Alaska Unit 23 Federal land Closure Update?

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a clue if this closure will be renewed in 2021?

Federal subsistence regulations are in effect until June 30. The WACH working group met in December. I haven’t heard what their management recommendations were but if they remain consistent, they will push for a hunt. Annual harvest is around 12,000 (3,600 cows). Conservative harvestable surplus for a declining herd of 200,000 is around 14,000. Herd was estimated at 259,000 in 2017.

Federal Subsistence Board meets at the end of January. They will drag their feet. I wouldn’t expect an answer by then. It likely won’t be discussed until spring/summer 2020. I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting a hunt. They will make their decision based off emotions, not numbers. There are proposals in the federal subsistence plan to open it up to calves and for a 12 month bull season.

Hopefully Mr. Bartlett can chime in. He knows more about the topic than I can ever pretend to know.

Last edited:
OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Federal subsistence regulations are in effect until June 30. The WACH working group met in December. I haven’t heard what their management recommendations were but if they remain consistent, they will push for a hunt. Annual harvest is around 12,000 (3,600 cows). Conservative harvestable surplus for a declining herd of 200,000 is around 14,000. Herd was estimated at 259,000 in 2017.

Federal Subsistence Board meets at the end of January. They will drag their feet. I wouldn’t expect an answer by then. It likely won’t be discussed until spring/summer 2020. I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting a hunt. They will make their decision based off emotions, not numbers. There are proposals in the federal subsistence plan to open it up to calves and for a 12 month bull season.

Hopefully Mr. Bartlett can chime in. He knows more about the topic than I can ever pretend to know.
I know that he has been adamantly opposed to this closure and hopefully he can give some insight as to what may be in the works. Sad state of affairs when Feds try to usurp what the state has been doing to increase opportunities for years. Thanks for chiming in.

Currently there is no closure for you but there is for out of state moose, thank you Griz! There is plenty of State land if the Fed land is closed.

Walt