Alaska unit 26b

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has pics of it and an explanation

Ahh, yes. I saw this, just didn’t make the connection (I’ve read through so many threads). I forget you guys went in September in 23. We will be in August and could go to either unit but I suspect we will end up in 26 and so I’m guess we won’t really have any trees (even alders). So I’m curious what other have done in that situation.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
mcseal2 - what time did your inbound flight to OTZ get you there? We plan to be ready to go like your group was so Jared can get us out that day. However, I am sure arrival time plays a factor so I am curious as to what yours was. We will be arriving August 10 so there should be much more daylight remaining that when you guys arrived.

mcseal2

WKR
I’d have to look. It left Anchorage in the morning, the earlier of the two flights of the day at that time.

BowMan86

FNG
Anyone have any input on specific boots or footwear for keeping feet dry? I haven't been on the unit 26 tundra, but have been in many other places in Alaska and Canada. Are plastic mountaineering boots with Glacier socks, or something like Chota Boots necessary, or are my good ole Scarpas and gaiters sufficient? What about some sort of light weight waders?

Edit: I should add that I'll be there in mid-August.
I used a good comfortable pair of rubber boots. Rough on your feet for the amount of walking you will have to do on the tundra but better than walking in wet boots all day. One thing to be careful of, we crossed a couple small creeks on our way out. It was no problem with rubber boots and only a few inches deep. It rained the next few days and that same spot we crossed just a few days earlier was waist deep. If you plan on crossing any water, it may be worth being hip waders along.

TowerT

FNG
You need comfortable Waterproof boots [comfortable is the key word]. because you don't want your feet getting sore from boots and that alone can ruin your hunting experience.

Nontyp

FNG
I used a pair of Chota Hippies with a pair of Merrel synthetic hikers that were one size bigger. If it is a wet year you will be crossing lots of drainages that are knee deep or spending a lot of time walking around the water. If it’s a dry year leather boots and gaiters.