the counter.

Also 30% of 13B is non motorized. I would go with one of Larry's suggestions if you can't get a plane to drop you off. Line a canoe or raft for a few days and get away from the ATV trails and accessible areas or enjoy your Alaskan camping trip.

hodgeman

WKR
GMU13 is heavily hunted along any sort of road or trail corridor. There are moose there, but you gotta put some distance between you and the crowd to up your odds. Last year was a tough winter on the moose population in the AK Range with a whole lot of snow so calf recruitment was down and winter kill was high.

I would replan the hunt without wheelers in a non motor area.

Agree with above, if you think you’re going to wheeler in and shoot a 50/4” bull in unit 13 you might as well stay home. But if you’re looking for a badass adventure and some amazing scenery then come on. I love hunting unit 13, but I treat it like bowling. Never take it serious or you’ll end up mad.

OP
R
AKDoc, it seems like a beautiful area, and I am certainly excited even having the opportunity to go hunt this area!

As far as changing the hunt plans, unfortunately it’s out of the question. I’m really a guest on this trip, and the fella I’m going with has had decent luck 5 out of the last 7 years.

If anything this hunt will serve as a learning experience for me for the next one! That being said, since we’ve covered hunting pressure and success rates, what else should we cover?! 😂😂

Last edited:

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt 13 every year and have had good success but it’s tough. A lot of sub legal bulls and a lot of pressure. Took 18 days to get my bull last year. Do your self a favor and get dropped by plane somewhere your odds and experience will be a lot better.