Alaska unit 20 A

JPD350

WKR
In the process of planing a hunt next Sept, If you or know someone who has hunted this unit and don't mind talking about your experience, good or bad! I would sure appreciate it.

JP

Last edited:
OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Let me try a different approach, Wright Air Service has suggested an area to drop us, I have spoken with the area biologist and he has said the area is known for some good bulls each year and the moose population there is strong, unfortunately others I have spoken with says 20 A is over hunted and you may never even see a legal bull.

From what I have found Wright Air Service has a great reputation and I have not heard anything other then that, why not trust them on the drop location since the biologist agrees it is a good area, despite what others have said?

My first choice was Forty mile air and unit 20 E but chances of getting the opportunity to go with them in 2014 is very very low due to repeat customers getting first dibs each year. They told me to book a caribou hunt for 2014 and then 2015 I could be on the first up list for moose, unfortunately I can't afford to do 2 Alaska hunts!

Anyway it seems to be the same thing for Forty mile air as with Wright air, they tend to tell you where they have available locations to drop you and you just have to trust the drop is a good location.

Would appreciate any input
JP

Bambistew

WKR
What type of hunt are you looking for?

If you are looking for solitude and having a big piece of wilderness all to yourself, you should avoid any place withing 150 miles of Fairbanks. You will see other hunters just about anywhere you go. They might not be close but odds are you will see someone, in a boat, plane, horse, ATV, hiking, etc.

My experience in 20A... lots of air traffic, outfitters (clue #1 of good hunting in Alaska) and hunters. I hunted 20A 3 years in a row, we filled every tag we had in 6-8 days. 20A has a lot of moose AND hunters. However there is plenty of room to carve out your own little slice and hunt all your own. You might have to work for it and walk more than half a mile from the landing strip. There are plenty of nice bulls killed in that unit every year. Maybe not giants, like some other places, but some dang nice bulls. You will likely see 2-3x as many moose as you will in 20E.

Both air taxis mentioned have been in business for a long time, and have many repeat customers. They can't ensure you will kill a moose, or even see one for that matter, but they do their best to put you in good spots, where hunters have done well in the past and not just some random drop off location. They can't hold your hand, and can only give so much information, as they're only transporters. It doesn't mater where you go, some areas tend to be better than others, and there are only so many really good areas to go around. IMO, even those really good areas can sometimes flop.

20A has one of the highest moose densities in the state. You could chose some other unit and see very few to no legal bulls. Its hunting, take a chance and go for it.

Ray

WKR
The thing with the air services is that they know strips where they can safely get you in and then you and your moose out. There are not strips all over that will allow that.

If the air service is going to use a 206 then that strip will be more like a runway and could be covered up in private planes. If they are using a cub then the spots may have fewer private planes, but not no other hunters. Planes should get you away from ATV hunters.

There are other services out of delta junction that may have other options for you. However you will have to rent a car to get there.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've flown with Wrights several times over the years and they are a first class operation and even though i've never flown with 40 Mile, i've heard the same about them. Keep in mind that a lot of air charters will not drop you in certain areas due to guides working in those areas. Bambistew is right about 20A, there are a ton of moose in that unit and it does get a lot of pressure but it's a big area so finding a spot to hunt shouldn't be much of a problem. You should also keep in mind that charters are being booked as we speak and the longer you wait, the better the chance of someone else getting that spot.

Whenever I decide to do a fly in, I always get it booked close to a year in advance, that way I stand a much better chance of getting the area I want. Something else you might consider is hiring a hunt planner. They've done all the homework for you and can arrange air charters and whatever else you might need for your hunt. Larry Bartlett is one of the best in the state, i've used his services once before and I'd have no problem doing so again.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Thanks for the input and you guys are right on, exactly the info I have found since I posted. I did talk to Larry and would love to do a hunt using his services, it is the type of hunt I have been wanting but my friend doesn't have the funds to do it right now so more affordable is what I have to do

Flight schedule is confirmed with Wright Air and will hunt in 20 A, we will be dropped on the 14th and picked up on the 26th. After talking with 4 different people that are knowledgeable in 20 A, (one being the area biologist) I am sure I will have a decent chance to kill and if not I will make the absolute very best out of the experience.

The plan; My friend is driving to Fbks since he is semi-retired and has the time, he will take a freezer and small generator to bring the meat back. My friends son just moved to Fbks (he doesn't hunt) so if we get lucky with a moose we will have the flight service come pick up the meat from the field and my friends son will pick it up and take it to a processor while we keep hunting. I will fly up a couple days before the hunt then drive back with him, I am really looking forward to the 3700 mile drive back as well.

I guess now I am wondering if Alaska Game & Fish has issues with the meat coming out of the field without the hunter, anyone know how to work this in Alaska? I will have to look into this, in NM your license stays with the meat and you have to give the processor your hunting license while they are in possession of the meat.

JP

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Just fill out a change of possession tag and you should be alright.

Thanks for the input and you guys are right on, exactly the info I have found since I posted. I did talk to Larry and would love to do a hunt using his services, it is the type of hunt I have been wanting but my friend doesn't have the funds to do it right now so more affordable is what I have to do

The plan; My friend is driving to Fbks since he is semi-retired and has the time, he will take a freezer and small generator to bring the meat back. My friends son just moved to Fbks (he doesn't hunt) so if we get lucky with a moose we will have the flight service come pick up the meat from the field and my friends son will pick it up and take it to a processor while we keep hunting. I will fly up a couple days before the hunt then drive back with him, I am really looking forward to the 3700 mile drive back as well.

I guess now I am wondering if Alaska Game & Fish has issues with the meat coming out of the field without the hunter, anyone know how to work this in Alaska? I will have to look into this, in NM your license stays with the meat and you have to give the processor your hunting license while they are in possession of the meat.

JP

I did a similar trip this year including flying with Wright, sending out game (without hunter) and driving up from the lower 48.

Flying with Wright was great and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The regs have the meat transfer report inside, just fill it out.

The drive was a good experience, but I probably won't do that again.......... :)

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, i dido some comments here about Wright Air and 40-mile Air. The one thing to consider when doing a drop hunt is to setup a base camp at the strip. use this area to launch daily jaunts to vantage points to scout for moose. This base camp helps deter others who are looking for a quick and easy drop via private plane.

It's not a problem filling out a Transfer of Possession form before the pilot flies your meat/antlers back to town. Wright Air has a nice cooler for your meat and it'll be cared for once it hits the tarmack.

Keep in mind that you'll want to set some basic expectations for you and your partners, expecting a 50% success rate on a good week. Hunt slowly and be patient, glass a lot and break a lot of sticks and branches. The timeline you chose is perfect for 20A moose behavior. Scrape trees and break sticks often throughout the day, and always have your rifle ready in camp. Those moose around drop camp areas get called a lot more than remote strips, so they may not respond readily to your calls...but they might very well come to your calling location near dark or early morning. they'll sneak in on you when you least expect it.

Lastly, be patient when you do finally spot a bull. Make sure the antlers meet browtine restrictions or spread width minimum of 50".

Good luck, JPD

larry

mooster

WKR
In the process of planing a hunt next Sept, If you or know someone who has hunted this unit and don't mind talking about your experience, good or bad! I would sure appreciate it.

JP
How did your hunt go?

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
The hunt in general was pretty cool and there were moose way out in the flats but we couldn't get them to come in so nothing was killed. Unfortunately the problem IMO was that locals had hit this spot right before we got dropped, we found 3 fresh kill sites within our area that grizzlies had taken over. I am very sure that this drop area would have been an action filled spot had we been the first people in there because there was moose sign everywhere. I can't help but feel a bit screwed by Wright Air because we come to find out that they were the ones who flew the locals in, so they knew this spot had already been hit hard. I also picked up all kinds of trash around the area, I just don't understand why or how people can just throw it down without regard...... LOL I am not bashing locals, it's just that Wright Air said it was locals they flew in. Bottom line is that I didn't ask the right questions to get the type of hunt I wanted.

Since then I've had a great remote and trash free experience doing a float hunt through Larry Bartlett, nothing killed on that hunt but man what an adventure it was!! I wanted to do another hunt through Larry in 2020 but I left the booking up to my friend and somehow he did not secure the date and get it done. Food for thought, If your buddy is the one that is going to book a hunt, make sure you both know the details needed to get it booked.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your first trip sounded unfortunate in several ways, but your attitude about it sure seems good...and thanks for picking-up the trash. There were some guys ahead of us this year, and I spent the first day burying their shit-piles and butt-wipes, which they left all over the place. FYI...these guys were from out of state...poor behavior seems to be a global phenomena.

I'm really glad to hear that you had a great remote float adventure, which are my absolute favorite trips up here. My son got his first grizzly with me on a hundred-mile pack-raft float a couple months ago. I've never used a hunt planner, but Larry would be it if I did...we've bought several of his excellent inflatables over the years.

I hope you make it back up here again!

Hoytgamer

FNG
The last two years I killed a moose in heavily hunted areas, one had about 4 camps within a mile. It’s really about just seeing them and be willing to go where others arnt. You’ll pay the man when it comes to packing though.