Alaska vacation questions?

So after our canceled cruise and some Rokslide advice, we pulled the trigger and we will be flying into Anchorage on July 3rd and staying until the 11th.

But now I have some other questions!

#1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a halibut/salmon or halibut/rockfish charter out of Homer or that general area? We will be down there the last half of our trip and I'd like to do some salt water fishing.

#2. Rental cars - do you recommend an SUV or is a car fine for most things? Plan is to hit Denali, then a few places north of anchorage prior to heading down to the Kenai and seeing Kenai fjords NP and spending time in Homer. Might hit some rivers or streams to wet a line and definitely hiking but most activities will be along the main roads.

#3. Take a fishing pole or just do a guided trip or two? I plan one day of a chartered/guided fishing but I will also have some afternoons or mornings where I could spend an hour or two fishing. . . Worth the hassle of traveling with a pole? How much trouble is it to take a pole as carry-on baggage? Alaska air says it should be fine but counts as your carry-on item, I'm assuming in a case it's simple?

#4. Talk to me about bear tours. . . I've seen tons of these advertised from $450 to $850 for a day tour by boat or plane to see Brown bears in lake Clark NP or Katmai NP. Is this a worth while trip? Better off just flight seeing? Will we most likely be seeing a fair about of bears if we spend 4 days down on the peninsula?

We have a good mix of Airbnb as well as a few days in a nice lodge. We have our Denali bus tour booked, a boat tour of Kenai fjords booked and debating flight seeing or bear tour of lake Clarke NP. Also doing at least one day of fishing, and some time hiking. Our days are filling up, and I know you could spend 2 weeks in the area and not see half. Do you see any glaring misses that we really should see or do?

Thanks everyone!

Brooks alaskan adventures for fishing in homer. Central charters and driftwood charters are also good boats to get on. I would bring a rod because they generally open up the fishing lagoon for snagging kings about that time. You could also try flossing for reds on the kenai. The second run should be trickling in by then. You probably won't see to many bears on the kenai peninsula unless you hike up the russian river where the first run reds will be spawning. There are a few places in homer that fly across the inlet to go see the bears as well. Shoot me a message when it gets closer. I can let ya know how the fishing is going on the kenai for reds and if I hear about the king snagging opening up I will let you know.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Kenai Fjords via a car, so the park entrance or whatever they call it is pretty lame. There's much better road accessible glaciers, as exit glacier is all but gone. Even compared to 5 years ago. The boat and plane accessible stuff is great.

The exception is if you do the hike up to/over the harding ice fields. That will get you some great views of unique things.

If you do spring for a flight to see bears, look into just staying at Brooks Camp in Katmai for a night or two.
I reccomend being in a boat or airplane as much as possible. Visiting Alaska by car is like visiting Rhode Island and thinking you saw the US.

For fishing bring the pole. Spend a day with a guide so they can show you how to fish for what you're targeting. Because of weird regs, some of our fishing is a lot different than anywhere else I've been. Red Salmon in fresh water comes to mind.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kenai Fjords via a car, so the park entrance or whatever they call it is pretty lame. There's much better road accessible glaciers, as exit glacier is all but gone. Even compared to 5 years ago. The boat and plane accessible stuff is great.

The exception is if you do the hike up to/over the harding ice fields. That will get you some great views of unique things.

If you do spring for a flight to see bears, look into just staying at Brooks Camp in Katmai for a night or two.
I reccomend being in a boat or airplane as much as possible. Visiting Alaska by car is like visiting Rhode Island and thinking you saw the US.

For fishing bring the pole. Spend a day with a guide so they can show you how to fish for what you're targeting. Because of weird regs, some of our fishing is a lot different than anywhere else I've been. Red Salmon in fresh water comes to mind.

Exit glacier is a good hike but it seems like that’s about as much of the park as you can see unless you take a boat or a plane.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That is what I've heard, we have a boat tour planned to see more of the park.

Go on a good boat tour, spend a little more $$$. My wife wanted to go on a ride when we were there a few years back, I skimped because I did t want to spend money....I ended up spending like 400 dollars and all we saw was some gay dalls porpoise....the beer on the boat was like 10 dollars a can too.

22lr

WKR
So after our canceled cruise and some Rokslide advice, we pulled the trigger and we will be flying into Anchorage on July 3rd and staying until the 11th.

But now I have some other questions!

#1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a halibut/salmon or halibut/rockfish charter out of Homer or that general area? We will be down there the last half of our trip and I'd like to do some salt water fishing.

#2. Rental cars - do you recommend an SUV or is a car fine for most things? Plan is to hit Denali, then a few places north of anchorage prior to heading down to the Kenai and seeing Kenai fjords NP and spending time in Homer. Might hit some rivers or streams to wet a line and definitely hiking but most activities will be along the main roads.

#3. Take a fishing pole or just do a guided trip or two? I plan one day of a chartered/guided fishing but I will also have some afternoons or mornings where I could spend an hour or two fishing. . . Worth the hassle of traveling with a pole? How much trouble is it to take a pole as carry-on baggage? Alaska air says it should be fine but counts as your carry-on item, I'm assuming in a case it's simple?

#4. Talk to me about bear tours. . . I've seen tons of these advertised from $450 to $850 for a day tour by boat or plane to see Brown bears in lake Clark NP or Katmai NP. Is this a worth while trip? Better off just flight seeing? Will we most likely be seeing a fair about of bears if we spend 4 days down on the peninsula?

We have a good mix of Airbnb as well as a few days in a nice lodge. We have our Denali bus tour booked, a boat tour of Kenai fjords booked and debating flight seeing or bear tour of lake Clarke NP. Also doing at least one day of fishing, and some time hiking. Our days are filling up, and I know you could spend 2 weeks in the area and not see half. Do you see any glaring misses that we really should see or do?

Thanks everyone!

#1: I have had great luck with Puffin Charters, great crew!

#2: a car will get you everywhere and gas is definitely more expensive so the MPG will be worth it. If the rental agency restricts you from a road then a SUV won't matter.

#3: just go to Cabelas and buy a rod at the same time you get all your licenses. If going for salmon in the rivers then a $65 combo Salmon rod from Canelas will do everything you need. Keep in mind, the salmon rivers are mostly combat fishing. You throw a line in, yank back, reel, repeat. Some people may notice a difference on premium tackle, but your maybe throwing 30-50ft of line, a nice rod/reel just doesn't matter as much as weights and speed. Buy a cheap one here and avoid the hassle of flying with it (or fly back with it for that matter).

#4, I actually got my wife a trip out to Brooks Falls this year. Go to a known hotspot or pass. Its fairly expensive but way more of a chance you will see something cool. But, $800 a person will go a long ways up here for other stuff so it may or may not be worth it to you.

AKBorn

WKR
FYI that most rental agencies in Anchorage stipulate that you sing a waiver attesting that you will not drive the rental on gravel or dirt roads (the Denali Highway is one road that they are thinking of, but that is NOT the Denali Park entrance road which is paved).

Easy to check a pole in a case, also easy to buy one in Anchortown as has been suggested.

Lots of places to wet a line right along the road in AK.

GLB

WKR
Fish with Hill Charters out of Seward. Seward is a good place to visit. Whatever you do don’t spend much time in Anchorage.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
FYI that most rental agencies in Anchorage stipulate that you sing a waiver attesting that you will not drive the rental on gravel or dirt roads (the Denali Highway is one road that they are thinking of, but that is NOT the Denali Park entrance road which is paved).

Easy to check a pole in a case, also easy to buy one in Anchortown as has been suggested.

Lots of places to wet a line right along the road in AK.

I know a guy who got into a world of shit with a rental company because he took the thing on the McCarthy road and broke down.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm headed to Alaska July 18th. My buddy has a small cabin on the Kenai where we're going to get into some reds. Going to Valdez for a halibut charter on the 27th. Any other fishing where it's fishing and not snagging? Grayling or rainbows?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
We've had a bunch of good times hunting and fishing with Homer Ocean Charters. Captain Billy is the man. July before last we caught salmon until we were bored and them limited on nice halibut.

The car rentals in Anchorage were really tight so plan carefully. We adjusted flights so we got in 2 hours early but neglected to move the car rental pick-up time accordingly. We then had to sit at the airport for 4 hours waiting for a car. Sucky way to start a vacation.

AKBorn

WKR
I'm headed to Alaska July 18th. My buddy has a small cabin on the Kenai where we're going to get into some reds. Going to Valdez for a halibut charter on the 27th. Any other fishing where it's fishing and not snagging? Grayling or rainbows?

Your buddy is probably the best source of where you can get into rainbows on/near the Kenai. There are some small/midsize lakes and streams in that area that may have good grayling fishing as well.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Your buddy is probably the best source of where you can get into rainbows on/near the Kenai. There are some small/midsize lakes and streams in that area that may have good grayling fishing as well.
Thank you.

Werty

WKR
I would highly reccomend driving the Denali hwy and fishing ( fly rod) for grayling. I caught so many last time, I got tired. Lived up in Anchorage for a couple of years, I do miss Alaska.